Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
Yes one of his better days but his best came when used in the passing game. Still the burst that we saw back @ UG & early 2015 is MIA. Never the less I am happy with his Sunday's performance we may have seen his best of 2017.

He's putting them together now Bonifay.... gimme an update.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
My favorite Gurley play of the night was the final run for a first down that iced it. Dude is a baller among ballers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just an FYI. Anyone who said Gurley doesn't have the same 'burst' or dominance or whatever, *didn't* say he couldn't get it back. It was just an opinion based on about 20 games of observation. There is no crow to be had because there was no disputing that he was, indeed, struggling last year and the first couple of weeks this year.

Glad he appears to be back in form!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As awesome as Gurley was... and he was... he seemed to be running harder.

Running harder implies higher degree of effort. That shouldn't change from week to week.

So, I hope that wasn't the case.

Instead I could counter that concern with the observation he wasn't hit early in his runs and was able to get momentum. That would give the appearance of more effort because he could finish his runs.

I'm going with the latter.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just an FYI. Anyone who said Gurley doesn't have the same 'burst' or dominance or whatever, *didn't* say he couldn't get it back. It was just an opinion based on about 20 games of observation. There is no crow to be had because there was no disputing that he was, indeed, struggling last year and the first couple of weeks this year.

QFT.

It is pretty obvious from watching this season that Gurley has more room and ability to do what he does best which is use his burst. He simply doesn't have the means to bull through people when he's having to avoid them as soon as he gets the ball. I do honestly think he just gave up last season. And I don't blame him. He was obviously done with his coaching staff by December last year.

But McVay has utilized the ENTIRE field of play with his offense and using every position so defenses finally can't tee off on Gurley. Something all of us were clamoring for last season. Also, using Gurley in the passing game was a no brainer that some how could never be utilized in the past. He is currently averaging 24 more yards a game in the receiving game.

It feels good to have someone calling and designing plays that has a clue about wtf they are doing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excuse me...I just stumbled in...what is this thread about? :thinking:
My post was the fact that Gurley had not displayed the great burst that I watched when he was @ UG or the first half of 2015 season.

He's putting them together now Bonifay.... gimme an update.
You got it!(y)

IMO It appears Gurley read my post & shut me down in last nights game:D. I was very pleased with Gurley performance last night. I could not asked anything more. I did see some of that burst several times & so glad he has decided to get back to what he was.

What was even more impressive was the fact that he has shown that he is a complete 3 down back as I suggested earlier offering Goff excellent pass protection, plus no one can question his conditioning any longer.:bow: Gurley is just one tough SOB!

His replacement TA came helped out with a few runs but as usual when given Gurley type responsibilities TA was knocked out of the game into the locker room.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend

i was trying to figure out how to say this, thanks
train

jap

Legend
We have plenty of days to rest and recharge for the Cowboys. Hopefully, this gives the SonOfBum enough time to make scheme adjustments to stop the bleeding from opposing RBs. Beating the 'Boys will give the critics pause, yes, but more importantly it will serve to give this young team confidence that they can hang with the better teams. Let's close out the first quarter of this season 3-1!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep, Gurley making my comments look bad. He still isn't a sideways cutting back that creates his own lanes but give him some room and he runs hard through tackles.

jap

Legend
Time for the assault on the 1500 yard mark! Every week, every play will be pick your own poison for defensive opponents. Wanna try & shut down the RAMpaging Express!? Jared is learning to become a master surgeon of NFL secondaries. Are you willing to flood the secondary with DBs to stifle our air game? Let's see how much those DBs love facing the Gurley Man with a full head of steam & fire blowing from both nostrils!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Guuuurley has = ROD$$$$ for me each week so far! I'm am hoping he has his Best game EVER in the up-coming game against the Cowpie's!
I want to embarrass the Cowpie's in there House!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gurley sorta reminds me of one of my great rugged old Suzuki 2 stroke dirt bikes back in the early 70's.......the more I ran it, the more I pushed it, the higher I rev'd it, the hotter it would get & the longer I continued ride it ...........the better it ran!

Todd Gurley may be more than I ever thought possible he show'd us that he gets better as the game wears on just keep revving him up & let him run wild.Treating him like a fancy pretty play toy who might break down & needs lots of rest may be the worse thing to do to him.

Last edited: