Tom Brady lands on cover of Madden 18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll admit it...I dislike Tom Brady...but I respect his game....and he deserves this....and Madden is a great game.
It is....I was watching the super bowl...knowing...Tom would come back...Reminds me of our 2002 team when they play....without the turnovers and falling behind.

yeah, dammit.

During the Super Bowl, someone in my family said the game was over at half time... and I got the same feeling after Warner threw that TD with less than 2 minutes to Larry Fitzgerald. I just KNEW that it wasn't going to hold up.

The minute they said it, I just knew they were coming back... in my gut.

And when you hear him talk about playing longer, he's crazy dialed into what it's going to take.

It's very, very possible that between his quick delivery and how he trains that he will play at least 5 more years.

I can't stand the guy on principle (meaning I have them...), but I can't deny his talent, drive, desire or his ability to execute in clutch situations.

I dunno about GOAT. Marino never won a SB because he never had a defense... same with Fouts, but Marino throwing for 5k yards when QBs had a good year throwing for 3k was...otherwordly. It compares to the 50 ppg that Wilt Chamberlain put up.

But he's up there, higher than I'm willing to admit, no doubt.

and i still don't like him...

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
@Prime Time

Thanks, yeah, I recall that piece and its good to read that stuff again and stay cognizant of it, and I agree, there's plenty there that's damning. Are the Patriots guilty of cheating? I believe they are. I also think they get put under a lot more scrutiny than other teams because of this cheaters-mystique that has built up around them, so that we in the public feel particularly well-versed in their shady side. I'm not saying they don't deserve scrutiny, and I'm not saying they didn't do everything they've ever been charged with...

In truth, I don't want to put out any defense for them, as it's not what I'm passionate about, it's not why I'm here, and I truly don't feel a strong conviction about this. There's a lot darkness, and not a lot of conclusions in this debate, and I don't have much of a desire to go through any of it.

The reason I felt compelled to comment on this thread to begin with was that I just generally find extreme negative language directed at a single player to be insupportable (mainly referring to the implicit and sometimes explicit desire to see this player injured). I just get uncomfortable seeing it. In this case, we're talking about a person who is not guilty of atrocious criminal behavior (and I'm speaking of violence towards other animals or humans here).

I recognize it's a silly thing to worry about, ultimately, people wishing ill on a public figure over the internet. It happens all the time, and I'm sure nobody here would, given the power, actually harm Tom Brady. I get it. It's folks venting, and expressing their dislike through hyperbole. The right thing for me to do would have been to shrug it off as people venting, and be on my way. Instead, I saw the direction of the conversation and made the reactive decision to express poorly worded support for Brady, in case there were people feeling the same way.

And blah, and blah, and I typed a billion words about this stuff, sorry everyone.

And that's it for me. Appreciate you, and everyone taking the time to read what I say. Apologize if I come off poorly, or say shit that bothers anybody. Being smart while posting isn't my top skill, unfortunately :blah::sick:.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah, dammit.

During the Super Bowl, someone in my family said the game was over at half time... and I got the same feeling after Warner threw that TD with less than 2 minutes to Larry Fitzgerald. I just KNEW that it wasn't going to hold up.

The minute they said it, I just knew they were coming back... in my gut.

And when you hear him talk about playing longer, he's crazy dialed into what it's going to take.

It's very, very possible that between his quick delivery and how he trains that he will play at least 5 more years.

I can't stand the guy on principle (meaning I have them...), but I can't deny his talent, drive, desire or his ability to execute in clutch situations.

I dunno about GOAT. Marino never won a SB because he never had a defense... same with Fouts, but Marino throwing for 5k yards when QBs had a good year throwing for 3k was...otherwordly. It compares to the 50 ppg that Wilt Chamberlain put up.

But he's up there, higher than I'm willing to admit, no doubt.

and i still don't like him...

