Tony Softli OTA Notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.tonysoftli.com/2014/06/08/bradford-looking-good-otas/

Sam Bradford quickly understood the hard road he faced after tearing his ACL in the fourth quarter of the Rams’ game vs. the Carolina Panthers last October. Prior to his surgery, the Oklahoma City native nicknamed the “Big Easy” worked diligently for nearly a month to strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee (quadriceps, hamstring and calves) and hip.

The main reason for the pre-surgery rehab process: It lightens the stress on the joint itself and, hopefully, presents fewer problems when building muscle endurance following the procedure. Hours of stretching, weight-room lifting and working out in the pool with trainers, not to mention specific cardio exercises, work toward such an end result.

While many of his teammates and people in the St. Louis organization worked in offseason vacations, Bradford grinded it out. He spent almost every day with head athletic trainer Reggie Scott, using his impressive start to the 2013 season as added motivation. He prepared for his future as the leader of this franchise.

That future is now. Bradford, heading into his fifth season as signal-caller, practiced in the club’s third OTA session on Friday afternoon. He spun a good ball, with velocity and accuracy, displaying the ability to throw to an area or stick it on a receiver in drill work. Several balls sailed on No. 8, but the anticipation and timing will only improve.

Bradford’s footwook looked good and was smooth, as well. He sported a black brace on his left knee, but seemed very comfortable and confident in his movement, transferring his weight to the post (surgical) leg and delivering passes with no issues. Also on display: the former Heisman Trophy winner’s reshaped physique. He now stands 6-4 and weighs 236 pounds, with more muscle mass in both the upper and lower body.

Defensive Notes:

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has quickly put his mark on a very young unit. After stretching, the defensive players gather around Williams, who quickly puts them through a few minutes of mental conditioning as a group before they are sent off to position coaches. Williams’ distinct bark and easily recognizable voice can be heard near and far. As various players have mentioned, he considers every day to be a job interview.

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have constructed a roster that places a premium on competition and breeding success quickly. NFL analysts like to cite the defensive ends, led by Chris Long and Robert Quinn, as the squad’s primary strength. In reality, though, the rest of the front four seems set on making just as much of an impact. Inside tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford, draftees Aaron Donald, Michael Sam, Ethan Westbrook and veterans Alex Carrington and Matt Conrath all continue to make strides.

Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are currently penciled in on the first unit, but backup Brandon McGee has turned a lot of heads. Greg Reid, E.J. Gaines and Darren Woodard are learning fast, too.

The back end of the defense features T.J. McDonald leading the way, but look for this position to be a true dog fight throughout training camp and the preseason. Rodney McLeod, Mo Alexander, Cody Davis and the very talented Lamarcus Joyner, whose versatility to man several positions in the secondary makes him so valuable, are among those vying for the second safety spot.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Bradford has put on 12lbs of muscle since last year(going by nfl.com listing him at 224) which is good to hear. Hopefully it is beneficial.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hopefully Bradford can maintain that size/strength and be a bit tougher for defenders to pull down on sacks. I'm having a hard time recalling where he's made a play where a defender had previously grabbed or bounce off of him.

And now Lamarcus Joyner is vying for the 2nd safety spot? Is Softli mistaken or has the team come to the conclusion that they'd be setting themselves for a potential matchup problems with him lined up as the slot CB most of the time?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You and Me and Brandon McGee has always looked the part and has excellent speed and is an asset on special teams...Issue being he had trouble actually covering the WR's and struggled understand the scheme. Hopefully with DC's Gregg Williams aggressive approach, he can just play and not be out of position.

FRO

Legend
You and Me and Brandon McGee has always looked the part and has excellent speed and is an asset on special teams...Issue being he had trouble actually covering the WR's and struggled understand the scheme. Hopefully with DC's Gregg Williams aggressive approach, he can just play and not be out of position.
To be fair to McGee, he had limited exposure on defense last year. He did look bad when out there, but he was a rookie and capable of improving.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To be fair to McGee, he had limited exposure on defense last year. He did look bad when out there, but he was a rookie and capable of improving.

