Todd Gurley takes aim at Offensive Rookie of Year award

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where Todd Gurley could go in his second season
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ere-todd-gurley-could-go-in-his-second-season

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Eric Litster @elitster
@nwagoner how is Gurley's knee? Will the knee be even better next year?Does he feel he can be even better another year removed from surgery?

@nwagoner: I spoke to Todd Gurley on Friday morning and my No. 1 takeaway was how excited he was to have a full offseason of workouts that has nothing to do with rehabbing a torn ACL. He didn't get to do that last year. His plan is to workout at Exos in the Los Angeles area until the Rams begin their offseason program. He has no limitations and the foot injury that plagued him at the end of the year is also a thing of the past. He believes he'll be that much better in his second season with a full offseason to work out and prepare for the NFL grind. I know Rams coach Jeff Fisher and others in the organization agree with that line of thinking and it's been said many times that a player is better when he's another year removed from such an injury.

I think Gurley has a chance to take his game up a notch in his second season. He can shed that knee brace once and for all (he put it back on after banging it in the Detroit game) and we can see him at full speed. Add an offensive line that should be better and, if the Rams can somehow figure out how to have a decent passing attack, Gurley should be in the mix for a rushing crown in 2016 if he can stay healthy.

Eric W @biggs_73
@nwagoner This past yr Tre seemed incapable of handling the rb load if gurley went down. Can you envision us drafting another rb?

@nwagoner: To say it was a rough second season for Tre Mason would be putting it politely. He had injury issues before the season which kept him from taking advantage of the opportunities to perform while Gurley was still recovering from the knee injury. When he came back, Gurley had stepped into the starting role full time and was having so much success that carries were few and far between. When Mason did get in, he was mostly ineffective and had trouble with ball security. He only averaged 2.76 yards per carry and scored just one touchdown on 295 attempts. He also missed the bus to the airport before the Baltimore game and was deactivated because of it. There are those in the building who have soured on Mason and it's fair to wonder where he fits moving forward. That's especially true with Gurley becoming the focal point and Benny Cunningham clearly established as the third-down option. So no, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams considered drafting another running back or at least taking a long look at Malcolm Brown to have a larger role next year.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Los Angeles Rams RB Todd Gurley joins ‘NFL Now Super Bowl Live’ to talk about the Rams new city in L.A. and how he compares to a Rams great in RB Eric Dickerson.

Watch Gurley Interview