I'm not buying him playing until he's 45. You can't escape age. No QB ever has. Favre looked like the best QB in the NFL, and the next year he looked like the worst. It happened seemingly overnight. Same with Manning. Brady's age will catch up with him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if Brady isn't MVP and the Patriots don't go 19-0 the curse is real?

Hopefully it means the patriots will be found out again in their cheating ways because we all know they are one way or another. They're always 5 years ahead of the nfl with their cheating process.

Pretty much like how the usa is ahead of wada with the drugs they inject into their athletes before an Olympics game. Case in point - flo jo vs Ben Johnson.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Deserved cover athlete IMO. That SB comeback was amazing and beautiful to watch.

All Brady 'Haters' there are far worse people out there to despise.

I'm looking forward to seeing Cooper Kupp on the cover next year...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm not buying him playing until he's 45. You can't escape age. No QB ever has. Favre looked like the best QB in the NFL, and the next year he looked like the worst. It happened seemingly overnight. Same with Manning. Brady's age will catch up with him.

Well, both Favre and Manning toward the end took some heavy hits.

Brady taking a big hit is almost breaking news.

That said, you're right... high level QBs tend to fall off precipitously, not just slowly deteriorate.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't mean to assert that there is a boiling demonic hate raging inside of anyone here

I just figured out who I really and venomously hate: the low-life, scum-sucking vermin who scam-call me every freaking day. :mad: And oh yeah, the bastard who was on my bumper for 5 miles yesterday at 70 mph. He finally passed me and...

dumbass.gif

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/sports/football/new-england-patriots-super-bowl-cheating.html

Why Do Fans Excuse the Patriots’ Cheating Past?
Sports of The Times/
FEB. 5, 2017
By JULIET MACUR

05MACUR1-superJumbo.jpg

Photographs by Getty Images and Associated Press

BOSTON — In a psychological experiment, researchers separated people into two groups and offered some of them an option: Complete a fun, 10-minute task, or take on a difficult, 45-minute one. Placed in a room alone, they were told to choose which task they would have to do, or let a coin flip decide. Either way, the person entering the room next would be left with the other task.

Afterward, those people were asked to rate how fairly they had acted, and 90 percent said they had been fair. Except that they were lying. In fact, they had picked the easy task for themselves, without even flipping the coin, wrongly believing that no one was watching.

Keep this study in mind on Sunday when that grand psychological riddle known as the New England Patriots tries to win yet another Super Bowl. In New England, you see, the Patriots’ coach, Bill Belichick, is a mastermind, quarterback Tom Brady is superhuman and the entire organization is viewed as a model of professional football perfection.

Outside New England, there’s far more skepticism. The Patriots are considered unrepentant cheaters, caught (and punished) more than once for their football crimes. Yet they keep winning, with a roster full of retreads and spare parts. Could they be skirting the rules even today, in new or undetected ways? Many football fans — nearly all of them outside New England — would not be surprised.

05MACUR2-superJumbo.jpg

Credit Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

David DeSteno has a special vantage point for observing public response to the Patriots. He is a professor of psychology in Patriots country, at Northeastern University, in Boston, and he was a co-author of the study mentioned above.

DeSteno is not a football fan, but he is an expert on the psychology of emotion, hypocrisy and moral judgment. He said you can’t really blame the Patriots faithful for believing their team can do no wrong, and has done no wrong, even though it was twice caught cheating by the N.F.L.

So the pre-Super Bowl chatter marches on, focusing on Belichick’s genius, even though he was fined a half-million dollars for videotaping opposing coaches in 2007, or Brady’s brilliance, even though he was suspended for the first four games of the season after being accused of using deflated footballs.

To the Patriots and their fans, ignoring the negatives is just a way to protect the team and the legitimacy of their sport, DeSteno said, adding that in doing so, the Patriots and their supporters are not unlike any other group and its followers.

