Tony Softli: "The big boy's back."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/08/08202012155019.mp3[/rp3]

On Brockers: He's baby huey. He doesn't even know how he can hurt people right now. He hasn't gained any girth, and his upper body strength will come next season. The sky's the limit.

On Dunbar: Good coverage. Nickel and dime come in, and he doesn't leave the field. Fisher's going to leave him in on passing downs because he runs like a safety. He flies all over the field. He's gonna give up some stuff because he's a bit undersized though.

On Rok Watkins: Another rookie that's progressing. He's already learned the RG position, now he's getting acclimated to the LG position. He's out of Boudreau's doghouse. He knows the offense, he's now in shape. I watched him pancake a guy in that game and he just laid on him. Laid his girth on this guy. Once he gets his hands on you, it's over.

On Scott Wells: He provides that true leadership. He can bring that ability to call the protections and get everyone glued in. They're really missing him now, and it's scaring me that he's not even in today. I'm hoping he plays this week, but if he doesn't, let's hold him until he does. Robert Turner's doing a fine job, but Wells is the guy. He really is.

On the height of the secondary: I like my safeties bigger. Over 6'0", you know 207 lbs. Guys that go downhill and get you. It does bother me a little. I like the way Q plays, and Darian Stewart, they give up a little size. Craig Dahl is a little bit of a liability in coverage, and they need a 4th guy. They need a 4th safety in a bad way.

On Trumaine Johnson as a safety?: I can name a bunch of teams who have big tall safeties, but this guy's got corner cover skills. He looks like a safety, but he's got burst, acceleration and click. His drive back to the ball is a little bit slow, but that's the only thing that concerns me right now. They might match him up in the slot against a taller corner or TE, but he's a corner.

On Bradford: You know what? Let me just tell you this (laughing). He can look you off, and throw the other way, he can slide it in a window, he can do a lot of things with the ball ... Saturday was an indicator of that. Sam is Sam. He'll continue to get better with Cignetti. I thought he played well against Indy too, but they just couldn't put it in the endzone.

On Jason Smith: Better than the first game. I like the aggression in the second game. The one thing that showed me Jason Smith is back, is when there was a pass downfield, and he went down the field to pick a couple guys off the receiver, and that's when I said, [hil]"Okay, the big boy's back."[/hil] That's the attitude I was looking for.

On Richardson: This guy surprised me against Indy. The second game? Not too bad. I don't think he's the long-term answer, but right now he's ahead of Jason because of the consistency, and his familiarity with the system. If Jason surpasses him, so be it. But right now, let's get Richardson ready to play.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
So refreshing on all accounts.

'Patience'- Guns N Roses (queue the intro whistling).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
Do we have any other CBs that can move to safety?
Nobody that size. Murphy could maybe be a safety, but he's more a nickel corner or extra linebacker on passing downs. Good tackler, and he hits like a safety. I'm kinda hoping Daniels accelerates his learning curve and makes his way into the lineup. He could be the guy we're looking for.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
JdashSTL said:
Nobody that size. Murphy could maybe be a safety, but he's more a nickel corner or extra linebacker on passing downs. Good tackler, and he hits like a safety. I'm kinda hoping Daniels accelerates his learning curve and makes his way into the lineup. He could be the guy we're looking for.

Yeah, I am kinda surprised Daniels hasn't shown more as of yet. He is not the biggest guy either, but from everything I have read about him, he has all the tools you want for a safety. Closing speed and a willingness to drop the pads and stick a fool. Heres hoping he can make an impact here in the next couple weeks....

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

Yeah, I am kinda surprised Daniels hasn't shown more as of yet. He is not the biggest guy either, but from everything I have read about him, he has all the tools you want for a safety. Closing speed and a willingness to drop the pads and stick a fool. Heres hoping he can make an impact here in the next couple weeks....

From what I have heard from various camp guys, including above Softli, he has trouble in coverage, to the point of having trouble tracking the ball in flight (he misjudges it).

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
Faceplant said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

From what I have heard from various camp guys, including above Softli, he has trouble in coverage, to the point of having trouble tracking the ball in flight (he misjudges it).

Have to think McLeod has a significant edge for that 4th S spot, no?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
zn said:
Faceplant said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

Have to think McLeod has a significant edge for that 4th S spot, no?
For sure. Not sure if anyone noticed, but Mikell sucked in the game. After the first 2 preseason games, I think safety is our worst group.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
For sure. Not sure if anyone noticed, but Mikell sucked in the game. After the first 2 preseason games, I think safety is our worst group.
Yeah. Getting kind of tired of Dahl being out of position. And Mikell, uncharacteristically, didn't do much better. Chalk it up to a new system for Mikell, and same-ole', same-ole' for Dahl I guess? Couple more games to iron this stuff out, but T Soft is right. We need another safety to step up here soon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Yeah. Getting kind of tired of Dahl being out of position. And Mikell, uncharacteristically, didn't do much better. Chalk it up to a new system for Mikell, and same-ole', same-ole' for Dahl I guess? Couple more games to iron this stuff out, but T Soft is right. We need another safety to step up here soon.
McLeod looks pretty good. I think he is going to be that guy if needed. Hopefully, once Darian gets back in the swing, he can upgrade the position. We still need more help there, and it will be interesting if Murphy, Fletcher, or Johnson are switched to safety. We have WAY more talent at corner, which we will have to cut. Why not try them at safety?

Mikell missed a bunch of tackles, which your safety can't do.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
McLeod looks pretty good. I think he is going to be that guy if needed. Hopefully, once Darian gets back in the swing, he can upgrade the position. We still need more help there, and it will be interesting if Murphy, Fletcher, or Johnson are switched to safety. We have WAY more talent at corner, which we will have to cut. Why not try them at safety?

Coaching staff is on the same page as you Dr. McLeod got some reps with the first team D in practice today

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

Coaching staff is on the same page as you Dr. McLeod got some reps with the first team D in practice today
Like I always say....Film doesn't lie. Errr except in Craig Dahl's case. Dahl actually played a decent game, btw.