Too soon for draft talk?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
...not that there isn't going to be somethings to take from the rest of this season, but I just can't help to start wondering what direction this team looks in regard to the draft.

Looking at the SRs and JRs and what the Rams need and where they likely will be drafting I wonder if this is the year Fisher breaks history and takes an OT...and we continue to tweak our secondary.

Jake Mathews and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix?

iced

.... i really expect to the top 3 of the draft to go like this:

1)Bridgewater
2)Clowney
3)matthews

either way i wouldn't take a RT that high

and i don't see us having worse records than the jaguars, bucs, raiders, vikings, maybe even steelers..

jjab360

Legend
I think Bridgewater, Mariota, and Jake Matthews go top 3.

Rams get lucky and end up with Clowney with the Skins pick at 4 or 5 after he has a bit of a down year. Clowney won't start his rookie year, but will get a ton of snaps all over the D-line. The Rams pick ends up in the 8-12 range, where they take Clinton-Dix.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams get lucky and end up with Clowney with the Skins pick at 4 or 5 after he has a bit of a down year. Clowney won't start his rookie year, but will get a ton of snaps all over the D-line. The Rams pick ends up in the 8-12 range, where they take Clinton-Dix.

No its not too early why would you want to restrict such conversations?. I'm thinking that the Rams will have two selections in the top 10. IMO Rams first rounder may be the first pick in front of the Skins. Could be a top 5. I prefer a ORT Jake Mathews over the Gamecocks DE.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

Isn't mariota a sophomore?

who do you think clowny replaces, Or plays DT instead?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see Matthews going top three at all. I think he probably goes somewhere between 6-12 honestly.

Clowney will be top 3.

Just for sheer boredom, if the season was to end today the Redskins pick would be between 5 and 8, the Rams between 9 and 12, lets go worse case for both 8 and 12 my dream draft:

Trade down 8 to 16 for a second round pick, trade down from 12 to 20 for a second round pick.

16: Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
20: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
44: Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame
48: Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
52: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just for sheer boredom, if the season was to end today the Redskins pick would be between 5 and 8, the Rams between 9 and 12, lets go worse case for both 8 and 12 my dream draft:

Trade down 8 to 16 for a second round pick, trade down from 12 to 20 for a second round pick.

Love it.

jjab360

Legend
Isn't mariota a sophomore?

who do you think clowny replaces, Or plays DT instead?
Redshirt sophomore, he's eligible and probably coming out.

As for Clowney, I think he takes over Hayes' and Sims' snaps, as well as playing a lot of DT as well. I don't think people realize how many snaps our backup D-linemen get, there's plenty of space for another star D-lineman to come in and have a similar situation to the 2007 Giants with Strahan, Tuck, Umienyiora, Kiwanuka, etc. Clowney is plenty strong to play DT on running downs as well, I don't think people realize how powerful he is.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Redshirt sophomore, he's eligible and probably coming out.

As for Clowney, I think he takes over Hayes' and Sims' snaps, as well as playing a lot of DT as well. I don't think people realize how many snaps our backup D-linemen get, there's plenty of space for another star D-lineman to come in and have a similar situation to the 2007 Giants with Strahan, Tuck, Umienyiora, Kiwanuka, etc. Clowney is plenty strong to play DT on running downs as well, I don't think people realize how powerful he is.

O nice, I didn't know he was a Redshirt. Hes on fire right now though, the kids good. Both of them are good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Don't sleep on Barr...top notch.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

In this scenario who have you got at RT next year, Barksdale?

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I agree that Barksdale has done well enough but I thought that in the few plays Saffold played on Monday night Saffold was noticeably better. Too bad he cannot stay healthy.

If J. Matthews is still on the board when we get to our first pick I've got to think/hope we consider him. He would be an immediate upgrade to both Barksdale and Saffold, IMO, and could take J. Long's slot at LT when the time is right. Best case scenario for me.

Napa Jack

UDFA
Change everything. Mariotta, Barr, DeThomas. Trade Bradford for early selections. Pick up run blockers later from those schools that know how to block in the Speed of Flight offense. Can the current OC install something like that? Excitement might actually save this franchise.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Change everything. Mariotta, Barr, DeThomas. Trade Bradford for early selections. Pick up run blockers later from those schools that know how to block in the Speed of Flight offense. Can the current OC install something like that? Excitement might actually save this franchise.

This is all a joke, right?

I agree that Barksdale has done well enough but I thought that in the few plays Saffold played on Monday night Saffold was noticeably better. Too bad he cannot stay healthy.

If J. Matthews is still on the board when we get to our first pick I've got to think/hope we consider him. He would be an immediate upgrade to both Barksdale and Saffold, IMO, and could take J. Long's slot at LT when the time is right. Best case scenario for me.

The thing is Long is under contract for 3 seasons after this one, so you're either moving Long to RT, spending a top 5 pick on a RT for three years, or cutting Long at some point, I'm not sure I like any of the three options, would rather draft a LT in 3 years time.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Its never too early!

1a. Mike Evans

Rams need someome that Sam can throw a jump ball to with confidence that he will come down with it. The last two receivers that dominated the SEC the way Evans is doing - AJ Green and Julio Jones.

1b. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

I'd much rather have Byrd in free agency, but if not, this has got to be the pick.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The thing is Long is under contract for 3 seasons after this one, so you're either moving Long to RT, spending a top 5 pick on a RT for three years, or cutting Long at some point, I'm not sure I like any of the three options, would rather draft a LT in 3 years time.

I, for one, never fully understood the disdain for having a high quality RT. Sure, it's not the "blind side" but don't you think any team facing C. Long would love to have an elite RT? I think as pass rushing evolves a quality RT becomes more of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.

As for Long. I know he is under contract but IIRC his contract is somewhat team friendly in the last couple of years. I hope he plays out the full contract at a high level but, especially given his injury history, having a capable replacement starting on the right side sounds like a good contingency plan. Then, in the event of an injury, or declined play, Matthews is ready to move over and Barksdale fill in on the right side.