“It’s not about the true facts, or about how honest you believe a group is, or what the group’s past behavior is,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what sport it is, or what team it is, or even if it’s sports at all. Just being a part of a group, any group, is enough to excuse moral transgressions because in some way, you’re benefiting from it. Your moral compass shifts.”

DeSteno and his former student Piercarlo Valdesolo conducted studies that showed that even strangers placed into groups quickly start favoring the people in their group, as they would favor themselves, even if that group was created randomly, and only minutes earlier. Morality, as it turns out, can change by the second, and for no good reason.

It’s not even a conscious decision, DeSteno said. It’s an innate survival reaction.

It even showed up in the coin-flip experiment. Before it started, the initial group had been divided using different color wristbands, effectively separating participants into teams, and then some were told to watch on a hidden camera as the coin flippers cheated.

When the observers saw people cheat, they considered it unfair and wrong — unless they saw that the cheater was wearing the same color wristband as they were. In those cases, they were much more likely to excuse the behavior.

“What’s interesting to me is that smart people can see the same events, but can have such different views of an act that’s otherwise objective, like videotaping another team when it’s illegal,” DeSteno said. “Some people could see that and say it’s terrible. Others could say it’s not cheating because everyone’s doing it. Both groups of people would believe what their mind is telling them to believe.”

The closer you feel affiliated with a group, DeSteno said, the more moral leniency you are willing to allow. So imagine that you have grown up a Patriots fan, watching their games with your family every Sunday. Your friends and neighbors follow the team just as devotedly, and even your children can recite the names and jersey numbers of the top Patriots players.

With an allegiance like that, built over years and years of fandom, the Patriots could basically be caught with 22 players on the field and have their fans justify it, somehow, someway.

For Alisha Karkera, who was a junior at Northeastern last year before transferring to the University of Texas at Dallas, it still doesn’t make sense.

Last fall, she interviewed DeSteno for a question-and-answer piece titled, “Why Does Patriots Nation Trust Tom Brady When No One Else Does?” She wanted to explain how Patriots fans could have tunnel vision when it came to their beloved team, even after an N.F.L. investigation had caught it using deflated footballs. She had seen that fervent team loyalty in person.

Her father, Sharad, is a longtime Patriots fan, a proud owner of a Patriots championship jacket. He was sure Brady had nothing to do with deflating those footballs, Alisha Karkera said.

“‘I’m glad you got published, but, hmm, I don’t know if I agree with what you wrote,’” she recalled her father saying when she showed him her Q. and A. “But I told him: ‘The facts are right there. Why don’t you believe them?’ I now know that he just sees those facts differently.”

If her father accepted that the Patriots had cheated, Karkera realized, it would mean accepting an uncomfortable conclusion about his own ethics — that he supports a team that cheats.

Yet she is still amazed by the power of sports to affect the way people think. “I don’t want to say anything rude,” she said, “but football, it’s like a cult.”

Brady’s father, also named Tom, spoke to a San Francisco television station last week and decried how the N.F.L. had punished his son with a suspension for deflating footballs, when it had no direct evidence against him.

He called the ban a witch hunt and said he would be thrilled to see his son win the Super Bowl, even if that meant his son might receive the Lombardi Trophy from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“Somebody that has Roger Goodell’s ethics doesn’t belong on any stage that Tom Brady is on,” Tom Brady Sr. said.

There’s absolutely no criticizing a father defending his child. Just as there is no persuading fans if they believe their beloved team is in the right. But like it or not — and science, psychology and experiments aside — we do know that love can be blind.

Being on the outside of that can take some getting used to. But it might be comforting to know that these people just can’t help it.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I guess I'm the only one who was more interested in the story mode they teased at the end there...

