Todd Gurley making progress, but Rams won't rush him/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley making progress, but Rams won't rush him
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...gurley-making-progress-but-rams-wont-rush-him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The pre-training camp news that St. Louis Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley would begin camp on the active roster was met with plenty of optimism that he'd be back breaking tackles and scoring touchdowns in short order.

But perhaps nobody knows better than the Rams that what amounts to rehab progress one day can quickly turn into a painful setback. That's especially true when it comes to anterior cruciate ligaments.

It was just a year ago that the Rams were singing the praises of quarterback Sam Bradford and left tackle Jake Long in their respective recoveries from torn ACLs. Bradford went on to re-tear his ACL in the third preseason game. Long made it almost halfway through the season before re-injuring his knee.

So even if they stick to the usual platitudes about every injury being different, the lessons of the past are hard to ignore.

"Our approach with Todd is just that it’s a common sense, medical approach," coach Jeff Fisher said. "That includes everybody. We’re going to take care of Todd and get him ready to play. All of those decisions are based on information and progress and his commitment and where we think he is, not where I think he is from a head coach’s standpoint, but collectively from (director of sports medicine and performance) Reggie (Scott) and through the doctors and everybody.”

The Rams are not yet a full week into this training camp, but so far Gurley's practice routine has remained mostly static. He's participated in individual drills, worked with the team in walk-throughs and attended meetings.

"It’s frustrating, because you know, you just feel like you can go or you know you just feel like you can do much more than the trainers or the coaches are giving you," Gurley said. "But, they are just trying to protect you and they’ve been through this, they have years of experience. So, no need to rush it."

So far, at least, Gurley is remaining patient, though Fisher expects there to come a time when Gurley begins campaigning to do more and push the envelope.

"That’ll become a problem eventually I’m quite sure," Fisher said.

For now, Gurley and the Rams are sticking to the plan.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mason on Rams RB situation: 'Tre Mason is still here'

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-on-rams-rb-situation-tre-mason-is-still-here

When it comes to the eventual debut of Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley, Jeff Fisher sees it as a process. In a way, they have to protect the eager running back from himself.

And while they do that, fellow running back Tre Mason sees an opportunity.

"Tre Mason is still here," Mason said, via ESPN.com. "Give me the ball. I'm ready to rock. That's how I feel about the situation."

The odd thing is that Mason, at 5-foot-8, 207 pounds, was probably never going to be an every down back. He is one of the league's best change-of-pace backs and was firmly in mind when the franchise decided to select Gurley in the first round of this year's draft.

Though the three-down back is making a comeback, it's interesting to hear the perception among players at the position.

At the least, there seems to be a competitive feel from Mason.

"I feel like he's my teammate now and if you guys need information on Todd Gurley you should ask Todd Gurley," Mason said. "That's how I feel."

Of course, they'll soon see how much better it is working together.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Gurley chomping at the bit.....Gurley bout to show the world....I'm excited to see the new Eric Dickerson, SJ#39, or is he the new Wendel Tyler? LOL....yea, Wendel was real good....fumbled but could ball....

Snead & Fisher...Snisher are real gamblers....I'll roll with them any day....still have me scratching my head after a few picks (guess)...but I still believe. Gurley was a GOOD pick.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Media’s Steve Wyche reports on the status of St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley and gives the latest updates of what he’s been doing during practice

Watch Wyche's Gurley Report

RamzFanz

Damnit
The pre-training camp news that St. Louis Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley would begin camp on the active roster was met with plenty of optimism that he'd be back breaking tackles and scoring touchdowns in short order.

That's where I was. Not that he would be full speed or anything, but I thought he would be participating at some point.

Right now, from what I've seen, he won't be starting anytime soon. He's not even making cuts yet. He's barely working out on the field. I'm setting my expectations back to hopefully after the bye.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
That's where I was. Not that he would be full speed or anything, but I thought he would be participating at some point.

Right now, from what I've seen, he won't be starting anytime soon. He's not even making cuts yet. He's barely working out on the field. I'm setting my expectations back to hopefully after the bye.

If you watch the GoPro video the Rams did, you can cleary see Gurley making cuts and moving pretty well. No noticable limp, running hard.

If he doesn't start until after the bye, that means he had a setback at some point. Or if the Rams felt it was going to take that long they woulda PUP'd him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If you watch the GoPro video the Rams did, you can cleary see Gurley making cuts and moving pretty well. No noticable limp, running hard.

If he doesn't start until after the bye, that means he had a setback at some point. Or if the Rams felt it was going to take that long they woulda PUP'd him.

He makes turns and runs and stops, but not hard cuts that I've seen. My reluctance to believe he will play early now is mostly that and because he has yet to participate in a 7v7 or 11v11 or even many of the group drills. He would have to come a long way in the next few weeks.

I hope I'm wrong but even Fisher's comments seem to indicate to me they aren't going to move him along in time.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner and ESPN injury analyst Stephania Bell discuss RB Todd Gurley’s recovery from a torn ACL and the Rams’ plan to bring him along slowly.

Watch Wagoner/Bell Talk Gurley

RamBill

Legend
Rapoport: Rams Love Where RB Todd Gurley is Physically

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport gives a report on where St. Louis Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley is in his recovery from ACL surgery.

Watch Rapoport Talk Gurley