Tony Softli on the conclusion of OTAs (w/notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[101]96935112[/101]
<a class="postlink" href="https://soundcloud.com/101sports/tony-softli-on-the-conclusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://soundcloud.com/101sports/tony-s ... conclusion</a>

What did you like best about the OTAs?
They got bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic. For all position that needed to be, they accomplished that. You got to see Sam Bradford throw to some explosive weapons. Guys that can stick their foot in the ground and change direction with a lot of burst and athleticism. I can't wait for July 25th when TC starts. That's gonna be fun for me.

On Matt Giordano
He came out of Cal. Good size, SB Champion (w/Colts). Played the last year with the Raiders. He can come in and help right away as depth - an emergency starter - and special teams ace right off the bat.

What positions do you think Les Snead is eyeing for next year?
Probably OT, not knowing what's gonna happen with Saffold, and secondary. Looking to improve at the safety position, and outside linebacker as well. I think it's gonna be more of a offensive line, or a defensive type draft, and there are a couple of big boys coming into that draft that could solidify one of those first round picks.

On bringing in vet linebackers.
They need depth. The rookies have nice size and athleticism, but they're young guys. The need some veteran help. Guys who can come in and fill in in a backup role, help out in emergency situations, and be core guys on special teams. Ogletree is gonna start, but they need depth behind him. Ray Ray is gonna be close, but I don't know if he's gonna be ready to start this year.

Did you see enough on the RBs that you're comfortable?
I think they're comfortable with the group they have. They'll do it by committee. I like what I see out of Isaiah Pead - they're saying his issues are behind him. Richardson kind of picked up where he left off last year. I'd like to see more of Ganaway and Stacy. Two of the more hammer-type backs. That's what I wanna see during preseason and that scrimmage on August 3rd.

On Brian Quick
There's a reason why he ended up in App State. I don't think he was ready for Div 1 football. This is the top of the iceberg with Quick. Just the tip (lol). The best is yet to come and we see flashes of it in practice. I just hope he gets to open up full throttle during the season.

No fullback?
What we saw last year is that Fisher likes to use a TE in those situations. Look for Lance to fill that void. A blocker, that wham guy. Also McNeil. I like him as a receiver, but he proved he can do both when given the opportunity. But I think Zach Potter is gonna be the more in-line guy to free those two up. For me, if you can find a true FB that's great, but the bottom line is, it's a dying breed in the NFL. They play maybe 8-12 snaps a game, so they try to find a position that can do both, and i think they're doing that with the TE/FB position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
X said:
[101]96935112[/101]

Probably OT, not knowing what's gonna happen with Saffold, and secondary. Looking to improve at the safety position, and outside linebacker as well. I think it's gonna be more of a offensive line, or a defensive type draft, and there are a couple of big boys coming into that draft that could solidify one of those first round picks.

Its my belief that Snead & Fisher were looking @ OT's this year but it just was not in the cards for us. Currently it looks like they did very well. But Tony is correct the ORT has present questions now even with Saffold & all the positive yak ignoring his two past seasons worth of missing copious amounts of games... but Saffold could be the best ORT in the NFL if healthy plus I have some serious concerns with our current third OT Joe Barksdale being the starter if Saffold goes down.

Think Fisher is looking hard at OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M Fisher loves those NFL bloodlines! I am sure Bruce and Fisher are close to this day.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam questioning the abilities/ability to stay healthy of our OTs:
Its my belief that Snead & Fisher were looking @ OT's this year but it just was not in the cards for us. Currently it looks like they did very well. But Tony is correct the ORT has present questions now even with Saffold & all the positive yak ignoring his two past seasons worth of missing copious amounts of games...plus I have some serious concerns with our current third OT Joe Barksdale being the starter if Saffold goes down.

Think Fisher is looking hard at OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M Fisher loves those NFL bloodlines! I am sure Bruce and Fisher are close to this day.

The good news about trying to draft a good OT next year is the fact that many of the bottom feeder teams stocked up on them this year. Good thing too because I don't think we're gonna have high picks in the draft next year. I expect both the #1s to be in the twenties and I would really not like it if we traded up in the first again.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
X said:
[101]96935112[/101]

Its my belief that Snead & Fisher were looking @ OT's this year but it just was not in the cards for us. Currently it looks like they did very well. But Tony is correct the ORT has present questions now even with Saffold & all the positive yak ignoring his two past seasons worth of missing copious amounts of games... but Saffold could be the best ORT in the NFL if healthy plus I have some serious concerns with our current third OT Joe Barksdale being the starter if Saffold goes down.