Naw man, I'm all in on that sh--. There's gonna be a 5'11" skinny white quarterback from UCSB that blows teams away... "Everyone doubted him... until he was throwing for 550 yards and 8 touchdowns per game...then they still doubted him because he was just like, because it was just a better story that way, okay? And nobody was on his side. But he fought for everything he ever got. And he wound up on top. (Coming this Summer to a livingroom near you)"

bluecoconuts

Legend
Naw man, I'm all in on that sh--. There's gonna be a 5'11" skinny white quarterback from UCSB that blows teams away... "Everyone doubted him... until he was throwing for 550 yards and 8 touchdowns per game...then they still doubted him because he was just like, because it was just a better story that way, okay? And nobody was on his side. But he fought for everything he ever got. And he wound up on top. (Coming this Summer to a livingroom near you)"

Yeah, but the story of the plucky Irishman who grew up playing hockey and then after high school took an 8 year gap in the military before becoming a walk-on star at UCLA and quickly ascended to the top of the NFL will dominate the news. Even more amazing as he already set records in the MLB as he led the Dodgers to the World Series his rookie year so they might have time to focus on that UCSB QB. :sneaky:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/864826656845963265

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ncussion-last-year-has-had-other-concussions/

Tom Brady’s wife: He had a concussion last year, has had other concussions
Posted by Mike Florio on May 17, 2017

675714358-e1495029723902.jpg
Getty Images

Officially, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has never had a concussion. Unofficially, it appears that he has.

Brady’s wife, Gisele Bundchen, appeared on CBS This Morning and had this to say to Charlie Rose regarding whether she wants her husband to retire from football.

“I just have to say, as a wife, I’m a little bit — as you know, it’s not the most — let’s say [it’s] an aggressive sport. Football, like he had a concussion last year,” she said. “I mean, he has concussions, pretty much, I mean, we don’t talk about [it] but he does have concussions.

I don’t think it’s a healthy thing for your body to go through like — you know, to that kind of aggression all the time. That cannot be healthy for you, right? I mean I plan on having him be healthy and do a lot of fun things when we’re like 100, I hope."

(It's possible she's the one who had the concussions).

If he had a concussion last year, he apparently hid it from the teams and any/all doctors and/or athletic trainers responsible for spotting concussions and keeping concussed players out of action until they have recovered.

While the knee-jerk reaction will be to claim that the Patriots lied on the injury report, the truth very well may be that the team didn’t know and the doctors didn’t know and the athletic trainers didn’t know — and that Brady successfully hid the symptoms to allow himself to continue to play.

The Patriots have not immediately responded to a request for comment. If they ever do comment, they’ll likely say they have no knowledge of any concussion that Brady ever suffered. The real question will be whether Brady has had concussions and what he has done to hide them, or whether his wife is simply misinformed or making bad assumptions.

Either way, the issue presents a complication for Brady that he’ll need to fully and completely address, sooner than later.
-------------
If you’re doing all sorts of shady things a short memory is a good thing. He’s probably already forgotten why he destroyed his phone. I know the Pats fans have.
-------------
How can that be? The Refs don’t let anyone hit him.
-------------
Just because Tom doesn’t remember cheating, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/19/tom-brady-gets-an-aston-martin-deal/

Tom Brady gets an Aston Martin deal
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2017

w1200_h678_fmax1-e1495201680294.jpg
Getty Images

Few manufacturers of really expensive cars spend much money on advertising because most consumers can’t afford or won’t buy really expensive cars. Aston Martin has decided to buck that trend.

Via SportsBusiness Daily, the British company has announced a long-term partnership with Tom Brady, who will “curate” his own version of the Aston Martin Vanquish S.

“As a long-time fan and driver I am honored to join the Aston Martin team at this special moment in the company’s history,” Brady said in a statement.

“We’re looking for partnerships that make the brand resonate and to make sure people know who we are,” Laura Schwab of Aston Martin told ESPN.com. “Tom and Aston Martin are similarly aligned in their path to excellence.”

The path to excellence includes fewer than 1,000 cars sold in the U.S. every year, and the model Brady will be selling starts at $211,995.

At that price, the tires should never become deflated. Yeah I said it.