Top 10 tight ends: 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Jared Cook might find this offensive.

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9410962/nfl-breaking-top-10-tight-ends-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... -ends-2016</a>

We are blessed right now to be in a very productive era for tight ends. Their athleticism and ability to create nightmare matchups for opposing defenses provides an offensive dimension that hasn't really existed before on a large scale. The premier guys in today's NFL are pass-catchers first and blockers second, and all of the spread offenses in college are preparing a lot of good tight ends for the NFL.

As we look ahead to 2016 we will see an outstanding group of veterans either out of the league or at the end of their careers. But we will have a terrific group of sixth- and seventh-year players leading the way.

Here are the top 10 projected tight ends in 2016:

1. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints
This ranking is a little risky because not only does he need to stay healthy, but he will likely be without Drew Brees as his QB in 2016. If Asshole Face is still the head coach, Graham will be highly targeted in this TE-friendly scheme that attacks the seams, and you can bet that Payton will find a QB -- Brees or someone else -- who will get Graham the ball. What is scary to defenses is the fact that he is just starting to realize his full potential.

2. Kyle Rudolph, Minnesota Vikings
He is a gifted receiver with soft hands and he is Christian Ponder's favorite target. That should continue for years to come … if his QB plays to the level expected. Rudolph is a "move" tight end who excels in space, and he is a tough defensive matchup. As much as his QB looks to him for a key play, this passing game doesn't stretch the field enough. Without Percy Harvin, can the guys outside threaten defenses enough to open things up for Rudolph? If that happens, the sky is the limit for him.

3. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
This is another somewhat risky ranking because of health issues and the eventual retirement of QB Tom Brady, who loves to get the ball to Gronk. He has underrated deep speed, is a great red zone target and a nightmare matchup who is tough to bring down after the catch. The key will be to continue to run this offensive scheme, keep the Pats' TEs healthy and be stable at the QB position -- all things that Bill Belichick will address.

4. Dennis Pitta, Baltimore Ravens
He has a great relationship with his QB, Joe Flacco, who will be in Baltimore a long time with his new contract complete. The Ravens could actually have the best duo of the future when you add Ed Dickson to the mix as the superior in-line blocker in two-TE sets. That allows Pitta to flex, line up wide and look for good matchups. He is really sure-handed, and he will make the tough catches in traffic. Without Anquan Boldin, he will be Flacco's "jump ball" receiver when the Ravens need a key reception.

Editor's note: This article was published before the Patriots' release of Hernandez.

5. Aaron Hernandez
He enters prison as a Tight End. If he gets out, he'll be a wide receiver.

6. Dwayne Allen, Indianapolis Colts
He actually outplayed Andrew Luck's college TE, Coby Fleener, as a rookie. With a lot of multi-TE sets and a young, high-ceiling offense that will grow together, Allen's potential is high. Interestingly, he is also a proficient blocker, which is not Fleener's strength. That might leave him in the line more than you might expect in those two TE sets. Of all the young guys he might have the most complete skill set.

7. Coby Fleener, Colts
His rookie season was not as productive as expected, but improvement will come quickly. He knows this offense, and his QB has a lot of faith in him. He can line up wide or flex, he has a good recognition of defenses and coverages, he has sneaky deep production and he rarely drops the ball. He will be the "move" guy in this offense and his ability to create good matchups will be critical to his success.

8. Rob Housler, Arizona Cardinals
He is the "sleeper" of this list. While he really seems ready to break out and become an elite player, the production isn't there yet. He has excellent size and good receiving skills, but his consistency is up and down with too many dropped passes. The good news for Housler is that he has a new coaching staff that loves to incorporate the TE into the offense. He will be given every chance to succeed, but who will be his QB in 2016?

9. Tyler Eifert, Cincinnati Bengals
He has a big frame with solid athleticism, and he is versatile enough to play every receiver spot, which means flex and wide, and that means good matchups. With Jermaine Gresham around to give them good two-TE packages and with elite outside receiver A.J. Green, Eifert will get a lot of favorable single coverage. He uses his body well to shield the defender, and he is excellent at catching the ball in traffic. He is extremely competitive as well.

10. Gavin Escobar, Dallas Cowboys
Not only does he give the Cowboys a legitimate chance to run more two-TE sets with Jason Witten, but he is also the heir apparent to take over for the great veteran as Witten closes out his career. He has a huge 6-foot-6 frame with good athleticism, and his ability to flex or line up wide makes him a tough matchup for opposing defenses. He is not a complete player yet, but there is a lot here to develop, and he could be an underrated deep threat.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It might be because he's not really a TE? I dunno.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Right off the bat I would have eliminated guys like this:

7. Coby Fleener, Colts
His rookie season was not as productive as expected, but improvement will come quickly. He knows this offense, and his QB has a lot of faith in him. He can line up wide or flex, he has a good recognition of defenses and coverages, he has sneaky deep production and he rarely drops the ball. He will be the "move" guy in this offense and his ability to create good matchups will be critical to his success.

I have zero respect for idiots who rate someone top anything until they've shown it on the field. :roll:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A55VA6 said:
These lists are hilariously terrible.

And... you have to pay for ESPN's premium content (Insider) to get these quality lists! :lmao:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
5. Aaron Hernandez
He enters prison as a Tight End. If he gets out, he'll be a wide receiver

I know it's a joke ,but in prison there are pitchers and catchers,I think Aaron Hernandez will never be the later ,big fish/little fish yada yada

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
X said:

If that was so then Jimmy Graham definitely wouldn't be on this list.

Meh. Thats what I think about the list.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
biggame1190 said:
X said:

If that was so then Jimmy Graham definitely wouldn't be on this list.

Meh. Thats what I think about the list.
Well that's true. I guess I'll have to second your assessment of that list.

"Meh."