True, but he was a CB and was drafted as such, however, was kept on the pine for the likes of a shorter Rodney McCleod and the less athletic Matt Gioridano...Hopefully, McGee has improved, but his modus operandi at Miami was at times, he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane...I hope he's ready physically and mentally in 2014.

FRO

Legend
True, but he was a CB and was drafted as such, however, was kept on the pine for the likes of a shorter Rodney McCleod and the less athletic Matt Gioridano...Hopefully, McGee has improved, but his modus operandi at Miami was at times, he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane...I hope he's ready physically and mentally in 2014.
Very fair. He was bad when playing CB last year. He looked very good at camp. Maybe he will improve, if he doesn't he probably won't make the team. A lot of talented rookies on the roster.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Very fair. He was bad when playing CB last year. He looked very good at camp. Maybe he will improve, if he doesn't he probably won't make the team. A lot of talented rookies on the roster.

Very true and I still have high hopes for him, but there will be stiff competition from the likes of Gaines, Reid & maybe even Marcus Roberson. Add in Joyner and all of us expect the secondary to be much better in 2014.

FRO

Legend
Very true and I still have high hopes for him, but there will be stiff competition from the likes of Gaines, Reid & maybe even Marcus Roberson. Add in Joyner and all of us expect the secondary to be much better in 2014.
I expect some mental mistakes from our DBs this year. It's a very young group. Mistakes will happen.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Damn, it's so easy to forget about Carrington with this lineup. The depth is insane.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
The secondary stuff is very interesting to me. Softly says:

"Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are currently penciled in on the first unit, but backup Brandon McGee has turned a lot of heads. Greg Reid, E.J. Gaines and Darren Woodard are learning fast, too. The back end of the defense features T.J. McDonald leading the way, but look for this position to be a true dog fight throughout training camp and the preseason. Rodney McLeod, Mo Alexander, Cody Davis and the very talented Lamarcus Joyner, whose versatility to man several positions in the secondary makes him so valuable, are among those vying for the second safety spot."

Coming out of the draft, Joyner was pegged as the starting slot corner in the nickel. The idea that they have him at safety suggests to me that they believe they have sufficient depth at nickel, and that Joyner could have more impact at safety sorta like Tyrann Mathieu.

Re: slot, I wonder who the top slot guy is? Brandon McGee? Greg Reid is a born slot CB. And they still have McLeod who did well on the slot.

I kinda like the idea of having so much quickness in the secondary ie adding Joyner at S and Reid at CB to McDonald, TruJo and Jenkins. The veteran QBs will know where the windows are that they can throw to on pretty much any defense. But these super-quick QBs can really shrink those windows, make the QBs hold on to the ball a split second longer, or throw a harder ball.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Coming out of the draft, Joyner was pegged as the starting slot corner in the nickel. The idea that they have him at safety suggests to me that they believe they have sufficient depth at nickel, and that Joyner could have more impact at safety sorta like Tyrann Mathieu.

That's really what I expected them to do with Joyner coming out of the draft. Mathieu and Joyner have very similar skillsets with the ability to play both positions.

It was a little surprising to me when Fish said Joyner wouldn't be playing safety.

Perhaps they've changed their minds.

FRO

Legend
Really Joyner is a much better version of McLeod. A slot CB and safety combo. On run downs use McDonald and Alexander at safety. On pass downs use McDonald and Joyner at safety.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Really Joyner is a much better version of McLeod. A slot CB and safety combo. On run downs use McDonald and Alexander at safety. On pass downs use McDonald and Joyner at safety.

That's an understatement. :ROFLMAO:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hopefully Bradford can maintain that size/strength and be a bit tougher for defenders to pull down on sacks. I'm having a hard time recalling where he's made a play where a defender had previously grabbed or bounce off of him.

And now Lamarcus Joyner is vying for the 2nd safety spot? Is Softli mistaken or has the team come to the conclusion that they'd be setting themselves for a potential matchup problems with him lined up as the slot CB most of the time?
Wouldn't be the first time that he's confused safeties, for corners on our team.