Todd Gurley Stats after 3 games 2018 & 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Total touches and impact are obviously down after 3 games in 2019. 73 minus 48 = 25 less touches

This was McVay's plan and it will be interesting to see how much coach feeds Todd over the next 3 games. :foot

Todd GURLEY 2019 Total 3 games (TOTAL TOUCHES 48)
ATT 44,
YDS 203, AVG 4.6, TD 1
REC 4,-- YDS__ 8,. AVG 2.0, TD 0

2019 WK1] ATT 14, YDS 97, AVG 6.9, TD 0, REC 1, YDS 4, AVG 4.0, TD 0
2019 WK2] ATT 16, YDS 63, AVG 3.9, TD 1, REC 3, YDS 4, AVG 1.3, TD 0
2019 WK3] ATT 14, YDS 43, AVG 3.0, TD 0, REC 0, YDS 0, AVG 0.0, TD 0

Todd GURLEY 2018 Total 3 games (TOTAL TOUCHES 73)
ATT. 62,
YDS 255, AVG. 4.1,. TD 4
REC 11,. YDS 121, AVG 11.0, TD 1

2018 WK1] ATT 20, YDS 108, AVG 5.4, TD 0, REC 3, YDS 39, AVG 13.0, TD 1
2018 WK2] ATT 19, YDS_ 42, AVG 2.2, TD 3, REC 3, YDS 31, AVG 10.3, TD 0
2018 WK3] ATT 23, YDS 105, AVG 4.5, TD 1, REC 5, YDS 51, AVG 10.2, TD 0

addon.php

TexasRam

Legend
If i was Todd I would say “Nah i’m good, but Holla when you got that Oline fixed”.

Then i’d whisper under my breath “middle school talent”.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We are missing him a lot in the receiving game. That's the stark contrast to me.

We knew he'd get less touches and I'm fine with it. Malcolm Brown has been a fine running back for a very long time.

I'm concerned about the routes we are seeing used. He's always on a flair or a short checkdown.

We aren't seeing the plays like against Dallas a few years ago where he is running a skinny post up the seam.

I believe Todd is 100% ready to go.

I believe that Sean Mcvay is truly trying to grow as a coach. He has mentioned feeling the flow of the game multiple times.

After hearing him say that I was reminded of the phrase 'ebb and flow'.

Mcvay is a tremendous teacher/coach. There is ebb and flow in everything.

Ram65

Legend
We are missing him a lot in the receiving game. That's the stark contrast to me.

First thing I noticed.

I'm concerned about the routes we are seeing used. He's always on a flair or a short checkdown.

We aren't seeing the plays like against Dallas a few years ago where he is running a skinny post up the seam.

We didn't see many passes like that IIRC. We did see more successful screen passes that take good timing with the line. I think they tried some with little success. I have wanted to see more passes with Gurley on the move and not just sitting in space. Hopefully, the screen passes come around and TG gets involved more in both parts of the offense.

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
You have to wonder if they'll do something exotic, like a two-back (Brown and Gurley) set to start beating the 6-1 alignment. I know that Brown is equipped to run inside. I'm not so sure Todd is.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
You have to wonder if they'll do something exotic, like a two-back (Brown and Gurley) set to start beating the 6-1 alignment. I know that Brown is equipped to run inside. I'm not so sure Todd is.

I can see running a 21 personnel set with Gurley and Brown/Henderson on the field would make for a dynamic offense with one of the RBs switching to the halfback and WR post.

I just want to see our playbook go beyond 3 and 4 receiver sets to keep defenses honest.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So he has a better ypc this season. Who would've thought?

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
To be fair the whole offence hasn't been electric.
Well, apart from Kupp who has made up for lost time.
See what shape we are in after...say...6 games. And then see what numbers Gurley is pulling in.

There's still a lot of specultion surrounding Gurley. I'm prepared to ride it out and see what happens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The team definitely has a touch count for him of ~15. We were discussing that after two games and now after three it seems there is a clear trend. So in a way I think McVay and the offense at large are weaning themselves off him.

Offensively they're gonna have to adjust by integrating the other players just like they did last year with Kupp out. Also it will probably affect what defenses do, they might not be so ready to bite on play action for certain down/distances for example when their stats show very unlikely to see a TG run.

But all that aside he's not exactly maximized the snaps he's gotten. I do think fewer snaps means he's not in the zone as much, which sucks. But I also think he's gotta play better. He left a lot of yards on the field vs the Browns plain and simple.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gurley's utilization in the passing game 2018 vs 2019:
2018- 11 catches @ 121 yds vs 2019- 4 catches @ 8 yds.:confused:

I was under the impression that a RB with the skills & talents of Darrell Henderson was drafted, so he could be used in the passing offense? None of our RB's have been much help in the offense as a pass receiver.

dang

Legend
All part of the master plan to keep Gurley healthy for the entire season. I am curious about the lack of receptions and receiving yards though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The attitude, speed, power and explosiveness here. It's been awhile.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXH0qmdun8I

I believe that we might see flashes of those big plays of what he was in the past but it will be rare siting. Man was fun to watch though. Thank You, Todd!

There was a serious BIG reason that a UDFA FA RB Malcolm Brown was given a sizable pay increase contract 2019/2020.

In addition, Snead having to utilizing a highly prized 2nd day draft selection for a RB Darrell Henderson who was the 6th fasted 40 time ( 4.49 seconds) in the 2019 draft & demonstrating big play ability. I would not be surprised if we see the same again from Snead where he will draft another RB high in the 2020 draft.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All part of the master plan to keep Gurley healthy for the entire season. I am curious about the lack of receptions and receiving yards though.
Rest & a Reduction of heavy utilization during games will help some but the "Father Time" element for NFL RB's (that can not be stopped) is busy working faster against Gurley's left knee & his a positive mindset.

2019 Average RB career length in the NFL is 2.57 yrs

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Gurley's utilization in the passing game 2018 vs 2019:
2018- 11 catches @ 121 yds vs 2019- 4 catches @ 8 yds.:confused:

I was under the impression that a RB with the skills & talents of Darrell Henderson was drafted, so he could be used in the passing offense? None of our RB's have been much help in the offense as a pass receiver.

I put that on goff. Hes been missing reads this year looking for the big yardage. Things will open up for our RBS when he starts seeing fhem

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I put that on goff. Hes been missing reads this year looking for the big yardage. Things will open up for our RBS when he starts seeing fhem
and if he continues to NOT see them????

Yes he has missed many elements of his game thus far. I know were 3-0...........barely. This below article on Goff says just about everything I think about Goff.

Goff’s Been Off
Despite the 3-0 record, it’s been a lackluster start to Year Four for the Rams signal-caller. By any measure, he’s underachieved relative to his standard and that of Pro Bowl quarterbacks. His touchdown rate and yards per attempt are down, his interception rate is up, and he’s fumbled three times.

Does he need better offensive line play? Yes.

Is life easier in the calm of the Coliseum than the din of the Dawg Pound? No question.

Could he benefit from a more run-heavy game plan? Perhaps.

But while there are certainly things everyone can do to help Goff achieve in the way we’ve become accustomed to, I’d assert that it’s time for Jared to elevate the play of the other 10 Rams around him. That’s what franchise quarterbacks do.
The Rams offense has been imperfect in three wins to date. It’s incumbent on their most important player to start concealing those blemishes.

Last edited:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
He's also had trouble hanging on to the ball when Goff has gone to him. Don't know if it's because he's being thrown to so little, or if it's something else.