Top 10 Worst Coaches by Winning Percentage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Top 10 Worst Coaches Ever. Guess who's #2?

Typical fanbole. Here's the ACTUAL content of the CNN (Sports Illustrated) article. Which doesn't, in any way, mention Steve Spagnuolo. But hey, if trolling is the way to get your point across, have at it.

[textarea]*And remember: I'm talking about WORST HIRES, not necessarily WORST COACHES. Sometimes what seems like a good hire can turn disastrous. And sometimes what seems like a bad hire turns out well. We're talking specifically about the decision to hire Mangini here.

• Art Shell (Oakland): Admittedly this was a dreadful hire ... but there's no way it comes close to Mangini. Shell is a Raiders legend, a Hall of Famer player, who was also the first African American coach in the NFL (well, second, going back to Fritz Pollard in the 1920s). He actually coached the Raiders to three playoff appearances in five years in his first stint. True, when the Raiders hired him the second time he clearly had lost his coaching marbles ... but there's no way that's as bad a hire as Mangini.

• Jim Zorn (Washington): Well ... maybe. The whole process of hiring Zorn was nutty, and it's pretty clear he was overmatched. But Jim Zorn was a fine and fun quarterback, so at least he had that going for him. Plus he had not just been fired as a head coach.

• Bobby Petrino (Atlanta): This turned out to be a disastrous hire ... but I don't think it was considered bad at the time. Petrino was one of the hottest names in college football.

• Raheem Morris (Tampa Bay): Whew, yeah, that's a bad hire. But, again, at least he was hired from within and he had not just been canned.

• Steve Spurrier (Washington): No way. Not even close. Spurrier turned out to be a horrible NFL coach, but the hire itself was exciting and had every chance to work. NFL teams were falling over each other to hire Spurrier as a head coach. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the Mangini hire.

• Tom Cable (Oakland): The Raiders should have their own category when it comes to terrible NFL coach hires. But even this hire to me is not as insulting and infuriating as the Mangini hire. I mean, everyone in New York -- players, fans, media members, everyone -- DESPISED Mangini. I mean, I'm still wondering who in New York Mangini could have put down as a reference.

• Rich Kotite (New York Jets): Well, this hire has many of the same problems as the Mangini hire -- Kotite had just been canned, nobody liked him, and so on. But at least Kotite was a New Yorker who had played in the NFL and he had a winning record as a coach. This WAS bad ... I think Mangini was worse.

• Scott Linehan (St. Louis): Bad hire, of course, but he was a longtime assistant coach who had success in various other places. He'd coached in high school, in college, he was offensive coordinator for the Vikings and Dolphins. I don't think the hire itself compares to Mangini, though I certainly feel the Rams fans pain of having to endure two and a half seasons with him as coach.

• Marty Mornhinweg (Detroit): He was considered a bright young coordinator when the Lions hired him -- and he's offensive coordinator for the Eagles now. Plus, he lasted two years with the Lions (long enough to elect to kick off in overtime). I really don't think Mangini will last the season.[/textarea]

YOU added Spagnuolo and cited his win/loss percentage. Get over it already, man. We're all aware of what the record is. Only a select few are aware of WHY it is the way it is. But if inserting your own agenda into a Sports Illustrated article helps you get your point across, you should probably interview for a job there.

Make it official.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

So where would Belichick fall on your list after 2 season?? With a winning percentage of .406%, he would be 9th on your list. This list is retarded for a lot of reason......

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

YES!!!! COACHES W/ PREVIOUS HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!

Like Mike Shanahan w/ the Redskins! 7-19 record!

Mike Ditka w/ the Saints!!!! 15-33!!!

Bill Parcells!!! 34-32 and ZERO playoff victories for the Cowboys!!!

Steve Mariucci!!!! 15-28 w/ the Lions!

Funny how Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith, both Harbaughs, Kubiak, Lovie Smith, Mike McCarthy, Raheem Morris, Asshole Face, Ken Whisenhunt, among others also had ZERO previous head coaching experience!!

Ahhh hell. Saw X's post. What a bunch of shit. Can't believe I even responded.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faceplant said:
So where would Belichick fall on your list after 2 season?? With a winning percentage of .406%, he would be 9th on your list. This list is retarded for a lot of reason......
Yes, it is (retarded for a lot of reasons). But it's also embellished and agenda-driven.

