Todd Gurley on 'Undisputed'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The media can't help themselves but talk about the Cowboys...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love TG. I think he's a class kid and a great player who's gonna rebound. But he needs to STFU, quit doing commercials and interviews and all that BS, and focus on the offense and his play on the field. Focus in on what matters Todd, because this game will pass you by so damn fast you'll be a distant memory before you know it, just another player who flamed out like a one hit wonder from the 80s.

I want to see TG wear a gold jacket some day. Not all up in the press. Quit with that IMO.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Skip is the official reason the boys are the "teams that ukram hates" list

I like how Todd dealt with the Kline question skip was hoping he would throw out online under the bus

The endorsements will dry up Todd of you ah e another season like this year so listen to uncle @Merlin too kid

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-nightmare-i-dont-want-to-experience-again/

Todd Gurley: 2016 a “nightmare” I don’t want to experience again
Posted by Josh Alper on January 24, 2017

ap_16234061761655-e1472097830934.jpg
AP

Shortly before the Rams fired Jeff Fisher as their head coach, running back Todd Gurley shared his feeling that the team was running a middle school offense and that some players on the team were just going through the motions as a losing season ran its course.

While Gurley’s comments about the offense would seem to be directed at the people in charge of installing it and calling the plays, he said on The Rich Eisen Show Tuesday that his frustration was with the players. There were “too many mental errors from everybody, including myself.”

It’s not anything that Gurley wants to experience again.

“Like a nightmare. I still can’t believe the season,” Gurley said. “It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don’t want to feel that feeling again.”

The Rams have a new coach in Sean McVay and one of the first things he can do to help chart a winning course is find a way to get Gurley back to the kind of effectiveness he had as a rookie.

Gurley ran for 1,106 yards while averaging 4.8 yards per carry in 2015, but dropped to 3.2 yards per attempt in 2016 while never hitting 100 yards in a game, leaving plenty of room for improvement for a player expected to be a building block of better Rams offenses.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love TG. I think he's a class kid and a great player who's gonna rebound. But he needs to STFU, quit doing commercials and interviews and all that BS, and focus on the offense and his play on the field. Focus in on what matters Todd, because this game will pass you by so damn fast you'll be a distant memory before you know it, just another player who flamed out like a one hit wonder from the 80s.

I want to see TG wear a gold jacket some day. Not all up in the press. Quit with that IMO.

The reason I said chill is because all players have media obligations they Have to fulfill and I will never blame a guy for making money on endorsement because they definitely don't get paid enough imho. Those commercials are normally shot way before the season start so they don't impact training

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The reason I said chill is because all players have media obligations they Have to fulfill and I will never blame a guy for making money on endorsement because they definitely don't get paid enough imho. Those commercials are normally shot way before the season start so they don't impact training

I'd like to add that there's a line b/w commercials here and there vs. what Robert Griffin III (tons of endorsements, commercials, trademarking his initials, etc).

What did TG do? Some burger commercials and an NFL based fantasy commercial?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
because this game will pass you by so damn fast you'll be a distant memory before you know it

Actually, kind of a good reason for doing it. Doesn't bother me, and like @AngryRam said, it ain't RGmememe-esque.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'd like to add that there's a line b/w commercials here and there vs. what Robert Griffin III (tons of endorsements, commercials, trademarking his initials, etc).

What did TG do? Some burger commercials and an NFL based fantasy commercial?

You forgot the "little teapot" in a tutu skit. :cautious:
(Don't even remember what he was endorsing).

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Honestly, if I was a famous athlete. My response and very real attitude to people who constantly question how I conduct myself and my career would get a very real "wtf asked you??"

TexasRam

Legend
The great Marshall Faulk couldn't run behind the 2016 line.

Once we rebuild this line with our 40 million in cap space, we are going to see a comeback by 30.

Ram65

Legend
Todd Gurely is a great interview. He didn't throw the Rams O Line under the bus. A nice little rest and get back to work get ready to show he can be a top level NFL running back.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I remember his first year he was an extremely humble kid who's voice cracked when he tried to do an interview, talked about how thankful he was and performed like someone who was ready to tear the league a new one.

Move to LA, suddenly doing commercials based on the hype, not so humble and not so good on the field. I agree with @Merlin

Remember what got you here and get back to doing it or you aren't going to be around long. Great RBs make their line better. There were plays he left on the field and by the end of the year even though he was calling out the offense and saying some players weren't giving the effort, he sure wasn't doing anything like his first few games in 2015.

I believe he CAN rebound now show us TG and I could care less what kind of endorsements you get.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/todd-gurley-explains-frustrated-rams-middle-school-offense-012417

Todd Gurley explains why he was so frustrated with the Rams’ ‘middle-school offense’

Todd Gurley was widely discussed as one of the best running back prospects of the past decade. Despite coming into the league after a significant knee injury, Gurley still was drafted 10th overall by the Rams and went on to dominate in his rookie season.

He rushed for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns in just 12 starts, while also earning Rookie of the Year honors. This season — after the team’s move from St. Louis to Los Angeles — was much different for the franchise running back.

He struggled his way to 885 yards and six touchdowns, averaging just 3.2 yards per carry.

The Rams’ poor offensive line and league-worst offense didn’t help his cause, and he was understandably frustrated throughout the year. On FS1’s “Undisputed” Tuesday, Gurley discussed just how difficult of a season it was.

“It was very difficult. It’s probably my worst year of my career,” Gurley said. “Just trying to stay focused week after week. Even though it’s not happening, just stay positive and keep working hard, saying ‘this is my week.’ ”

Gurley was outspoken in regard to the Rams’ offense, saying it resembled a “middle-school offense” shortly before coach Jeff Fisher was fired. He was visibly frustrated on the field and shared his thoughts with the media after games, which was somewhat surprising for a soft-spoken player like him.

Gurley was asked why he was so critical of the team and the lack of production offensively, and he credited it to the Rams’ mental blunders.

“Just the mistakes we were making. We practiced just as much as any other team. We had meetings as much as any other team,” he said. “When we go out there, it was just turnovers, mental mistakes from everybody, even including myself. So I feel like that’s one thing we have to change next year.”

The focal point of Los Angeles’ offense this season was obviously Gurley, and teams realized that. He was well aware of the way opponents were playing him, loading the box and gearing up to stop the run.

“Oh yeah, for sure. They were definitely respecting the run, and they weren’t going to allow that to happen. At the end of the day, it’s about winning your one-on-ones, beating that man across from you. They know Zeke’s gonna run the ball, but at the end of the day, he’s still gonna get those yards.”

Gurley’s rookie year was far from historic, but it was still obviously very impressive. Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott, on the other hand, did make history in Year 1 by setting multiple records and leading the NFL in rushing.

Some of that was thanks to Dallas’ star-studded offensive line, but Gurley believes Zeke deserves plenty of credit too.

“Obviously, you have to give credit to the guy. He has a great O-line as well, but at the end of the day he’s out there running the ball doing spin moves, stiff-arming, hurdling defenders, so you have to give credit to him as well.”

Gurley side-stepped a question about whether he’d be able to put up those kinds of numbers behind Dallas’ offensive line but did say “every running back” would love to run behind that unit.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Would have loved to gauge his excitement about Sean.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wanna know exactly what the offense did to remind him of middle school...open up...then shut up...get in the gym...grab Goff...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I have to wonder. what kind of advice is he getting from his Agent!?! He should either realize this^^ on his own or someone better Tell him! This is a " Prove-it " year coming up for him!! JMHO

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Did Gurley put on weight or does he plan to this offseason to get back into that hard to take down RB he once was.