1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Top 5 most underappreciated Rams

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Prime Time, Jun 22, 2014.

1. LazyWinker Active Member

I think the plan was to plug Zack Martin in at Center.

2. den-the-coach Well-Known Member

Really? With Barret Jones on the roster and I know they like Scott Wells. I'm quite sure the plan was Martin to play RT and with Barksdale being a free agent in 2015 the Rams would have their bookends for many years to come. I really don't think the plan was Martin at center, but maybe you have more inside information as I'm just going with Thomas Paine and good old fashioned common sense.

BonifayRam and rhinobean like this.
  3. Rmfnlt Member

You're not alone. I like it that he's a complete TE.. can block and now, can catch.

Cook annoys me because he basically refuses to block.

Like the Hekker pick earlier... and I'll add Laurinaitis... he's very steady but not spectacular... those tend to get overlooked at times.

4. Av8R New Member

I would have to agree with you here!

5. Sum1 Well-Known Member

1. Joe Barksdale (Continually this offseason man fans were looking for his replacement despite his above average performance)
    2. Kendall Langford (similar to Barksdale)
    3. Rodney McCleod (Not a spectacular starter, but versatile and young. Has a chance to ascend or at least be a serviceable super-sub)
    4. Isaiah Pead (One of the better special teams players on the team, frequently dismissed based solely on his draft position)
    5. James Lauranaitis (Very consistent, very reliable...often criticized because of lack of the "big play")

TShram03 likes this.
  6. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

Good list. It always frustrates me when people say Barksdale needs to be replaced.

7. Prime Time RODerator

8. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

Good stuff. And Hayes is almost invaluable in the locker room. The whole idea of veteran locker room leadership is underappreciated, IMO.

TShram03 likes this.
  9. Sum1 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time agreeing with your list...not because I think the players listed are bad by any means...but because I think most any fan values Hayes just as you state him. I think the same can be said for Hekker. Barksdale I totally agree with. Trumaine Johnson I think isn't undervalued as much as he is over-criticized. And Tavon is just a young player that had overly high expectations early and played with the backup QB late, but most fans see it for what it is.

NJRamsFan likes this.
  10. DaveFan'51 Well-Known Member

I like Barksdale RT is relatively new to him, he's responded very well! I also get frustrated when people undervalue the word Chris Long does and want to replace him!!

LumberTubs and A55VA6 like this.
  11. Zaphod Active Member

Oh I definitely don't think he needs to be replaced.

But I'm sure a lot of people are questioning whether or not he will be worth what other teams offer him next year.

12. SteveBrown Member

5. Pettis, 4. Barksdale, 3. Hekker, 2. Tru, 1.Langford
    The D has no chance without Brockers and Langford clogging up the middle.

I contend that taking away traps and pulls (30-60% of runs) that no one, no one, no one ran up the middle with straight man blocking....that gives
    the Rams a lot of freedom to do a lot of crazy stuff.

DaveFan'51 likes this.
  13. TShram03 New Member

Fair enough. I get what you're saying. Like I said, I kind of took liberties to fit the five players I wanted to discuss. Under-appreciated AND/OR undervalued or underrated by not just Rams fans but national football fans/media alike

Sum1BTRthnU likes this.
  14. TShram03 New Member

I like this list as well. All five I gave legitimate thought to while crafting mine.

15. Rams and Gators Well-Known Member Pit Boss

He'd be in my over-rated list, from what I've seen most want to defend him/find any positive just because he was drafted highly, I think if he was a 7th round pick he'd be long gone by this point.

rhinobean likes this.
  16. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

Under appreciated; Jared Cook

17. LazyWinker Active Member

From Nick Wagoner. http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9175/davin-joseph-took-long-road-to-rams

Martin was the most versatile offensive lineman available in the draft. He can play all 5 spots and the Cowboys are using him at guard.

18. SteveBrown Member

After watching the whole season, I have to say Jared Cook made many, many key plays...ya is he 'weak' at the point and weak when battling in coverage...he is alex barron weak....like baseball player weak....but as the 3rd-4th option he is awesome.....he won't win a game (like he did at AZ), but he is quite a threat.

still I don't like him is a 'football' player.

19. LumberTubs Member

I can't be bothered to list five players but I'm surprised there's only been one mention of Austin Pettis. The guy is solid, reliable and Sam trusts him. He may not be flashy but do we seriously expect every WR in the league to be like that? Fact is teams need receivers like Pettis that can be go to guy's in short yardage situations plus he's a big body redzone threat. He's the very definition of a situational, possession receiver. He has his place on this team and has proven himself. I'd happily see him stay on the roster for the foreseeable future.

rhinobean and kurtfaulk like this.
  20. LumberTubs Member

PFF tweeted something a few months back that Chris Long retweeted. It was a table that included the number of QB pressures by DE's. Chris Long was way up there. He demonstrates how overvalued the sack stat can be (I stress the 'can'). Chris Long consistently prevents opposition QB's from being comfortable in the pocket which is huge

DaveFan'51 likes this.