Tom Coughlin will interview with Jaguars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now this guy is a true disciplinarian, my only concern would be his age (70)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/r...s-and-hes-no-blake-bortles-fan-180334093.html

We’ve breathlessly tracked the interest in unemployed septuagenarian former head coach Tom Coughlin in recent days — definitely by the Jacksonville Jaguars, perhaps by the Buffalo Bills and, when it’s all said and done there might even be an open spot on president-elect Donald Trump’s cabinet if Coughlin wants it. Here’s another interesting report on Saturday morning from Fox’s Jay Glazer: the Jaguars are not just paying lip service to their once maiden coach. Glazer said on his pregame report that the team will indeed interview Coughlin for Gus Bradley’s former position.
The more interesting nugget, however: Coughlin reportedly isn’t a big fan of quarterback Blake Bortles, per Glazer.

This can’t be stunning, but it is interesting in that the Jaguars might not be ready to dump Bortles yet. They have a huge decision looming on the former No. 3 overall draft pick this offseason when they must decide whether to pick up his fifth-year option. That would lock him into a contract for 2018 commensurate with the transition tag, which guarantees a salary equal to the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. Currently, that number sits in the $21 million to $22 million range but could change depending on any extensions signed between now and then around the league.

If Coughlin suggests that the team does not pick up the option, would that push him behind in the running for the position over a candidate who thinks they can revive his once-promising career? That’s unclear.

Beyond that, which quarterback might Coughlin want? The options for 2017 might be limited, via the draft, free agency or even a trade. The price to land one might be high, and there’s not a lot of clear-cut solutions who could step in — slow your roll on Tony Romo, we plead — as the kind of veteran leader Coughlin might seek.

After all, he’s turning 71 before the season and would not be hired to orchestrate a gradual rebuild. The Jaguars, who have gone 41-112 since their last playoff appearance, and team owner Shad Khan want to turn things around now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Be a good hire for the Jaguars, but if they win next week will ownership might start thinking that Doug Marrone is the answer?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Tom Coughlin used to be a true disciplinarian. Maybe half a decade ago.

T-REX

Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tom Coughlin used to be a true disciplinarian. Maybe half a decade ago.

Why so? I always saw him as a no B/S head coach.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Why so? I always saw him as a no B/S head coach.

I just felt he got soft after the second Superbowl win. He didn't do anything to correct Odell Beckham Jr's attitude as a recent example.

T-REX

Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is an article I came across in respect to the Coughlin, OBJ relationship. Shows you what type of man he is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-help-odell-beckham-jr-channel-his-emotion/

Tom Coughlin offers to help Odell Beckham Jr. channel his emotion
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2016, 6:03 AM EST
460461340.jpg
Getty Images
Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. said he’s “not having fun anymore” playing football.

So who better to fix that than the king of madcap laughs himself, Tom Coughlin.

The former Giants coach said on the “We Need to Talk” show on CBS Sports Network that he’d love to help Beckham get back on track, because he’s seen up close the kind of player the star wideout is.

“For his own good [he needs to learn to channel his passion],” Coughlin said. “And I would love to try to help him in this regard because I think so highly of him. . . . He is a distraction. If you watch a game, the camera is on him the whole time.”

Beckham’s sideline emotions have become a focal point this year, and he said he’s frustrated with the amount of attention he’s getting for his behavior.

“He really believes that he is at his best at the top of his passion,” Coughlin said. “He is so talented. I don’t think there’s anything the kid can’t do. He is a good kid. He is a team guy in the team room. It’s just when he gets on the field, there’s only one way he knows how to play.”

Finding a way to harness that fire is something the Giants are clearly working on, even if it’s not working. But Coughlin, who remains under contract to the team, would do anything he can to help.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I where Coughlin, I would call it a day, I think the game has passed him by! JMHO

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This can’t be stunning, but it is interesting in that the Jaguars might not be ready to dump Bortles yet. They have a huge decision looming on the former No. 3 overall draft pick this offseason when they must decide whether to pick up his fifth-year option. That would lock him into a contract for 2018 commensurate with the transition tag, which guarantees a salary equal to the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. Currently, that number sits in the $21 million to $22 million range but could change depending on any extensions signed between now and then around the league.

If Coughlin suggests that the team does not pick up the option, would that push him behind in the running for the position over a candidate who thinks they can revive his once-promising career? That’s unclear.

IMO that would put him in front of the line LOL. Bortles for 22MIL? Nah.

If I where Coughlin, I would call it a day, I think the game has passed him by! JMHO

Dave.........first off he is at least 30 years younger than you and none of us feel like the game has passed you by. :rolllaugh:

Second. Five seasons ago he won the SB by defeating the Patriots for the second time. Nothing seems to have passed him by. Eli Average Manning has two rings because of him.

FRO

Legend
IMO that would put him in front of the line LOL. Bortles for 22MIL? Nah.

Dave.........first off he is at least 30 years younger than you and none of us feel like the game has passed you by. :rolllaugh:

Second. Five seasons ago he won the SB by defeating the Patriots for the second time. Nothing seems to have passed him by. Eli Average Manning has two rings because of him.
Eli is a good QB, but I agree with you he isn't elite and Tom won two super bowls with him. It would be a solid move for the Jags. They have nice young talent, they just need a guy that can develop them.