They would have jumped all over Bakhtiari if he was around when the Rams picked in the 4th. He will probably end up being the starter for Green Bay sometime this season.

lockdnram21

Legend
albefree69 said:
BonifayRam questioning the abilities/ability to stay healthy of our OTs:
Its my belief that Snead & Fisher were looking @ OT's this year but it just was not in the cards for us. Currently it looks like they did very well. But Tony is correct the ORT has present questions now even with Saffold & all the positive yak ignoring his two past seasons worth of missing copious amounts of games...plus I have some serious concerns with our current third OT Joe Barksdale being the starter if Saffold goes down.

The good news about trying to draft a good OT next year is the fact that many of the bottom feeder teams stocked up on them this year. Good thing too because I don't think we're gonna have high picks in the draft next year. I expect both the #1s to be in the twenties and I would really not like it if we traded up in the first again.

I dont care if we trade up as long as its worth it

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
lockdnram21 wrote:
Ay, there's the rub isn't it? When is it worth it to trade up in the first round? It's probably going to cost you a second rounder at least. A second rounder is almost a sure fire high quality starter. So that means instead of getting two high quality starters you're getting only one. There aren't very many players that are worth that.

It only makes sense IMO, when you only need the final piece to the puzzle. I don't think we're going be in that position next year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
lockdnram21 wrote:
Ay, there's the rub isn't it? When is it worth it to trade up in the first round? It's probably going to cost you a second rounder at least. A second rounder is almost a sure fire high quality starter. So that means instead of getting two high quality starters you're getting only one. There aren't very many players that are worth that.

It only makes sense IMO, when you only need the final piece to the puzzle. I don't think we're going be in that position next year.
Well it depends on how you look at it. I don't think it's that cut and dried. The second round is also full of guys like Jimmy Clausen, Taylor Mays, Pat White, Clint Sintim, Titus Young, and a whole host of other non-impact players. If the Rams are even 5 pieces away from the puzzle, I would hope they'd aggressively pursue the guy that could potentially make the biggest impact. If Jadeveon Clowney is someone they really like next year, and they have to go up and get him (while forfeiting a 2nd), then I would applaud that decision.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X not realizing how cut and dried it sounds when albe says it:
Well it depends on how you look at it. I don't think it's that cut and dried. The second round is also full of guys like Jimmy Clausen, Taylor Mays, Pat White, Clint Sintim, Titus Young, and a whole host of other non-impact players. If the Rams are even 5 pieces away from the puzzle, I would hope they'd aggressively pursue the guy that could potentially make the biggest impact. If Jadeveon Clowney is someone they really like next year, and they have to go up and get him (while forfeiting a 2nd), then I would applaud that decision.

Nothing's cut and dried for sure but I'm talking percentages here. As for Clowney, if his projections come through as expected it's going to take a lot more than a 2nd rounder to go up and get him. So if someone is stupid enough to only ask for our top 1st rounder and our 2nd round pick I'd be willing to suspend my draft philosophy this once. :lol:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Well it depends on how you look at it. I don't think it's that cut and dried. The second round is also full of guys like Jimmy Clausen, Taylor Mays, Pat White, Clint Sintim, Titus Young, ahem... Klopfenstein....and a whole host of other non-impact players. If the Rams are even 5 pieces away from the puzzle, I would hope they'd aggressively pursue the guy that could potentially make the biggest impact. If Jadeveon Clowney is someone they really like next year, and they have to go up and get him (while forfeiting a 2nd), then I would applaud that decision.

Thought I'd punch up your post for emphasis. Think I'd rather we traded up. Of course back then it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
X said:
Well it depends on how you look at it. I don't think it's that cut and dried. The second round is also full of guys like Jimmy Clausen, Taylor Mays, Pat White, Clint Sintim, Titus Young, ahem... Klopfenstein....and a whole host of other non-impact players. If the Rams are even 5 pieces away from the puzzle, I would hope they'd aggressively pursue the guy that could potentially make the biggest impact. If Jadeveon Clowney is someone they really like next year, and they have to go up and get him (while forfeiting a 2nd), then I would applaud that decision.

Thought I'd punch up your post for emphasis. Think I'd rather we traded up. Of course back then it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
The Klopmeister. :gr:
What? No Brian Leonard?