Todd Gurley trade for David Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My ONLY concern with Gurley is staying healthy so he can shatter records for the Rams.

That's the concern with every RB in the NFL honestly. As for the trade no thank you very much have a nice day enjoy your RB AZ.

Cardncub

Rookie
So my son is a Cardinals fan (it started when Kurt Warner played there) and today I asked him if he would trade straight across Todd Gurley for David Johnson. He thought about it for a bit and said no. He thinks David Johnson is better than Gurley in the system that Arizona runs, namely, a lot of screen passes to the RBs.

Now my son, 19 years old is normally pretty darn intelligent (except regarding this hypothetical trade). I told him he's crazy, that Gurley is a LOT better than Johnson. Still, he said he wouldn't do that trade if it was his decision.

So, I'm asking all of you, what "stats" or "common sense" reasoning would you tell my son to help him understand the obvious, that Gurley is insanely talented and it would be a steal if AZ had the opportunity to trade Johnson for Gurley straight across? What words would you use to make him understand the error of his ways, haha!

You have a very smart son BriansRams. :)

Cardncub

Rookie
You're obviously a Cardinals fan so I'm going to ask you straight up: Do you believe David Johnson is a better running back than Gurley?

I think it's too early to tell. DJ only started 5 games last year & TG didn't start from the beginning either. I think we will know more after this season. Rams are more run based & the Cards more pass oriented. DJ's cleats are in the HOF already so there's that.

Cardncub

Rookie
No way I would even consider that trade. Even if the Cards threw in two 1sts. Todd is on a completely different level and any doubters will see that this year. David Johnson is a good player but it's not even close between him and our boy Gurley.

Now this is just a ridiculous statement.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I think it's too early to tell. DJ only started 5 games last year & TG didn't start from the beginning either. I think we will know more after this season. Rams are more run based & the Cards more pass oriented. DJ's cleats are in the HOF already so there's that.

So are Gurley's, and for a much more complete body of work. Gurley also wore a knee brace all year, so there's that.

Cardncub

Rookie
From CGI's other post.

Johnson, like Gurley, busted out with a string of huge performances. His just came later in the year, once injuries had knocked out Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington. After receiving only 17.7 percent of the Cardinals' carries through 12 weeks, Johnson toted it 90.1 percent of the time in Arizona's final five games. He took his 90 carries for 442 yards and four scores, tacking on 17 catches for 216 yards and a touchdown for good measure. And that was all after he'd proved himself an explosive playmaker over the first half of the season, scoring once every 7.7 offensive touches and averaging 27.3 yards per kick return.

Johnson's expected to be the primary back for Arizona this season, and he should run over, around, and through NFL defenses on the way to a monster year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think when people think of johnson they remember his huge game against the eagles. they had already given up and their attempted tackles were laughable. the other games give a better indication of where he is. he was good, wouldn't call him great yet.

all will be revealed this season when defenses gear up for him and how he performs against that.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cardncub

Rookie
No, it's not.
Ask any unbiased knowledgeable football person & they would agree 100%. You are a homer as am I but this is a no brainer. Two 1st round picks would get anyone on the Rams. Only exception would be maybe Donald.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
From CGI's other post.

Johnson, like Gurley, busted out with a string of huge performances. His just came later in the year, once injuries had knocked out Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington. After receiving only 17.7 percent of the Cardinals' carries through 12 weeks, Johnson toted it 90.1 percent of the time in Arizona's final five games. He took his 90 carries for 442 yards and four scores, tacking on 17 catches for 216 yards and a touchdown for good measure.

Gurley, in his first FOUR starts, had 88 carries, 566 yards, 6.43 YPC, 3 TDs, 141.5 rushing YPG, 9 receptions, and 63 receiving yards. That's WAY better than what DJ did and Gurley did it on a crap team with no passing game while wearing a knee brace. Gurley is better than Johnson and it's not even close.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ask any unbiased knowledgeable football person & they would agree 100%. You are a homer as am I but this is a no brainer. Two 1st round picks would get anyone on the Rams. Only exception would be maybe Donald.

If the person is actually knowledgeable, they would not agree. The Cardinals are a playoff caliber team. Todd Gurley is potentially an elite HB. He has Adrian Peterson type potential. You don't trade a 21 year old potentially elite player for two likely late first round picks and a good HB. Elite NFL players are rare. Two first round picks would not get you J.J. Watt, Aaron Donald, Luke Kuechly, etc. A first round pick gives you a 40% to 50% chance of selecting a quality NFL starter. Why would I take two of those chances of selecting a quality NFL starter when I have a potentially elite one? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If Todd Gurley were any other HB, I would happily make that trade. But I'm not trading a guy who showed what he did as a rookie. I'm keeping him.

And the exception would be maybe Donald? HA! You're not getting Donald, Quinn, Goff, or Gurley for two first round picks.(unless Quinn's back issues are worse than let on)

DVontel

Rookie
And the exception would be maybe Donald? HA! You're not getting Donald, Quinn, Goff, or Gurley for two first round picks.(unless Quinn's back issues are worse than let on)
I must say, I do admire you for including the guy that hasn't played an NFL down, yet.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must say, I do admire you for including the guy that hasn't played an NFL down, yet.

Are you seriously saying that if a team offered the Rams 2 1sts they would trade away goff? C'mon man.