Todd Gurley Interview - NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.nfl.com/toddgurley?campaign=tw-nf-sf25210573-sf25210573

Todd Gurley
Running back, Los Angeles Rams
Born: Aug. 3, 1994
Experience: 1 NFL season

Due to a knee injury that prematurely ended his final season at Georgia, Todd Gurley got off to a late start in his rookie campaign. But the Rams running back took the league by storm in October and eclipsed 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts. Finishing the season with 1,106 rushing yards, Gurley earned Offensive Rookie of the Year honors and a trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. Gurley discusses former Bulldog teammates (and 2016 draft prospects) Keith Marshall and Leonard Floyd, his health and the Rams' quest to make the playoffs.

Interview by Brooke Cersosimo • April 27, 2016

toddgurley-main.jpg

NFL Media's Oklahoma Drill series presents exclusive, quick-hitting one-on-one interviews with players and coaches from around the league. No nonsense -- just football experiences directly from the source.

That I rushed for 1,000 yards and made it to the Pro Bowl as a rookie. I mean, that was just shocking for me just because I was just trying to get back on the field last year. God allowed me to get back on the field, and I was able to have a season that I did.

Once you get drafted, there's new goals you have to set and prove everybody right or wrong.You have to work hard and have fun.

I'm not really a big goal guy, though. My thing is to be the No. 1 rusher and my teammates and linemen will definitely try to help me to get that.

Despite having torn his ACL just five months prior, Todd Gurley was selected by the Rams as the No. 10 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. (Alix Drawec/NFL)

It meant a lot [to be the first running back selected in the 2015 draft], especially to be the first time a running back was taken in the first round in two or three years. That was definitely a good feeling to get that back, and hopefully we can keep that going again this year.

I was like, "Aw man. Thank you, Coach Fisher, for drafting me." It was definitely a proud moment for sure. I was definitely excited.

Being the first running back picked and Jameis being the first quarterback, we were the FedEx Air & Ground Players of the Draft.[This year, FedEx will donate $2,500] to the Red Cross chapter in the city where the [first QB and RB are] drafted. It's pretty cool.

[Former Georgia teammate Keith Marshall] is a playmaker. He's a guy who can change the game in a heartbeat, definitely very explosive and fast. It's hard for guys to catch him. Whoever gets him is going to get a great player for sure.

Ah man, Leonard Floyd is a beast. He goes hard every day and practices with intensity. Even playing in the game, he does a great job. This year, they switched him around and he played a little "Mike" and outside 'backer. When he's coming off that edge, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Whoever we take [with the No. 1 overall pick], the coaches will help him adjust. Just help him out and whoever we get, if it is a quarterback, he'll know a lot more than I do. I just need to protect him with pass protection and take some of the load off him.

Last year, we let about three games slip away from us, you know -- San Fran, the Ravens and Minnesota. We have to definitely finish those fourth-quarter games. We have to make plays and no excuses.

My thing is to try to make the playoffs. We fell short a couple games last year, so that's the goal for me.

I'm so far ahead. Last year at this time, I was just straight-line running and now I'm doing change-of-direction drills. I'm definitely a lot further than I was last year.

I can't give my secrets away too early. I don't want people preppin' for me. I'm excited to get back out there and make more plays with running or passing. I want to step my game up without the ball.

Sometimes when you see a hole open up real fast, you don't even finish your footwork. It's just like, Alright, let me get through this hole before it closes. Just gotta make a play. But that's a good feeling, though, because you don't see many big holes in the NFL like that.

D-linemen [hit the hardest]. I don't know, but being a running back, I feel like every hit is about the same. I don't know of one person. Hopefully, I don't find that out, either.