Too many Penalties in 2012

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We suffered some drive killing penalties in 2012. One of which, cost us a win - San Fran Tie.

Team by Team in Total Penalties:
St. Louis Rams 130
Baltimore Ravens 121
Dallas Cowboys 117
Washington Redskins 116
Cleveland Browns 113
Seattle Seahawks 110
San Francisco 49ers 109
Oakland Raiders 109
Houston Texans 108
Tennessee Titans 106
New Orleans Saints 104
Buffalo Bills 104
San Diego Chargers 103
Detroit Lions 103
Green Bay Packers 103
Chicago Bears 102
Arizona Cardinals 102
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 101
Jacksonville Jaguars 101
Denver Broncos 100
Cincinnati Bengals 99
Carolina Panthers 98
Philadelphia Eagles 98
New England Patriots 97
Indianapolis Colts 94
Kansas City Chiefs 92
Pittsburgh Steelers 92
Minnesota Vikings 90
New York Jets 83
Miami Dolphins 83
New York Giants 72
Atlanta Falcons 55

Team by Team in Differential Yards:
Team Yds +/-
Indianapolis Colts 407
New York Giants 322
Miami Dolphins 306
Atlanta Falcons 226
Philadelphia Eagles 179
Denver Broncos 146
Green Bay Packers 132
Minnesota Vikings 119
New England Patriots 107
New York Jets 97
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 36
Seattle Seahawks 12
Cleveland Browns 3
San Diego Chargers 2
Houston Texans -10
Oakland Raiders -14
Arizona Cardinals -47
Pittsburgh Steelers -56
Kansas City Chiefs -63
New Orleans Saints -76
Cincinnati Bengals -78
Chicago Bears -107
Carolina Panthers -124
Dallas Cowboys -127
Tennessee Titans -130
Jacksonville Jaguars -135
Detroit Lions -160
Washington Redskins -169
Buffalo Bills -178
Baltimore Ravens -198
San Francisco 49ers -202
St. Louis Rams -220

When I see the -220 I'm pretty sure it does NOT include the yardage lost in that San Fran game when Gibson was lined up off the LOS.

So why so many penalties?

I think the obvious response is; "we are a young team".

Here is the breakdown by player. I see penalties by the young guys, but I'm not sure it can be completely blamed on youth.
ScreenShot2013-01-04at111633AM_zpse9624d75.png

ScreenShot2013-01-04at111719AM_zpsc2e9f2d8.png

Perhaps its the aggressive style of play?

One thing that jumped out at me in the data is; penalties don't seem to have a correlation to the win-loss record. Meaning, there are quite a few playoff teams highly penalized.

One thing is for sure; to squeeze out a few more wins... we need to reduce the penalties in 2013.

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties.html?yr=2012

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I suppose it'll settle down some after they get familiar with the schemes (again). Youth has to be taken into account for some of that too I suppose. Either way, yeah; that's a trend that needs to be reversed pretty quickly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm surprised there isn't any high PI. Fletcher had that 3 in a game vs. NE but wow that's pretty good.

A lot of these penalties were horseshit tough.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Apparently Fletcher is the only person who ever had PI called against him, which was a little shocking. I'm assuming all of Sam's were delay of game?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bradford should have made it an even 10 by getting an Unsportsmanlike Conduct for kicking Saffold in the ass once. He was a jumpy sumbitch this year. That aside, Saffold is a stud, and if he stays healthy, we have no problems on that side of the line. Just needs to remember the snap count and not turn into a more beastly version of Alex Barron.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The penalties that irked me the most are the DOGs on Bradford. Of course, half of those could be blamed on the coaching staff getting plays in on time but they just drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, there were a few stupid ones too on the D.

What's interesting to me is 5 of the top 9 flagged teams are in the playoffs!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
The penalties that irked me the most are the DOGs on Bradford. Of course, half of those could be blamed on the coaching staff getting plays in on time but they just drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me, or did it seem like everytime they showed Bradford getting plays from the sidelines, he was cupping his helmet and mouthing, "I can't hear it"? Maybe the first priority should be getting your audio issues remedied.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Ramhusker said:

Is it just me, or did it seem like everytime they showed Bradford getting plays from the sidelines, he was cupping his helmet and mouthing, "I can't hear it"? Maybe the first priority should be getting your audio issues remedied.

I think Fisher talked about Sam running some more no huddle and calling his own plays (something he's good at) next year, as he's more comfortable with the offense, so hopefully that will help the delay penalties from audio issues. If he can't hear it just call his own.