Todd had 52 yards after contact!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
...against the 49ers. He literally had more YAC than total rushing yards (47)! That O-line better get their crap together and the passing game needs to actually exists this weekend. Gurley can't be asked to do that for 16 games.

Bruce2980

Starter
Gurley had a .2 yard average before contact, so he literally had to fight for every yard. Thanks O line, QB, TE # 89, HC and OC.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That O-line better get their crap together
No way in hell can they block a stacked box effectively....Every 9er was looking to blow up Gurley....Every DB was looking to blow up the short out routes...You've gotta to be a lil deceptive early in the game...You can't just expect them to dominate on the ground, week 1, drives 1,2,3, and 4 with basic, vanilla type preseason plays.....

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Don't think our 5 guys can block their 9 every play you have to loosen up the defense and throw the damn ball more than 3 yards.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't think our 5 guys can block their 9 every play you have to loosen up the defense and throw the damn ball more than 3 yards.

Agreed, it's a team effort. Until defenses actually feel like we can burn them for gunning for Gurley, it's going to be the same story.

In regards to the O-line, I hope Wichmann starts over Brown this week. Brown was getting mauled out there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No way in hell can they block a stacked box effectively....Every 9er was looking to blow up Gurley....Every DB was looking to blow up the short out routes...You've gotta to be a lil deceptive early in the game...You can't just expect them to dominate on the ground, week 1, drives 1,2,3, and 4 with basic, vanilla type preseason plays.....
Don't forget, it appeared, at least to me, that the Ref's where trying to "Blow-out Gurrley too!, and they succeeded in Blowing out Donald!!"

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't forget, it appeared, at least to me, that the Ref's where trying to "Blow-out Gurrley too!, and they succeeded in Blowing out Donald!!"
Those were our team captains...frustrated....losing it....on MNF....Not the refs....It was either the teams play...or the coaching....or probably a lil of both....dudes are used to winning...and if the reports are correct, I'd guess they're leading the charge to throw Goff in there....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The newly Boudreau reconstructed 2016 Ram OL with last minute changes made right before the first regular season game......... might want to consider reforming to the same lineup that they ran for the four pre season games.

Running into 11 defenders who have been advise to forget about the pass...... is going to be nearly impossible to be effective @ making holes for Gurley. Until the QB & pass catching abilities of our receivers develop hands ....I would not expect any improvements in this offense.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
That should impressively ease any concerns anyone had on Gurley. Dude's a beast. What a stat...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't the OL. For whatever reason the 9ers were all over the Rams' scheme and you just cannot survive in the NFL if the defenses know what you're going to do. Our OL is fine, they're just not to the level yet where you can tell defenders we're running right at them, now stop it.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
It wasn't the OL. For whatever reason the 9ers were all over the Rams' scheme and you just cannot survive in the NFL if the defenses know what you're going to do. Our OL is fine, they're just not to the level yet where you can tell defenders we're running right at them, now stop it.

"for whatever reason"??
We have ran the same BS for 3 years, everyone knows what our offensive game plan is and they also know that during the game we won't change no matter how bad it is going.

Bruce2980

Starter
"for whatever reason"??
We have ran the same BS for 3 years, everyone knows what our offensive game plan is and they also know that during the game we won't change no matter how bad it is going.
And now they know that Keenum can't or won't throw beyond the line of scrimmage. They even know the snap count, can't change that in the course of the game either. And the O line played like crap. All four sacks came from the right side of the line, missed run blocks made by that side too, it was a pathetic O line performance.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And now they know that Keenum can't or won't throw beyond the line of scrimmage. They even know the snap count, can't change that in the course of the game either. And the O line played like crap. All four sacks came from the right side of the line, missed run blocks made by that side too, it was a pathetic O line performance.

^ this.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
...against the 49ers. He literally had more YAC than total rushing yards (47)! That O-line better get their crap together and the passing game needs to actually exists this weekend. Gurley can't be asked to do that for 16 games.

Unfortunately this is what I predicted before this season - as you'll see if you check my post history. Its not all offensive line; its philosophy, play calling, predictability of how our plays are drawn up, the lack of a QB with an arm that scares a defense, receivers who are just not good enough and a head coach who can't figure all this out. We can't run Gurley into a brick wall all day every day for 16 games I don't care how good he is. His career will be wasted. We must start going deep early and often - stretch the defense out and open up the run for Gurley. Otherwise we might as well play Benny Cunnigham until they're tired.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Play action deep passes on first second and third down even if all of them are incomplete will get a DC's attention straight away. That's what I would do if I was the OC and the box was stacked several times in a row. I'd march the O out there and say bombs away. They would get out of that box then.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Agreed, it's a team effort. Until defenses actually feel like we can burn them for gunning for Gurley, it's going to be the same story.

In regards to the O-line, I hope Wichmann starts over Brown this week. Brown was getting mauled out there.

Another example of Snisher being overly prideful and not starting the better lineman by admitting the lower draft pick is the better player at this point.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Unfortunately this is what I predicted before this season - as you'll see if you check my post history. Its not all offensive line; its philosophy, play calling, predictability of how our plays are drawn up, the lack of a QB with an arm that scares a defense, receivers who are just not good enough and a head coach who can't figure all this out. We can't run Gurley into a brick wall all day every day for 16 games I don't care how good he is. His career will be wasted. We must start going deep early and often - stretch the defense out and open up the run for Gurley. Otherwise we might as well play Benny Cunnigham until they're tired.

This makes sense. In an ideal world your opponent only has a coin-flip chance of knowing what you are going to do next. The most frustrating play against SF was I believe when the Rams had gotten to about the SF 27 yard line 1st and 10. I was yelling for a play action pass into the end zone but they handed off to Gurley predictably and he got 1 yard.

I'm expecting a more reasonable performance against Seattle but methinks the defense will need to score a TD for us to have a chance.