Tony Softli breaks down Utah State DB Maurice Alexander

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://pro.kfnz-am.tritonflex.com/c...+State+DB+Maurice+Alexander&id=6534&is_corp=0

Utah State defensive back Maurice Alexander who was taken in the early part of the fourth round, and was a mildly surprise pick since he was taken ahead of teammate Nevin Lawson. Tony Softli who is the sideline reporter for the St. Louis Rams radio broadcast, and worked in the NFL front offices for 15 years as a talent evaluator chimed in about how Alexander fits in with the Rams.

[av]http://stationcaster.com/stations/kfnz/media/mpeg/St__Louis_Rams_sideline_reporter_Tony_Softli-1400884109.mp3[/av]

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are some similarities between Mo Alexander and Ray Armstrong. Both are LB/Safety tweeners. Does this mean Ray has less chance to impact the team( I know they have him as LB) ?

jjab360

Legend
There are some similarities between Mo Alexander and Ray Armstrong. Both are LB/Safety tweeners. Does this mean Ray has less chance to impact the team( I know they have him as LB) ?
If Ray Ray is at linebacker and Alexander is at safety, I don't see the overlap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always saw Armstrong as a guy that could rush the QB and drop back deep into coverage. Kind of a Sub package type tweener. With Alexander in the line up at safety there would be less need for the trickery and bringing in a hybrid LBer to fill the role that Alexander sounds like he can do.

Not knowing Fishers intention with RR maybe I am misreading how they thought they could use the Safety turned LBer.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If Ray Ray is at linebacker and Alexander is at safety, I don't see the overlap.

I agree, they are two completely different players. Just my opinion, but unless and until Armstrong matures and learns to play with some discipline, he isn't gonna be much more than a ST player. He is the epitome of a "look at me" type player, and is just too undisciplined in both assignment integrity (running around blocks) and his "style" of play to contribute on a regular basis at LB.

Alexander brings an aggressive style, but with all the inexperience in the secondary, I think he will be the prototype "developmental" guy on the back end. Potential is there, but not right away. Most likely another key ST contributor.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
X as always thank you sir! You make it easy...FWIW's I like listening to Softli some things you take with a grain of alst, however, he does usually give some breakdowns and insights and it sure beats some of the others who just want to write about "It's time for the Rams to win." Really, we know that, but how? Anyway thanks X.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X as always thank you sir! You make it easy...FWIW's I like listening to Softli some things you take with a grain of alst, however, he does usually give some breakdowns and insights and it sure beats some of the others who just want to write about "It's time for the Rams to win." Really, we know that, but how? Anyway thanks X.
You're welcome. I like Softli too, as long as he stays within his wheelhouse. He's a decent talent evaluator and has a wealth of experience in that area. There are reports that he was banging the table hard for Desean Jackson instead of Donnie Avery back in 2008, but was overruled. I don't pay much attention to him when he puts on his reporter hat, or tries to mock a draft, but he knows how to break down a player's strengths and weaknesses.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There are reports that he was banging the table hard for Desean Jackson instead of Donnie Avery back in 2008, but was overruled.

So was every Rams fan on that day, however, it was newly hired OC Al Saunders that felt Avery fit his scheme better and the Rams went that way. BTW all of us complain including yours truly about Schottenheimer, however, the Rams hired higher profile OC's like Saunders & McDaniels and they lasted one year and were disasters. Guess it helps to have the players.

Totally concur with you on Soflit his player breakdowns are on point and the fact that he did work for the Rams is a plus as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My my how things have changes in this safety unit this last month! Youth & then Youth again.

FS- Joyner(R)/McLeod/Davis/CJ Bryant(R)/J.Bryant(R)
SS- McDonald/Alexander(R)/Daniels/Cunningham(R)

FRO

Legend
I agree, they are two completely different players. Just my opinion, but unless and until Armstrong matures and learns to play with some discipline, he isn't gonna be much more than a ST player. He is the epitome of a "look at me" type player, and is just too undisciplined in both assignment integrity (running around blocks) and his "style" of play to contribute on a regular basis at LB.

Alexander brings an aggressive style, but with all the inexperience in the secondary, I think he will be the prototype "developmental" guy on the back end. Potential is there, but not right away. Most likely another key ST contributor.
Being that last year was his first at LB he defiantly does have room to grow. He has good God given toolss though. Let's hope he is the type that puts in the work and becomes more than just a special teams guy.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
i'm pretty sure on one thing we are gonna have killer STs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Pre draft
Ray Ray Armstrong: 4.69/40, 34 1/2" VJ, 7.20 3-Cone
Mo Alexander: 4.50/40, 38" VJ, 7.05 3-Cone,

Memphis Ram

Legend
Unless he makes some major strides at LB, I wonder if Ray Ray is going to make the final roster if it came down to him vs. Bates. Of course, this is coming from someone who believes that Etienne Sabino & Tavarius Wilson are going to give last year's backup LBs a run for their money this camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Unless he makes some major strides at LB, I wonder if Ray Ray is going to make the final roster if it came down to him vs. Bates. Of course, this is coming from someone who believes that Etienne Sabino & Tavarius Wilson are going to give last year's backup LBs a run for their money this camp.

Yep I agree here...this UDFA Lb'er Tavarius Wilson has a look of being special & he is more MLB than OLB'er something that this roster could use.
http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-diamonds-prospect-interview-tavarius-wilson-lb-north-alabama/
Ray Ray is not that gifted in reverse or side to side & is a little slower than most average OSLB'ers. I like Ray Ray but at the same time I wanted to slap him down on more than one occasion last season. If our safety cadre turns out loaded with high talent then I am not so sure that we will carry 6 Lb'ers on the master roster either. These LB'ers need to be vital to the ST's to make this this new roster. A LB'er who commits a lot of negatives on ST's should be gone.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Being that last year was his first at LB he defiantly does have room to grow. He has good God given toolss though. Let's hope he is the type that puts in the work and becomes more than just a special teams guy.
Not questioning his athleticism. Questioning his lack of discipline and his tendency to be a "look at me" type player. It got to the point he couldn't run down and cover a kick without jumping around and drawing attention to himself. Whether he made the play or not.

He lead the team in ST penalties. Something that can't happen again this year. He just needs to mature and show up and do his job.

FRO

Legend
Not questioning his athleticism. Questioning his lack of discipline and his tendency to be a "look at me" type player. It got to the point he couldn't run down and cover a kick without jumping around and drawing attention to himself. Whether he made the play or not.

He lead the team in ST penalties. Something that can't happen again this year. He just needs to mature and show up and do his job.
I agree. I'm hoping that he can get the aspects of the game down, because he does have good athleticism. Will he ever get it? Who knows. I think at minimum he can be a solid special teams guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was never impressed with Armstrong and when it comes to building a team, I feel that adding idiots like him is never a good idea. I don't want to see his penalties affecting games this year and doubt that he or Bates will be much different than last year.