Top 10 pass rushers: 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Massive Rams snub on this list! Wow! Chris Long doesn't even get an honorable mention.

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9376775/nfl-von-miller-jadeveon-clowney-top-10-pass-rushers-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... shers-2016</a>

play_a_von-miller_mb_576.jpg

In a league where quarterbacks are setting passing records seemingly every season, an increased premium has been placed on pass-rushers. The New York Giants have twice in the past six seasons won a Super Bowl with a defense catalyzed by a pressure-oriented front that was able to slow down the high-octane New England Patriots offense.

Rushers no longer do their work exclusively on the edge and from a three-point stance; there are dominant interior presences and stand-up rush linebackers who dramatically change each game that they step on the field.

Normally we reserve judgment on players until they've at least taken a single snap in the NFL, but as it relates to pass-rushers, there's a player so good that he hasn't even finished his college career but is going to crack our list of the top 10 pass-rushers for 2016. Some call him the Andrew Luck of defensive prospects, and he's a sure-fire top-two pick in next year's draft.

Here are the top 10 projected pass-rushers for 2016:

1. Von Miller, LB, Denver Broncos
It took Miller all of one play to force his first fumble as an NFL player, and he hasn't stopped wreaking havoc since. He's been purely dominant in each of his first two seasons and will be just 27 by the time 2016 rolls around. He has all the tools to remain an elite rusher, with rare athleticism and explosiveness for a player of his size. He's benefited from playing opposite a quality rusher in Elvis Dumervil to start his NFL career, but don't look for Miller's production to dip too much now that Dumervil's in Baltimore.

2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina Gamecocks
The buzz surrounding Clowney has been there since he was a high school prep star in South Carolina, and he's dominated the college game in two seasons as a Gamecock. It would be a major surprise if he didn't declare for the draft in 2014 (barring an injury), and he won't last long once the draft commences. He's a rare defensive talent that could start on any defense right now, and he'll be just 23 when the 2016 season kicks off. Yes, there's an element of projection in tabbing a college player as a dominant NFL star, but Clowney's skill set is that rare.

3. J.J. Watt, DE, Houston Texans
Watt was the most disruptive (and best) defensive player in football at 2012, and in a league where offensive linemen are built like titans, Watt's physical gifts reign supreme. He's nearly 300 pounds with a lightning-quick first step, an array of interior pass-rushing skills and a perfect fit for what the Texans are doing under defensive coordinator Wade Philips. He has sensational instincts to get his hands in passing lanes, which allows him to bat down a ton of passes at the line of scrimmage. Given how far he's come in just two seasons, it's scary to think how good he'll be in 2016.

4. Aldon Smith, LB, San Francisco 49ers
There were some (this writer included) who wondered how long it would take Smith to make the transition from college to the pro level, but the Missouri product showed that he was as ready-made as any other defensive player in the 2011 draft. All he's done in two seasons is record 33.5 sacks. There's room for Smith to grow as a technician and as a rusher, but his unique mix of size and power has overwhelmed opposing tackles thus far. He'll turn 27 shortly after the 2016 season kicks off.

5. Clay Matthews, LB, Green Bay Packers
The Packers wisely paid big money to secure Matthews for the long haul this offseason, and he'll reward them with consistent dominance on the edge of their defense. Matthews has made the Pro Bowl in each of his four NFL seasons, recording 42.0 sacks, seven forced fumbles and three interceptions along the way. He's a superior athlete who had little tread on his tires entering the league, so some of the concerns relating to the fact that he'll be 30 in 2016 are alleviated.

6. Geno Atkins, DT, Cincinnati Bengals
The first exclusively interior presence to crack our list (Watt is moved all over the defensive front), Atkins has burst onto the scene in recent seasons and is a pivotal cog in Cincinnati's defensive front. He has super interior quickness, can win with his hands and possesses the requisite strength to walk over the anchor of an opposing lineman. If not for the otherworldly season of Watt in 2012, Atkins' 12.5-sack season likely would have garnered much more attention.

7. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, New York Giants
JPP has as much upside as any player on this list and has been a quick learner; he didn't start playing football until his junior year of high school and played just one season of major college football. He has sensational length, explosiveness and power off of the edge. He had a quiet 2012 season (by his own standards), which was likely impacted by a back injury that he recently had surgery on. It's possible he'll return for the opening of the 2013 season, but the injury is certainly something to monitor for the 24-year-old.

8. Justin Houston, OLB, Kansas City Chiefs
As far as physical freaks go, few are as impressive as Houston. He's 6-foot-3, 260 pounds and runs a 4.6 40-yard dash. His sophomore season was good enough to earn him a Pro Bowl invitation, as he notched 10.0 sacks. We suspect double-digit sack seasons and Pro Bowl trips will become a regular occurrence for Houston, who turned 24 in January. He and Tamba Hali will remain a dependable rush duo through 2016.

9. Chandler Jones, DE, New England Patriots
When Jones was drafted, many billed him as a project-type player who would need a couple of years to develop. As it turns out, Jones needed less time than that to be an impact player, strip-sacking Jake Locker in his first game (leading to a fumble recovery for a touchdown for the Patriots). With unique length and a massive frame to fill out, the sky is the limit for Jones, who is just 23.

10. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins
Orakpo has a Defensive Player of the Year award in his sights for 2013, and the Redskins have a keeper on their hands for years to come. He's a physical, tough, powerful rusher on the edge who has excellent ball disruption skills. He'll need to prove he can put a torn pectoral injury behind him, but indications this offseason are that he's already looking like the player he was prior to the injury. He'll be a seasoned veteran by 2016.

Just missed: DeMarcus Ware (Dallas Cowboys), Ndamukong Suh (Detroit Lions), Robert Quinn (St. Louis Rams), Greg Hardy (Carolina Panthers), Barkevious Mingo (Cleveland Browns), Michael Johnson (Bengals), Dion Jordan (Miami Dolphins), Cameron Wake (Dolphins)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here are the top 10 projected pass-rushers for 2016:

:bahaha:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So... slow news day doesn't even begin to describe the need for this "article". What? Aaron Hernandez hadn't taken a dump yet that day?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamShack said:
This is such BS they have Clowney on there he is a COLLEGE PLAYER!
No shit not only on the list but ahead of players like lonh watt and mathews. This guy shoulf join paula dean and get fired

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
:shock: :shock: :shock: How in the fuck did Chris Long not make this list let alone, just missed. The dude has lead the league in qb hurries every year, how in the hell is that not the definition of pass rush!?!? :rules:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Barrison6 putting too much weight on hurries:
:shock: :shock: :shock: How in the freak did Chris Long not make this list let alone, just missed. The dude has lead the league in qb hurries every year, how in the hell is that not the definition of pass rush!?!? :rules:

As I've said before in other threads, Chris needs to convert more of those hurries to sacks if he wants the recognition. What good does it do to hurry the QB if he throws a TD on the play? Hurries are severely overrated IMO. Sacks are where it's at baby! :yeh:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: How in the freak did Chris Long not make this list let alone, just missed. The dude has lead the league in qb hurries every year, how in the hell is that not the definition of pass rush!?!? :rules:

As I've said before in other threads, Chris needs to convert more of those hurries to sacks if he wants the recognition. What good does it do to hurry the QB if he throws a TD on the play? Hurries are severely overrated IMO. Sacks are where it's at baby! :yeh:
I can see your viewpoint there, but I can't get behind it 100%. I think hurries are a VASTLY underrated and underappreciated stat. Hurries lead to bad things for an offense, and sometimes very good things for a defense. For example, say Chris Long "hurries" an opposing QB into making a throw before the route's had a chance to develop. That could lead to a pick 6 (and has) for our defense. It could also lead to a win as it did in Denver in 2010. The last play of that game was a Long hurry that forced an errant pass on 4th down.

Yes, sacks are immensely better; but hurries shouldn't be the bastard child of defensive stats either.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X disagreeing with my contention that hurries are greatly overrated:
Yes, sacks are immensely better; but hurries shouldn't be the bastard child of defensive stats either.
I agree with all your points and as you surmised, I was speaking comparatively.

