Todd Gurley has 'been loving' Sean McVay's offense/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Todd Gurley has 'been loving' Sean McVay's offense

By Jeremy Bergman NFL.com

Todd Gurley's first season in Hollywood was next to nightmarish.

After a promising rookie campaign, the former Offensive Rookie of the Year saw his yards per carry average dip to 3.2 and barely saw any opportunities to break big runs behind an ineffective offensive line. It also didn't help that the Rams quarterbacks were the least feared signal-callers west of Florham Park, inspiring opposing linebackers and safeties to crowd the box and limit Gurley's options.

But with new coach Sean McVay at the helm, Gurley is rejuvenated with hopes that his second go-around in the Coliseum will bear better results.

"I hope so," Gurley said, when asked by Zig Fracassi on SiriusXM NFL Radio if he expects Los Angeles' offense to be more "Gurley-friendly" in 2017. "Yeah, Coach. Tell Coach we want it Todd-friendly."

Gurley added that he has "definitely been loving" McVay's style of offense, which for now has the back focusing on daily preparation and being a "situational master." NFL Network's Gregg Rosenthal noted during minicamp that the Rams were moving the third-year back all around the offensive formation: in motion out of the backfield, outside the hashes, etc.

Inspiring the tailback this offseason is the development of second-year quarterback Jared Goff, who had shown in minicamp to be a more than competent option at QB.

"Oh, he's been getting better. Obviously, he didn't go No. 1 for no reason. He has the talent, and he's just been getting better," Gurley gushed. "He definitely had a great OTAs, great minicamp. Coaches have been doing a good job with him. Just his preparation, him being there all day, he's been great so far, man, so I'm definitely looking forward to it."

The running back's comments this summer are a far cry from what Gurley was saying just seven months ago about the state of L.A.'s attack. Following the Rams' loss to Atlanta in Week 14 -- a defeat that proved career-fatal for then-coach Jeff Fisher -- Gurley mused that his unit looked like a "middle school offense out there." In January, he told NFL Network's Rich Eisen that the Rams' 4-12 campaign was "like a nightmare."

It's still summer, and nary a Ram has yet to put on pads. But it sounds as if Gurley has already graduated from last year's middle-school nightmare to a professional dream.

After all, as Gurley puts it, "It can't get any worse than it did last year."

[www.nfl.com]

jap

Legend
I hope Kromer has his OL primed and ready to go from Game 1 since Todd is going to be the main target of the opposing defense until Jared and his fly guys give the D solid reasons to pay the passing game respect. Everybody and their grandmama knows what Todd did with only mediocre blocking in 2015. There's simply no way NFL DC's will not continue to crowd the box until Jared and his receiving ensemble make them pay. When the passing game becomes respected then Todd will have more opportunities to run wild.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all speculate what we think will happen this year..what we hope will happen this year. It's easy to be a cynic with a team that hasn't had a winning season in one hell of a long time, and much harder to be positive. ONE DAY we will be good again, and I have a good feel about this year. But hey, that's why I'm so conservative when I say we win 13 games this year:sneak:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Gentlemen we are only 2 short summer months away from the season opener, grab your jock straps and squeeze because the LA Rams are about to embark on a new season. The McVay train has a locomotive called Gurley and he is going to be a sight we haven't seen since Faulk, lol

jap

Legend
We all speculate what we think will happen this year..what we hope will happen this year. It's easy to be a cynic with a team that hasn't had a winning season in one hell of a long time, and much harder to be positive. ONE DAY we will be good again, and I have a good feel about this year. But hey, that's why I'm so conservative when I say we win 13 games this year:sneak:

Only 13 games!?! You hater!!!! :boxing::argue::lifting::wabbit::double::shooting::seizure:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I hope Kromer has his OL primed and ready to go from Game 1 since Todd is going to be the main target of the opposing defense until Jared and his fly guys give the D solid reasons to pay the passing game respect. Everybody and their grandmama knows what Todd did with only mediocre blocking in 2015. There's simply no way NFL DC's will not continue to crowd the box until Jared and his receiving ensemble make them pay. When the passing game becomes respected then Todd will have more opportunities to run wild.
Personally I think we will waffle stomp the shit out of Indy. McVay will come out swinging for the fences and Goff throws 300 yards and 3 touchdowns.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...by-jared-goff-he-didnt-go-no-1-for-no-reason/

Todd Gurley on recent improvements by Jared Goff: 'He didn't go No. 1 for no reason'

It's fair to say Jared Goff did not live up to expectations in his first season as the Rams' quarterback. It's also fair to say that condemning Goff as a bust would be a foolish decision considering he's played in just seven NFL games.

The upcoming season will tell us a lot about Goff. After all, he's longer saddled by Jeff Fisher's "middle school offense," as Todd Gurley so aptly put it a season ago.

Speaking of Gurley, he offered some praise for Goff's work this offseason, saying that he's seeing noticeable improvement in his game.