Fans want coaches fired all the time, so Joe OP isn't revealing any big revelation. He's only NOT accounting for a myriad of things and is being driven by his agenda. Currently, Andy Reid is being run out of town too (by fans like him). He forgot how to coach, so it's only natural that he take his amnesia, and his big ass, out of Philadelphia.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Horns of Gold, please post about something else. This is a small forum, we all know your feelings about Spagnuolo. Write to Rams headquarters if you think that it will make a difference. Making crap up is a new low. Contribute something useful to the forum, please.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Horns of Gold said:
Don't shoot the messenger of facts, fellas.

I took a list, researched their winning percentages, omitted Shell (a good coach IMO) and Petrino (part of one season), compared their success with Spagnuolo's and made a Top 10 list out of it. It is what it is and Spagnuolo lands where he lands.

Could he end up a Bill Belichick? Der, I guess the naive can always hope for a once in a generation turnaround like that. Maybe the Rams should bank their entire franchise on that and resign Spagnuolo for 10 years guaranteed.

Seems that'd make more than a couple of people around here thrilled.
We all know what the record is.

Now you are calling people here naive. Not going to get you very far. Check out the PD, there are hundreds of guys like you there. I think you'll like it.

Anonymous

Horns of Gold said:
MAKING CRAP UP??? LMAO!

I took a list, researched their winning percentages, omitted Shell (a good coach IMO) and Petrino (part of one season), compared their success with Spagnuolo's and made a Top 10 list out of it. It is what it is and Spagnuolo lands where he lands.

The issue is your passing it off as the CNNSI list. You should have left the list alone and added your comment as to where Spags falls on the list. Or add Spags to the list in another color with an explanation. At this point arguing about Spags is academic as I believe he's gone at season end.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ

I think the point is everyone is trying to make to you Horn is (correct me if I wrong X)..you are preachin to the choir. We all know whats going, but complaining is not going to get the coach fired nor will stats to a forum of fans.

We don't know whats going to happen. At this point, I am going to root for the Rams and hope they can be competitive down the stretch. And again, I think we all want change, but providing stats and saying Spags should be fired does nothing. You may want to listen to Bernie's show today. He has a lot of good points of the situation. I agree with most of them, but I am not going to defer to everyone with stats. I am hear to discuss.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

The real tragedy of all this, especially after looking over "Coaches" list, is the realization that it will take AT LEAST 2 more years of drafting, trades and signing of free agents to get this team competitive enough to make the play-off's and more importantly, compete for the conference title. Obviously, this assumes the continued performance of the niners and potential improvement by both the Hags and AZ.

This years so lost, it's not even worth the discussion of "what happened". Is there anyone on this thread who doesn't understand exactly what happened and why? I would add that personally, I was never in favor of returning so many walking wounded, but that's no longer an issue, is it?

The front office and coaches took a gamble (win now) by sacrificing youth and personnel development and now we're all paying for it. I understand it (to a degree) from a revenue and short term business perspective. However, once this thing began to fall apart, the gamble turned into a disaster of epic proportions and now the piper must be paid.

Believe me, my heart goes out to Spags, Steven, Sam and many others who bust their butts every day. But just as others have discussed, the NFL is about winning and we ain't, so I expect that there are major changes a foot come the end of the season. I don't know what they'll be, I hope for the teams sake that whatever decisions and changes are made, that going forward the offensive and defensive schemes won't be unnecessarily altered to the degree that sets us back even further than two more years.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

That's a shocking list.

I don't feel that way.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

ramsince62 said:
The real tragedy of all this, especially after looking over "Coaches" list, is the realization that it will take AT LEAST 2 more years of drafting, trades and signing of free agents to get this team competitive enough to make the play-off's and more importantly, compete for the conference title. Obviously, this assumes the continued performance of the niners and potential improvement by both the Hags and AZ.

This years so lost, it's not even worth the discussion of "what happened". Is there anyone on this thread who doesn't understand exactly what happened and why? I would add that personally, I was never in favor of returning so many walking wounded, but that's no longer an issue, is it?

The front office and coaches took a gamble (win now) by sacrificing youth and personnel development and now we're all paying for it. I understand it (to a degree) from a revenue and short term business perspective. However, once this thing began to fall apart, the gamble turned into a disaster of epic proportions and now the piper must be paid.