Hurries can be effective but sacks are effective. And it's not just me. As I said in my post, if he wants the recognition that would enable him ro make one of these media lists he needs to do the things that the media hones in on. In this case it's sacks.

Hurries are very important. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X disagreeing with my contention that hurries are greatly overrated:
I agree with all your points and as you surmised, I was speaking comparatively.

Hurries can be effective but sacks are effective. And it's not just me. As I said in my post, if he wants the recognition that would enable him ro make one of these media lists he needs to do the things that the media hones in on. In this case it's sacks.

Hurries are very important. :lol:
So ... even after all of my compelling, Lt. Daniel Kaffee-like presentation of evidence, you STILL don't think hurries are effective?

There's only one conclusion I can draw from that.

48Z7JfC.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how these guys rank when you factor hurries + sacks?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
albefree69 said:

Exactly what X was saying, hurries can be better if you have good, aggressive corners that will turn that quick throw into a pick-6. I understand sacks are great and what not, but the term pass rush would imply making the passer rush him into making his throw, and IMO Chris Long is just as good as any of these guys, just wait till our defense makes the jump to top 5! :hehe:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The idea of speculating who the best pass rushers are in 2016 is laughable. I suppose the top 10 pass rushers for 2013 just doesn't have the same relevance.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
So someone is trying to pick the top 10 pass rushers from three years from now? That's ridiculous. Why even bother. Trying to predict anything like this will be a big fail. They also picked a guy (Clowney) who will be in his second year in the league. Everyone expects him to have a huge year this year in college, but what if he regresses? What if he's not that good. Suddenly he's out of the top 15 and no one predicts him to be one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

You know who they left off the list (because he was never asked to do it really) is Ogletree. I think that guy has the instincts, speed, quickness, and athleticism to be a great pass rusher from the OLB spot. The Rams may want him to cover more, but the guy could be a huge playmaker.

fearsomefour

Legend
"The dude has lead the league in qb hurries every year, how in the hell is that not the definition of pass rush!?!?"

This is why I hate ESPN. Its the "Espn-ing" of sports. They would rather show a "star" like Blake Griffen throw down 5 dunks....and oh, by the way, his team lost. I remember watching Sportcenter several years ago and they were showing a Yankees vs. someone highlight. They showed a Jetter homerun, an A-Rod homeron and Cano HR. Then the final score....Twins (or whoever) 8 Yankees 3. I have tried to avoid ESPN since then. They give an excellent example of what is wrong with American society now....all flash, no substance. Maybe he guy includes a college player to try and look knowledgeable. Who cares? The list is moronic. Sometimes the pass rush is an individual effort a lot of times it is not. They run plays and stunts upfront. No one benefits from this more than Aldon Smith. For everyone one his sacks Justin Smith should get a half sack credit....or a holding penalty. The line has to play as a unit. Long, Brockers and Quinn should have a very good year. I for one think Brockers is going to bust onto the scene in a big way. If Long and Quinns sack number spike up this year Im thinking Mr. Brockers will be a major reason why....something that would be lost on whoever put this list together.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
brokeu91 said:
So someone is trying to pick the top 10 pass rushers from three years from now? That's ridiculous. Why even bother. Trying to predict anything like this will be a big fail. They also picked a guy (Clowney) who will be in his second year in the league. Everyone expects him to have a huge year this year in college, but what if he regresses? What if he's not that good. Suddenly he's out of the top 15 and no one predicts him to be one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

You know who they left off the list (because he was never asked to do it really) is Ogletree. I think that guy has the instincts, speed, quickness, and athleticism to be a great pass rusher from the OLB spot. The Rams may want him to cover more, but the guy could be a huge playmaker.

I agree he has such sudden acceleration that he can get in the backfield fast and make a mess of things. I'm sure they are going to have him going after it in some situations.....you can't just have a guy who tackles that well and moves that fast not in position for a drive killing play sometimes.