Top 5 most underappreciated Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Loved Corey Harkey at UCLA and I knew he would make the Ram squad because he was the best blocking TE in the draft that year and has shocked everyone with his ability to catch the football as well. Joe Barksdale the jury is still out IMO...Seemed to get beat around the end more often than not, however, maybe being the number one guy from day one will give him more confidence. There is a reason the Rams thought about trading up for Zack Martin and that was to play RT!
I think the plan was to plug Zack Martin in at Center.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think the plan was to plug Zack Martin in at Center.

Really? With Barret Jones on the roster and I know they like Scott Wells. I'm quite sure the plan was Martin to play RT and with Barksdale being a free agent in 2015 the Rams would have their bookends for many years to come. I really don't think the plan was Martin at center, but maybe you have more inside information as I'm just going with Thomas Paine and good old fashioned common sense.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After those two TD's in preseason he looked like Gronk, I still think he's got it, but looks like I'm alone

You're not alone. I like it that he's a complete TE.. can block and now, can catch.

Cook annoys me because he basically refuses to block.

Like the Hekker pick earlier... and I'll add Laurinaitis... he's very steady but not spectacular... those tend to get overlooked at times.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
1. Joe Barksdale (Continually this offseason man fans were looking for his replacement despite his above average performance)
2. Kendall Langford (similar to Barksdale)
3. Rodney McCleod (Not a spectacular starter, but versatile and young. Has a chance to ascend or at least be a serviceable super-sub)
4. Isaiah Pead (One of the better special teams players on the team, frequently dismissed based solely on his draft position)
5. James Lauranaitis (Very consistent, very reliable...often criticized because of lack of the "big play")

A55VA6

Legend
Good list. It always frustrates me when people say Barksdale needs to be replaced.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll play. It's under-appreciated and/or undervalued by the average fan:

5. WR Tavon Austin: Some fans seem disappointed with Tavon's rookie campaign due to the price required to acquire him. Fine if that's the case, it's your prerogative. I was extremely pleased with the flashes that I saw from Tavon in his rookie season. He scored six TDs, had two called back and always looked like one of (often the most) explosive players on the field when Brian Schottenheimer got better at creating the opportunities for him. I expect that trend to continue in 2014 and Tavon to improve on his numbers from his first year in the leauge

4. T Joe Barksdale: Agree with Ted Bryant's assessment completely. I'm completely fine if he's the Rams long term answer at right tackle.

3. DE William Hayes: The Rams are really lucky to have a player the caliber of Hayes be completely committed to fulfilling his role as a backup. He is what makes the Rams defensive line, arguably, the best and deepest in the league. Hayes is a complete player who I thoroughly enjoy rooting for.

2. P Johnny Hekker: I don't think it's a stretch to say that outside Robert Quinn there's not a player on this roster who is better at his position relative to the rest of the league than the Rams punter. His 2013 was, literally, historically good when it comes to net punting. Credit the coverage teams as well, but Johnny's big leg gives that unit the hang time needed to get down the field and get in position.

1. CB Trumaine Johnson: Janoris is usually the one who gets all the attention -- for better or worse -- due to his high-upside potential. Johnson, though, was the better player (more consistent) in his 2nd year. I expect the steady improvement to continue in 2014.
Good stuff. And Hayes is almost invaluable in the locker room. The whole idea of veteran locker room leadership is underappreciated, IMO.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'll play. It's under-appreciated and/or undervalued by the average fan:

5. WR Tavon Austin: Some fans seem disappointed with Tavon's rookie campaign due to the price required to acquire him. Fine if that's the case, it's your prerogative. I was extremely pleased with the flashes that I saw from Tavon in his rookie season. He scored six TDs, had two called back and always looked like one of (often the most) explosive players on the field when Brian Schottenheimer got better at creating the opportunities for him. I expect that trend to continue in 2014 and Tavon to improve on his numbers from his first year in the leauge

4. T Joe Barksdale: Agree with Ted Bryant's assessment completely. I'm completely fine if he's the Rams long term answer at right tackle.

3. DE William Hayes: The Rams are really lucky to have a player the caliber of Hayes be completely committed to fulfilling his role as a backup. He is what makes the Rams defensive line, arguably, the best and deepest in the league. Hayes is a complete player who I thoroughly enjoy rooting for.

2. P Johnny Hekker: I don't think it's a stretch to say that outside Robert Quinn there's not a player on this roster who is better at his position relative to the rest of the league than the Rams punter. His 2013 was, literally, historically good when it comes to net punting. Credit the coverage teams as well, but Johnny's big leg gives that unit the hang time needed to get down the field and get in position.

