Top 10 cornerbacks: 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9417101/nfl-patrick-peterson-richard-sherman-top-10-cornerbacks-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... backs-2016</a>

As I've previously written, it's tough to be a cornerback in the NFL -- especially in today's NFL. Offensive coordinators consistently seek out the weakest link on defense and spread those players out to create favorable matchups. The speed of the game continues to increase, and players are bigger, stronger and faster than when I played in the 1970s and '80s.

Today's cornerbacks must possess mental toughness, ball awareness, ball skills as well as the ability to close on routes and change direction. The few players who can do all of these things well are the game's elite cornerbacks. It's these players, along with rising stars, who will serve as shutdown corners for years to come.

Here is my list of the top 10 projected cornerbacks for 2016:

1. Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals
I watched him when he was at LSU and knew he was going to be a star. He's a physical specimen at 6-foot-1 and 219 pounds, and he'll be only 26 years old entering the 2016 season. Peterson has great ball skills and recovery speed, although at times he could use better technique. Plus, he offers added value as a dangerous return man.

2. Richard Sherman, Seattle Seapidgeons
Another corner with very good length, it's really hard to beat Sherman deep. Seattle's system is perfect for him, because he can press receivers and disrupt them at the line of scrimmage -- which plays right into his confidence. With eight interceptions last season, he's only going to improve moving forward.

3. Leon Hall, Cincinnati Bengals
A somewhat under-the-radar player, Hall is a complete cornerback. He's not a press corner, but can be left on any island and plays with great eyes. Additionally, he has solid anticipation and footwork, and is a good tackler. If Hall can stay healthy, he'll continue to be an elite corner.

4. Joe Haden, Cleveland Browns
Haden was knocked at the combine for a slow 40-yard dash, but he definitely passed the eye test for me in college while at Florida. And he's continued to play at a high level in the NFL. The Browns have the confidence to put him on the opposition's top receiver and he relishes the challenge. He's good in both off and press coverage, can locate the ball in the air and is an underrated blitzer. New defensive coordinator Ray Horton will put him in position to succeed.

5. Janoris Jenkins, St. Louis Rams
If he can keep his priorities straight, Jenkins is on the fast track to becoming an elite corner. He has amazing recovery skills and is a terrific competitor, which is what Jeff Fisher saw in him coming out of college at North Alabama. He's a confident player who is fearless despite his size (5-10, 193 pounds). Not afraid to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage, Jenkins could quickly develop into a shutdown corner.

6. Casey Hayward, Green Bay Packers
I loved this kid at Vanderbilt, so I'm not surprised he played so well last season when injuries forced him into the lineup. Hayward has great hands and I'm really impressed with his route awareness. Plus, he has very good ball skills; since the Packers usually play with a lead, he'll have plenty of opportunities for interceptions.

7. Keenan Lewis, New Orleans Saints
Another player on the rise, Lewis signed as a free agent in New Orleans after being groomed in Dick LeBeau's defense in Pittsburgh. He'll need to adjust to a new defense under Rob Ryan, but I really like his skill set. Lewis has good vision, size (6-foot, 208) and physicality, and he'll play a key role for the Saints as he matches up against top receivers in the division like Julio Jones, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson and others.

8. Darrelle Revis, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
I think Revis still will have an island in three years, but it just won't be as big as it once was. When healthy, he's still the most complete cornerback in the NFL -- and that is why he's so low on this list. As I wrote back in April, I wouldn't bet against him coming back strong from his ACL injury. He's smart enough to understand angles, and he won't lose his ability to get up on receivers at the line of scrimmage. But I need to see him have a full season of health under his belt before moving him up this list.

9. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City Chiefs
I drafted Brandon in the second round of the 2008 draft, and he's only now starting to come into his prime. He's not the biggest corner, but he can play in the slot, understands route concepts and can come off the slot as a blitzer in the nickel package. He also has great eyes and anticipation on the ball.

10. Morris Claiborne, Dallas Cowboys
A cornerback's toughest season is his rookie campaign, because the speed of the game is drastically different from the college level and QBs look to pick on rookie CBs. Claiborne struggled some last season, but midway through found his way and improved in coverage. He's deficient in terms of fundamentals, but Monte Kiffin's system will help with that -- forcing him to play with technique. The Cowboys will play a lot of "China" coverage, which is man-to-man defense with a free safety in the middle. Claiborne, a former WR, also has great length and terrific ball skills.

Honorable mention: Dee Milliner, Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Carr, Lardarius Webb

bluecoconuts

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Another corner with very good length, it's really hard to beat Sherman deep. Seattle's system is perfect for him, because he can press receivers and disrupt them at the line of scrimmage -- which plays right into his confidence. With eight interceptions last season, he's only going to improve moving forward.

It's hard to beat him deep? That must be why people beat him deep, all the time. Givens did it, Roddy White did it, there were others. He has 8 interceptions because people throw to him, because he's not as good as he thinks. If he was really that good, they wouldn't through to him. Revis and Nnamdi (before leaving the Raiders) are evidence of that.

