Top 10 Worst Coaches by Winning Percentage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Top 10 Worst Coaches Ever. Guess who's #2?

The fact is that you can say that coach X could have done a better job. But look at it. Ryan clearly stepped into a situation where he DID have the pieces. Shanahan clearly had a better situation and an owner who doesn't think twice about spending huge jack. Norv has a pretty loaded team and inherited an even better one. Andy Reed and the Eagles? Fuhgettaboutit. The Chiefs are in a free fall. The Vikes are tied with us in futility - what's their excuse? The Bucs were supposed to be on the rise. They are 4-7.

That we are not the Packers or the Steelers or the patsies after 3 years does not mean another coach or GM would have done better.

I am not advocating for some long term contract for Spags and BD but I also would like to see them get at least one more year so we can see if this team is going somewhere. I would agree that in many situations, 3 years would be enough. In this case? Not so sure. I also would point out that in almost all the teams you listed in your original post, there was a lot of dissension in the ranks. I don't see that here.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Horns of Gold said:
A few of you make some good points. I really don't like the argument that no coach in history could've gotten to the playoffs with this team, as that's purely subjective.

I will say this however....I'm guessing the Rams will win one more game even though they won't be favored in any of them. Even if they lose out, if Devaney is fired, I will be so happy that I'll welcome Spagnuolo back with open arms.

I'm not saying that no coach in history could have done it, but no coach that we had a chance to hire could have done it. It's not like we could have gotten Sean Peyton or something to come in 2009.

I don't think either of them get fired next year, honestly. I think they both get another year, but if they do not produce they both will go in 2012.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecoconuts said:
Horns of Gold said:
A few of you make some good points. I really don't like the argument that no coach in history could've gotten to the playoffs with this team, as that's purely subjective.

I will say this however....I'm guessing the Rams will win one more game even though they won't be favored in any of them. Even if they lose out, if Devaney is fired, I will be so happy that I'll welcome Spagnuolo back with open arms.

I'm not saying that no coach in history could have done it, but no coach that we had a chance to hire could have done it. It's not like we could have gotten Sean Peyton or something to come in 2009.

I don't think either of them get fired next year, honestly. I think they both get another year, but if they do not produce they both will go in 2012.
For me, and this is just me, I'd give them another year too. These are two of the best schemes out there to date. Spagnuolo's defense and McDaniels' offense. Shit, if that would just WORK, then who could stop this team? Maybe Spags isn't HC material. I don't know that he isn't. I don't know that he is. It's just my opinion that he's not a saboteur, and that's good enough for me. I like his vision, I like his demeanor, I like his coaching style, and I like him. Now if they go into the middle of next year and don't do anything, and there are no significant injuries, then it wouldn't bother me if he got fired in week 9. I just REALLY REALLY want to see what he can do with a normal roster, and a normal offseason. Hopefully next year will provide him with just that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
bluecoconuts said:
Horns of Gold said:

For me, and this is just me, I'd give them another year too. These are two of the best schemes out there to date. Spagnuolo's defense and McDaniels' offense. Shit, if that would just WORK, then who could stop this team? Maybe Spags isn't HC material. I don't know that he isn't. I don't know that he is. It's just my opinion that he's not a saboteur, and that's good enough for me. I like his vision, I like his demeanor, I like his coaching style, and I like him. Now if they go into the middle of next year and don't do anything, and there are no significant injuries, then it wouldn't bother me if he got fired in week 9. I just REALLY REALLY want to see what he can do with a normal roster, and a normal offseason. Hopefully next year will provide him with just that.

Yeah... pretty much where I am on this.

I'm not blind to how pathetic this team has played for most of the season. But there is still something I really like about Spags, his style, and even the way his team plays when they lose. There is no fucking way I could say that about Linny.

superfan24

Starter

I know it sounds stupid given the play on the field and our record, but this team is so close with the holes to fill and if our roster is healthy. I just badly want one more year with BD and Spags to straighten this out and have a healthy team. Agreed anything less than 8-8 next year then blow it up.
GO RAMS

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

superfan24 said:
I know it sounds stupid given the play on the field and our record, but this team is so close with the holes to fill and if our roster is healthy. I just badly want one more year with BD and Spags to straighten this out and have a healthy team. Agreed anything less than 8-8 next year then blow it up.
GO RAMS

Yeah - not sure what it is either. I watch them and think we are closer than even several teams with 6 or 7 wins. Probably myopic but I couldn't say that about the 8-8 Linny team. I didn't buy Martz as a HC either. I'm still not sure if I buy Spags as a head coach but his team seems to play beyond the talent they've managed to keep out of the hospital.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I'm all for giving these coaches one more shot but they have to pick up players like Darren Sproles when they are available and THEY MUST MANAGE A 1ST AND GOAL AT THE 3 YARD LINE WITH TWO TIME OUTS AND 43 SECONDS LEFT A LITTLE DAMN BETTER! There, I feel better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Horns of Gold said:
I think I have to stop coming into this forum. You people are about to get me wanting Spags back next season : )

Resistance is futile.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Horns of Gold said:
I think I have to stop coming into this forum. You people are about to get me wanting Spags back next season : )

Resistance is futile.

Acquiesce you will.

K - I'm a nerd.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Ask yourself this who will replace spags ? Jack del rio ? Josh Mcd ? there's no coach out there that I think is a better fit for the rams gruden,cowher or any coach with a proven track record won't come here

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
BuiltRamTough said:
Ask yourself this who will replace spags ? Jack del rio ? Josh Mcd ? there's no coach out there that I think is a better fit for the rams gruden,cowher or any coach with a proven track record won't come here

My money is on Lou Holtz......he can teach the team a fight song. It will go great with the new "Ram Rules"....

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
BuiltRamTough said:

My money is on Lou Holtz......he can teach the team a fight song. It will go great with the new "Ram Rules"....

MIKE MARTZ

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
squeaky wheel said:
Faceplant said:
BuiltRamTough said:

MIKE MARTZ

Shoot, he'll fix this mess.....

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
squeaky wheel said:
Faceplant said:
BuiltRamTough said:

MIKE MARTZ

Shoot, he'll fix this mess.....

Exactly, it's what he does.