1. CB Trumaine Johnson: Janoris is usually the one who gets all the attention -- for better or worse -- due to his high-upside potential. Johnson, though, was the better player (more consistent) in his 2nd year. I expect the steady improvement to continue in 2014.

I have a hard time agreeing with your list...not because I think the players listed are bad by any means...but because I think most any fan values Hayes just as you state him. I think the same can be said for Hekker. Barksdale I totally agree with. Trumaine Johnson I think isn't undervalued as much as he is over-criticized. And Tavon is just a young player that had overly high expectations early and played with the backup QB late, but most fans see it for what it is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good list. It always frustrates me when people say Barksdale needs to be replaced.
I like Barksdale RT is relatively new to him, he's responded very well! I also get frustrated when people undervalue the word Chris Long does and want to replace him!!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Oh I definitely don't think he needs to be replaced.

But I'm sure a lot of people are questioning whether or not he will be worth what other teams offer him next year.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
5. Pettis, 4. Barksdale, 3. Hekker, 2. Tru, 1.Langford
The D has no chance without Brockers and Langford clogging up the middle.

I contend that taking away traps and pulls (30-60% of runs) that no one, no one, no one ran up the middle with straight man blocking....that gives
the Rams a lot of freedom to do a lot of crazy stuff.

TShram03

UDFA
I have a hard time agreeing with your list...not because I think the players listed are bad by any means...but because I think most any fan values Hayes just as you state him. I think the same can be said for Hekker. Barksdale I totally agree with. Trumaine Johnson I think isn't undervalued as much as he is over-criticized. And Tavon is just a young player that had overly high expectations early and played with the backup QB late, but most fans see it for what it is.

Fair enough. I get what you're saying. Like I said, I kind of took liberties to fit the five players I wanted to discuss. Under-appreciated AND/OR undervalued or underrated by not just Rams fans but national football fans/media alike

TShram03

UDFA
1. Joe Barksdale (Continually this offseason man fans were looking for his replacement despite his above average performance)
2. Kendall Langford (similar to Barksdale)
3. Rodney McCleod (Not a spectacular starter, but versatile and young. Has a chance to ascend or at least be a serviceable super-sub)
4. Isaiah Pead (One of the better special teams players on the team, frequently dismissed based solely on his draft position)
5. James Lauranaitis (Very consistent, very reliable...often criticized because of lack of the "big play")

I like this list as well. All five I gave legitimate thought to while crafting mine.

He'd be in my over-rated list, from what I've seen most want to defend him/find any positive just because he was drafted highly, I think if he was a 7th round pick he'd be long gone by this point.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Really? With Barret Jones on the roster and I know they like Scott Wells. I'm quite sure the plan was Martin to play RT and with Barksdale being a free agent in 2015 the Rams would have their bookends for many years to come. I really don't think the plan was Martin at center, but maybe you have more inside information as I'm just going with Thomas Paine and good old fashioned common sense.
From Nick Wagoner. http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9175/davin-joseph-took-long-road-to-rams

After selecting Greg Robinson with the No. 2 overall pick with the idea of playing him at left guard right away and failing to move back into the first round for offensive lineman Zack Martin, the Rams had a glaring need for experienced depth on the interior.

Martin was the most versatile offensive lineman available in the draft. He can play all 5 spots and the Cowboys are using him at guard.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Under appreciated; Jared Cook
After watching the whole season, I have to say Jared Cook made many, many key plays...ya is he 'weak' at the point and weak when battling in coverage...he is alex barron weak....like baseball player weak....but as the 3rd-4th option he is awesome.....he won't win a game (like he did at AZ), but he is quite a threat.

still I don't like him is a 'football' player.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I can't be bothered to list five players but I'm surprised there's only been one mention of Austin Pettis. The guy is solid, reliable and Sam trusts him. He may not be flashy but do we seriously expect every WR in the league to be like that? Fact is teams need receivers like Pettis that can be go to guy's in short yardage situations plus he's a big body redzone threat. He's the very definition of a situational, possession receiver. He has his place on this team and has proven himself. I'd happily see him stay on the roster for the foreseeable future.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I like Barksdale RT is relatively new to him, he's responded very well! I also get frustrated when people undervalue the word Chris Long does and want to replace him!!

PFF tweeted something a few months back that Chris Long retweeted. It was a table that included the number of QB pressures by DE's. Chris Long was way up there. He demonstrates how overvalued the sack stat can be (I stress the 'can'). Chris Long consistently prevents opposition QB's from being comfortable in the pocket which is huge