Sherman sucks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's hard to beat him deep? That must be why people beat him deep, all the time. Givens did it, Roddy White did it, there were others. He has 8 interceptions because people throw to him, because he's not as good as he thinks. If he was really that good, they wouldn't through to him. Revis and Nnamdi (before leaving the Raiders) are evidence of that.

Sherman sucks.
Yep. Never happens.

[nfl]0ap2000000067516[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000067516/Givens-52-yard-catch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... yard-catch</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend
You know the worst part of that play? He totally gives up when Givens makes the catch. And it's not because Thomas had the tackle, Sherman doesn't know if Thomas is going to get him before he just gives up. Had Givens slipped Thomas Sherman wouldn't have even been able to chase him.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9417101/nfl-patrick-peterson-richard-sherman-top-10-cornerbacks-2016

As I've previously written, it's tough to be a cornerback in the NFL -- especially in today's NFL. Offensive coordinators consistently seek out the weakest link on defense and spread those players out to create favorable matchups. The speed of the game continues to increase, and players are bigger, stronger and faster than when I played in the 1970s and '80s.

Today's cornerbacks must possess mental toughness, ball awareness, ball skills as well as the ability to close on routes and change direction. The few players who can do all of these things well are the game's elite cornerbacks. It's these players, along with rising stars, who will serve as shutdown corners for years to come.

Here is my list of the top 10 projected cornerbacks for 2016:

1. Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals
I watched him when he was at LSU and knew he was going to be a star. He's a physical specimen at 6-foot-1 and 219 pounds, and he'll be only 26 years old entering the 2016 season. Peterson has great ball skills and recovery speed, although at times he could use better technique. Plus, he offers added value as a dangerous return man.

3. Leon Hall, Cincinnati Bengals
A somewhat under-the-radar player, Hall is a complete cornerback. He's not a press corner, but can be left on any island and plays with great eyes. Additionally, he has solid anticipation and footwork, and is a good tackler. If Hall can stay healthy, he'll continue to be an elite corner.

4. Joe Haden, Cleveland Browns
Haden was knocked at the combine for a slow 40-yard dash, but he definitely passed the eye test for me in college while at Florida. And he's continued to play at a high level in the NFL. The Browns have the confidence to put him on the opposition's top receiver and he relishes the challenge. He's good in both off and press coverage, can locate the ball in the air and is an underrated blitzer. New defensive coordinator Ray Horton will put him in position to succeed.

5. Janoris Jenkins, St. Louis Rams
If he can keep his priorities straight, Jenkins is on the fast track to becoming an elite corner. He has amazing recovery skills and is a terrific competitor, which is what Jeff Fisher saw in him coming out of college at North Alabama. He's a confident player who is fearless despite his size (5-10, 193 pounds). Not afraid to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage, Jenkins could quickly develop into a shutdown corner.

6. Casey Hayward, Green Bay Packers
I loved this kid at Vanderbilt, so I'm not surprised he played so well last season when [censored] forced him into the lineup. Hayward has great hands and I'm really impressed with his route awareness. Plus, he has very good ball skills; since the Packers usually play with a lead, he'll have plenty of opportunities for interceptions.

7. Keenan Lewis, New Orleans Saints
Another player on the rise, Lewis signed as a free agent in New Orleans after being groomed in Dick LeBeau's defense in Pittsburgh. He'll need to adjust to a new defense under Rob Ryan, but I really like his skill set. Lewis has good vision, size (6-foot, 208) and physicality, and he'll play a key role for the Saints as he matches up against top receivers in the division like Julio Jones, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson and others.

8. Darrelle Revis, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
I think Revis still will have an island in three years, but it just won't be as big as it once was. When healthy, he's still the most complete cornerback in the NFL -- and that is why he's so low on this list. As I wrote back in April, I wouldn't bet against him coming back strong from his ACL injury. He's smart enough to understand angles, and he won't lose his ability to get up on receivers at the line of scrimmage. But I need to see him have a full season of health under his belt before moving him up this list.

9. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City Chiefs
I drafted Brandon in the second round of the 2008 draft, and he's only now starting to come into his prime. He's not the biggest corner, but he can play in the slot, understands route concepts and can come off the slot as a blitzer in the nickel package. He also has great eyes and anticipation on the ball.

10. Morris Claiborne, Dallas Cowboys
A cornerback's toughest season is his rookie campaign, because the speed of the game is drastically different from the college level and QBs look to pick on rookie CBs. Claiborne struggled some last season, but midway through found his way and improved in coverage. He's deficient in terms of fundamentals, but Monte Kiffin's system will help with that -- forcing him to play with technique. The Cowboys will play a lot of "China" coverage, which is man-to-man defense with a free safety in the middle. Claiborne, a former WR, also has great length and terrific ball skills.

Honorable mention: Dee Milliner, Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Carr, Lardarius Webb
No mention of Courtland Finnegan? I'd rather have Jenkins & Finnegan over a lot of these guys
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Our boy, Tru could be on this list. People just don't know him yet.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Not that I'm a big list guy, but seeing Jenkins above Claiborne makes me smile. I'll admit I wanted the Rams to take Claiborne and was disappointed by the trade down for Brockers at the time. Psyched that from the early returns I was dead wrong.