Believe me, my heart goes out to Spags, Steven, Sam and many others who bust their butts every day. But just as others have discussed, the NFL is about winning and we ain't, so I expect that there are major changes a foot come the end of the season. I don't know what they'll be, I hope for the teams sake that whatever decisions and changes are made, that going forward the offensive and defensive schemes won't be unnecessarily altered to the degree that sets us back even further than two more years.

Well said.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

ramsince62 said:

Not tryin 2 start an argument, but if Spags "should be" fired but yet it will take @ least 2 more years of roster development, why should the new coach (if there is one) get the benefit of the doubt?

This team does have talent. As does every NFL team. The problem w/ here is they are all on IR. Whether or not they come back strong is the question. If they do, great. If not, then I think we're in deep shit.

Lesson

Oh, really?

:nono:

Spags inherited a mess in 2009, that wasn't his fault(Linehan and the previous regime).

I am willing to give Spags another shot, but if the Rams aren't at least at .500 next season, I think it might be time for some change

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

ramsince62 said:

\
BTW, when I say "coaches list", I'm speaking of "OUR COACHES" list.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Lesson said:
:nono:

Spags inherited a mess in 2009, that wasn't his fault(Linehan and the previous regime).

I am willing to give Spags another shot, but if the Rams aren't at least at .500 next season, I think it might be time for some change
I appreciate your willingness to give Spags another year, to be honest, I might be so inclined, I just don't think it's in the cards.

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven

How can Spags be blamed for this season? I'd LOVE to see how Tomlin, Belichick, Harbaugh's, etc would manage the season with as many players on IR as the Rams have. I say one more year to see if he can get the Rams back up to 7 wins. Although, if Justin King isn't cut as soon as the last game concludes then I'd be a bit disappointed.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Steven39 said:
How can Spags be blamed for this season? I'd LOVE to see how Tomlin, Belichick, Harbaugh's, etc would manage the season with as many players on IR as the Rams have. I say one more year to see if he can get the Rams back up to 7 wins. Although, if Justin King isn't cut as soon as the last game concludes then I'd be a bit disappointed.

I doubt Justin King is back next year unless he turns it out. He's only here because we have nobody else, I think the Rams are looking at OL, DT and OLB in the draft first and foremost, and WR/DB in FA (and I wouldn't be shocked to see one or the other in the draft either)... That, and a better understanding of the offense and a healthy roster. There's only so much coaches can do, I don't think any of the coaches you mentioned would do much more with the roster we have, maybe another win, but we wouldn't be a contending team either way.

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven

bluecoconuts said:
Steven39 said:

I doubt Justin King is back next year unless he turns it out. He's only here because we have nobody else, I think the Rams are looking at OL, DT and OLB in the draft first and foremost, and WR/DB in FA (and I wouldn't be shocked to see one or the other in the draft either)... That, and a better understanding of the offense and a healthy roster. There's only so much coaches can do, I don't think any of the coaches you mentioned would do much more with the roster we have, maybe another win, but we wouldn't be a contending team either way.

My thoughts exactly. Hell if the Rams win another 2 or 3 games, I'd be making a case for Spags to get Coach of the Year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Horns of Gold said:
MAKING CRAP UP??? LMAO!

Could he end up a Bill Belichick? Der, I guess the naive can always hope for a once in a generation turnaround like that. Maybe the Rams should bank their entire franchise on that and resign Spagnuolo for 10 years guaranteed.

Seems that'd make more than a couple of people around here thrilled.

I find it funny and ironic that you'd omit Petrino for being with his team for "part of one season". He fucking abandoned the Falcons! He fucking quit on his own fucking team in the middle of the fucking season! Say what you want about Spags. Talk about his winning percentage (which many people have logically debated about). Make up a bunch of shit about Sports Illustrated putting him as the second-worst coach of all time. Go right a-fucking-head; it's what I expect. But I don't recall Spags ever quitting on his own fucking team, especially in the middle of the fucking season.

People like you are the reason why I left RamStalk for good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Memento said:
I find it funny and ironic that you'd omit Petrino for being with his team for "part of one season". He fucking abandoned the Falcons! He fucking quit on his own fucking team in the middle of the fucking season! Say what you want about Spags. Talk about his winning percentage (which many people have logically debated about). Make up a bunch of shit about Sports Illustrated putting him as the second-worst coach of all time. Go right a-fucking-head; it's what I expect. But I don't recall Spags ever quitting on his own fucking team, especially in the middle of the fucking season.

People like you are the reason why I left RamStalk for good.

Hey - quit candy coating it. :sly: