Top 10 Wrs In Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/02/nfl-draft-2014-mike-evans-top-10-wide-receivers/

Here’s a look at where those players rank among the current 10 best WRs expected to be available in the 2014 NFL draft:

1. Mike Evans, Texas A&M: I keep going back and forth between Evans and Clemson’s Sammy Watkins as the top WR in this class. (Watkins has yet to declare for the draft but is expected to after Friday’s Orange Bowl versus Ohio State.) If I had to march to the podium to make a pick right now, it would be Evans. Though he’s not a straight-line burner, very few cornerbacks will be able to match up with him comfortably. Add in his ability to beat any coverage thrown his way and his potential to dominate in the red zone, and Evans could help any offense.

2. Sammy Watkins, Clemson: A flat-out playmaker, Watkins is four inches shorter than Evans (6-foot-1 to Evans’ 6-5) but appears to be further along in his development as a route-runner. There’s no questioning what he can do on deep balls or after the catch, either — 224 catches over three seasons don’t just happen.

3. Marqise Lee, USC: It took until USC’s bowl game for the Trojans to unleash a healthy Lee, and then he went off for a season-high 118 yards with two touchdowns. That it took him all year to recover from a nagging knee injury will force NFL teams to take a close look medically. Assuming all checks out there, Lee should be a high pick and an early producer.

4. Allen Robinson, Penn State: I mentioned on Twitter that Robinson reminds me some of star Chargers receiver Keenan Allen. Aside from possessing similar size (Robinson is listed at 6-3, 204; Allen at 6-2, 211), Robinson will arrive in the NFL with an advanced game. He runs sharp routes and has proven dangerous in the screen game. Plus, he uses every bit of that 6-2 frame to win balls consistently in the air.

5. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt: Honestly, there’s not a lot to separate two guys like Robinson and Matthews at this point. Matthews had 94 catches last season and 107 in 2013, without the help of an elite QB or a rapid-fire passing attack. At 6-3, he’s tough to deal with — as is Robinson — because he does a remarkable job finding the football and winning position for the catch. Drops have been few and far between.

6. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State: His 2013 numbers are staggering — 128 receptions for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He’s smaller than the two guys listed just above him here, at 5-10 and 186 pounds, but he’s also more of a threat in the open field than either Robinson or Matthews. He can survive as an outside receiver. Put him in the slot with a couple other guys drawing attention, though, and he might be unstoppable.

7. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: In case you haven’t noticed by now, the WR talent in this draft projects to be really deep. Benjamin also has yet to pull the trigger by entering the draft, but he turns 23 in February, so it makes sense that the redshirt sophomore would want to go. Benjamin almost plays like a TE lined up wide (he’s 6-5 and 230), except he also has enough speed to get deep.

8. Davante Adams, Fresno State: The “system” tag does not apply just to quarterbacks — NFL scouts will have to determine how much of Adams’ 131 catches and 24 touchdowns this season were generated by skills that translate to the next level, and how many were a result of the Bulldogs’ Derek Carr-led aerial attack. Odds are, they’ll find plenty to like. The 6-2 Adams can catch and run, but he also excels in one-on-one matchups, as he did multiple times during Fresno State’s bowl game.

9. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin: Arguably one of the most underrated prospects in college football, at least prior to a 78-catch season that included a 207-yard explosion versus Ohio State (and potential first-round CB Bradley Roby). Abbrederis can line up wherever a team might need him and find a way to get open. He doesn’t jump off the tape like, say, Evans or Watkins … and yet, the ball keeps finding its way into his hands, despite Wisconsin’s shaky QB play.

10. Odell Beckham Jr., LSU: The Paul Hornung Award winner as college football’s most versatile player, Beckham could climb the charts at the draft because of his return abilities. But he’s also not a Devin Hester-type — i.e. a player who will be very limited in offensive sets. Beckham caught 59 passes with a 19.5 per-catch average in 2013. He’s more raw than some of the other receivers on this list, yet may be among the most lethal players in the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have some players rated differently. But I can agree that Evans and Watkins are #1 and #2.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And if the Rams can't land Evans or Watkins, I like Kelvin Benjamin's size and speed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And if the Rams can't land Evans or Watkins, I like Kelvin Benjamin's size and speed.

I was just going to ask you guys who are the options after the obvious top two that everyone is talking about. I don't watch college ball so I've no idea.

How big is the drop off from the top two guys this year to the next 2-3. I'm asking because there is a chance the Rams aren't drafting in the top 5-8 depending on who Snead trades with (I'm sure he dealing the #2).

Snead has a lot of options, which means he has a lot of work to do. This might be a difficult draft for him because of all the possibilities available, I'm sure he's clocking a lot of hours right now preparing and studying.

Alan

Legend
I don't see a WR being picked in the top 5 right now so even if we trade down a little we'll still probably have our choice of these. Although I hope the don't pick one in the first round. We pick 10th in the second round. Good spot to pick one up if we decide to go in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't see a WR being picked in the top 5 right now so even if we trade down a little we'll still probably have our choice of these. Although I hope the don't pick on in the first round. We pick 10th in the second round. Good spot to pcik one up if we decide to go in that direction.
Wait, we pick 10th in the 2nd round?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We pick 44th.

We don't move to the top. We move up one spot.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm not sure I one of the top guys on that list.

If I picked two on that list it would be Benjamin in round 2 or Abbrederis in 3 or 4

duckhunter

Starter
I like that UNLV kid. There's something special about him. What's his name? Oh yeah, Jerry Rice in the 7th.

Jr that is. If he could only play like his old man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As CGI said, better complement. Evans is a huge(6'5" 230) with incredibly strong hands. He's physical, attacks the ball in the air, uses his body extremely well and has deceptive deep speed. He's that Alshon Jeffery/Vincent Jackson talent we've been wanting. A guy that can get open deep, make the tough catches in traffic, lob the ball up to in the red-zone and throw 50-50 balls to when we need a big play.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As CGI said, better complement. Evans is a huge(6'5" 230) with incredibly strong hands. He's physical, attacks the ball in the air, uses his body extremely well and has deceptive deep speed. He's that Alshon Jeffery/Vincent Jackson talent we've been wanting. A guy that can get open deep, make the tough catches in traffic, lob the ball up to in the red-zone and throw 50-50 balls to when we need a big play.

Dan Shonka told me the same exact thing. He said he loves Watkins but Evans is a better fit for us. He was disappointed in Evans sideline actions in the bowl game though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dan Shonka told me the same exact thing. He said he loves Watkins but Evans is a better fit for us. He was disappointed in Evans sideline actions in the bowl game though.

I'm not sure who that is. I don't really know many of the draftnik names.(as weird as that is)

But I agree with him. Although I didn't notice anything from Evans on the sideline aside from the Manziel stuff but I wasn't really looking.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 wondered:
I'm not sure who that is. I don't really know many of the draftnik names.(as weird as that is)

But I agree with him. Although I didn't notice anything from Evans on the sideline aside from the Manziel stuff but I wasn't really looking.
http://www.ourlads.com/shonka/
That link will introduce you to him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I don't see a WR being picked in the top 5 right now so even if we trade down a little we'll still probably have our choice of these. Although I hope the don't pick one in the first round. We pick 10th in the second round. Good spot to pick one up if we decide to go in that direction.

I like that thought process...Get me some more big uglies. Including Louis Nix NT Fighting Irish