Top 25 QBs / All time / PFR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pro Football Reference has a list of the top 25 QBs all time and there are a couple with which I disagree.

In alphabetical order:
Ken Anderson
*Terry Bradshaw
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
*Len Dawson
John Elway
Brett Favre
Dan Fouts
*John Hadl
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Warren Moon
Carson Palmer
Phillip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford
*Fran Tarkenton
Vinny Testaverde
*Johnny Unitas
Russell Wilson
Steve Young

First off, I've always been against lists of TOP anything. But QBs are so different because the game has evolved so much. There was a time QBs used to call the plays*, not the HC or OC. And during that time running the ball was so much more important. But Carson Palmer, Vinny Testaverde and Ken Anderson over Roman Gabriel or Kurt Warner? I know that sounds like a "homer" but I could also include Sonny Jurgenson, John Brodie and Jim Kelly, from completely different eras. FWIW, I thought Ken Anderson had better intangibles than Palmer or Testaverde.

It seems PFR used some parameters. 17 of the 25 on their list are top 25 all time in passing yards, TDs and 4th quarter comebacks. 3 more are in the top 25 in TDs, Yards but just outside 4th quarter comebacks (Palmer #26, Fouts and Rodgers tied for #28). And if they're going to use those 3 catagories, where's Dave Krieg? #25 in yards, #20 in TD and #24 in CB. Not that I believe he should be on the list but under those parameters, he ranks right up there with them. He didn't play in a SB but neither did 6 of those 25. Fouts, Hadl, Moon. Palmer, Testaverde and Rivers. Of course I'd rank all of them except Testaverde and Palmer above Krieg at first look.

But I guess that's why I dislike "TOP" lists. Jim Kelly led his Bills to 4 Superbowls. Warner was one of the best passers of all time. Gabriel, Sonny Jurgenson, John Brodie, YA Tittle and many others called their own plays. That in itself is a burden from which modern QBs are relieved, except with audibles and certainly a few of them were very good at that (Marino, Brady, Peyton Manning, etc). Though I never saw him play Otto Graham went to 10 straight Championship Games prior to the SB era. 4 in the AAFC, then 6 in the NFL. He's #1 in career yds/att (9.0), another parameter that's important. 10 of the 25 on that list are in the top 25 all time.

So, who's not on that list of top 25, you believe should be there? Who on that list should not be?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ken Anderson
*Terry Bradshaw
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
*Len Dawson
John Elway
Brett Favre
Dan Fouts
*John Hadl
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Warren Moon
Carson Palmer
Phillip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford
*Fran Tarkenton
Vinny Testaverde
*Johnny Unitas
Russell Wilson
Steve Young
Matt Ryan?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, Warner and Jim Kelly over several there for sure.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I'd put Kurt Warner on the list and remove Russell Wilson. Kurt lead one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. Wilson rode one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.

Oh dang I didn't see Matt Ryan on there but yeah he doesn't belong on this list at all.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The NFL really disrespects Roman Gabriel. He was clearly more valuable to his teams than several who are in the HOF.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
As much as I dislike the Cowpokes, I would replace a few of those names with Staubach and Aikman (not a big fan) as well. Hell, Griese belongs there before the three highlighted names too.
Given a few more minutes, sure I could come up with more.

dang

Legend
I’d put Staubach, Starr, Kelly, Warner, Stabler ahead of 8 players on that list. I started paying attention to the NFL in 1972 so there may be other QBs from before that time that should also be included.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol on Kurt Warner not being on the list. At one point he had the 3 highest single game passing yardage record in the SB and was the first to break the 400 yard barrier. Still has 3 of the top 6.
All time great, Vinny Testeverde? Hysterical
Anderson, Moon, Palmer, Rivers, Ryan & Testaverde dont belong anywhere near a top 25 list.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hell I'd rank Mahomes over 8 or 9 of those guys.....and he's only been around 6 years