Too soon for draft talk?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I, for one, never fully understood the disdain for having a high quality RT. Sure, it's not the "blind side" but don't you think any team facing C. Long would love to have an elite RT? I think as pass rushing evolves a quality RT becomes more of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.

As for Long. I know he is under contract but IIRC his contract is somewhat team friendly in the last couple of years. I hope he plays out the full contract at a high level but, especially given his injury history, having a capable replacement starting on the right side sounds like a good contingency plan. Then, in the event of an injury, or declined play, Matthews is ready to move over and Barksdale fill in on the right side.

I've got nothing against high quality RT, just like I have nothing against high quality punters, it's just that historically the high quality RT have been found later in the draft. I'd rather take trade down and pick up a second than use a high pick on a RT.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'd be shocked if Bridgewater and Mariota don't go 1 and 2 overall. Clowney goes 3. He is being compared favorably to Julius Peppers. Those kind of guys don't go lower than 3.

I want impact players with 2 picks in the top 10. I want players with ProBowl level talent, not just hole fillers. Matthews and Watkins work for me.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I've got nothing against high quality RT, just like I have nothing against high quality punters, it's just that historically the high quality RT have been found later in the draft. I'd rather take trade down and pick up a second than use a high pick on a RT.

You make a legitimate point, and maybe I've bought into too much hype on Matthews, but if he's around when we pick I, personally, would have a hard time passing him up.

Napa Jack

UDFA
Yeah it was said in jest. Mariotta will be gone and Thomas will go someplace that already has guys who know how to run block. That ain't the Rams. Barr is a good idea though.

I was a Bradford supporter for a while. Not sure now. He can throw fine but he needs to be able to move and I don't see it. Of course, the Rams haven't had much of an offensive line in some time. Don't know if I trust they know how to draft one.

V3

Hall of Fame
Its never too early!

1a. Mike Evans

Rams need someome that Sam can throw a jump ball to with confidence that he will come down with it. The last two receivers that dominated the SEC the way Evans is doing - AJ Green and Julio Jones.

1b. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

I'd much rather have Byrd in free agency, but if not, this has got to be the pick.

I have to agree with this one. I'm not passing on a TRUE #1 WR. Quick and Austin aren't true #1 WR's. I don't think they ever will be. That's not to say they won't have their place and provide something but this team NEEDS a true playmaking WR that can create problems all by himself- no need to scheme mismatches. He'll create the mismatches all by himself.

For the other pick, it has to be either a S or a CB. Our secondary is hurting. Bad. We only have one S that I really think is a true starter(McD) and I think he's more of a box S. We need a ballhawking S to help out our CB's. Also, Finnegan shouldn't be around much longer with his contract so we'll be woefully thin at CB as well. Whoever is the better value, take. I can almost guarantee that the Rams will be taking either a CB or S (maybe both?) in the first round this year. The Rams pick for need by maneuvering so I don't see them taking some random position that we don't really need to fill like RT.

V3

Hall of Fame
I, for one, never fully understood the disdain for having a high quality RT. Sure, it's not the "blind side" but don't you think any team facing C. Long would love to have an elite RT? I think as pass rushing evolves a quality RT becomes more of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.

As for Long. I know he is under contract but IIRC his contract is somewhat team friendly in the last couple of years. I hope he plays out the full contract at a high level but, especially given his injury history, having a capable replacement starting on the right side sounds like a good contingency plan. Then, in the event of an injury, or declined play, Matthews is ready to move over and Barksdale fill in on the right side.

Barksdale will be gone by that time. Either the Rams are going to keep him as a starter or he's going to go to a team that needs a starter. He's shown that he can play. Other teams have seen it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have seen Ha Ha Clinton-Dix play at my old high school back when he played at Dr. Philips in Florida. The guy is a monster! He is a ball hawk, he made half the teams tackles and he returned a punt. Can't deny his talent.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Its never too early!

1a. Mike Evans

Rams need someome that Sam can throw a jump ball to with confidence that he will come down with it. The last two receivers that dominated the SEC the way Evans is doing - AJ Green and Julio Jones.

1b. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

I'd much rather have Byrd in free agency, but if not, this has got to be the pick.

Mike Evans is a talent, no doubt. My only knock on him is how soft his is after the catch. For how big he is, he seems to go down on first contact quite often.

I love Ha-Ha, and Jarius wants big big money, which means we have to pay him more than that to come to STL.