"Oh, he's been getting better. Obviously, he didn't go No. 1 for no reason. He has the talent, and he's just been getting better," Gurley told SiriusXM NFLRadio, according to NFL.com. "He definitely had a great OTAs, great minicamp. Coaches have been doing a good job with him. Just his preparation, him being there all day, he's been great so far, man, so I'm definitely looking forward to it."

In 2016, Goff completed 54.6 percent of his passes, averaged 5.3 yards per attempt, threw five touchdowns and seven interceptions, and posted a 63.6 passer rating. The Rams went 0-7 with Goff under center. But there are a couple of reasons to be optimistic about his development.

As previously mentioned, Fisher is no longer running the team. With Goff in mind, the Rams went out and hired Sean McVay, who thrived as the offensive coordinator of the Redskins. The expectation is that McVay will be able to offer some more scheme creativity and put his players in a better position to succeed.

Then there's the fact that Goff didn't really receive much help last season. According to Pro Football Focus, Goff's receivers dropped 16 of 128 catchable passes.

Of course, it's important to note that the Rams didn't exactly transform his supporting cast this offseason. Their biggest addition? Robert Woods. Tavon Austin is still their WR1. So this could be an issue again in 2017.

Goff probably won't get much help from his pass catchers, but he could be aided by Gurley's return. Gurley wasn't hurt last season, but he looked nothing like the rookie sensation he was in 2015. Last year, Gurley averaged 3.2 yards per carry. Two years ago, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

Again, the key is McVay finding ways to creatively use Gurley. The Rams are short on playmakers, so they need to rely on Gurley as much as possible. According to NFL.com, the Rams have been moving Gurley all around the field during practice.

Still, despite the change in coaches, it seems unlikely they'll do much damage this year. It's not Goff's rookie year anymore, but he is still being asked to learn a new offense. Furthermore, the primary reason behind the Rams' struggles is not coaching, it's a talent deficiency. The Rams likely won't be able to undergo a drastic improvement until they revamp their roster. And that'll take some time.

In the meantime, the best-case scenario for Los Angeles is seeing some improvement from Goff once the games begin. Despite all of their roster holes, if the Rams can get Goff to perform up to his potential, they'll win big-time by filling the most important position in all sports.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Still, despite the change in coaches, it seems unlikely they'll do much damage this year. It's not Goff's rookie year anymore, but he is still being asked to learn a new offense. Furthermore, the primary reason behind the Rams' struggles is not coaching, it's a talent deficiency. The Rams likely won't be able to undergo a drastic improvement until they revamp their roster. And that'll take some time.

I have to disagree with you on this. It seems to me that the coaching was the problem and the talent is there especially with the new pieces that were added during the off season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have to disagree with you on this. It seems to me that the coaching was the problem and the talent is there especially with the new pieces that were added during the off season.

That part of the article caught my eye too. Clearly the author's opinion making such a statement.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That part of the article caught my eye too. Clearly the author's opinion making such a statement.

Yeah, he's looking at last year's talent. Woods is a reliable receiver who runs good routes with good hands. The line will be improved. Goff will be improved. Don't underestimate Cooper Kupp. The kid could easily be their best receiver. When they talk about how hard it is to cover him I'm reminded of Donald's rookie year when they said no one can block him. Kupp has serious cuts in and out of his breaks.

Most of all the coaching will be improved. Sure, they won't be an upper tier offense this season. But with the defense they have all they need to do us climb up close to top 20 to have a winning season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gentlemen we are only 2 short summer months away from the season opener, grab your jock straps and squeeze because the LA Rams are about to embark on a new season. The McVay train has a locomotive called Gurley and he is going to be a sight we haven't seen since Faulk, lol
Look at it this way, we are ONLY 5 weeks away from our 1st Pre-Season game against The Cow-Pie's Aug.12th!!!!(y);):yay::yess:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"Tavon Austin is still their WR1."

CBS should hire someone to write these pieces that actually knows something about the team they are writing about.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-todd-gurley-loves-the-new-offense

Todd Gurley loves the new offense

BY CYRUS GELLER
GettyImages-631484866-e1499627347741.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 24: Todd Gurley #30 of the Los Angeles Rams carries the ball during the game against the San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on December 24, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Tim Bradbury/Getty Images)
  • Rams RB Todd Gurley says he has been loving new coach Sean McVay’s offense.
  • Gurley took a step back in his second season, as his overall grade dropped from 75.4, to 68.8, which ranked 33rd out of 62 qualified running backs.
  • Gurley was seventh out of 52 running backs in yards after contact per attempt in 2015 at 2.87, but he saw that number drop to 2.18 in 2016, putting him 46th out of 53 qualified backs.
gurley-chart-update.png

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

And I disagree with this. The players have to take some responsibility in executing. Granted, its not all of their fault but at the NFL level, they need to hold up to their end of the bargain too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I disagree with this. The players have to take some responsibility in executing. Granted, its not all of their fault but at the NFL level, they need to hold up to their end of the bargain too.

There's gotta be something to execute that works, and you have to understand how to execute it. At the NFL level, the players are too talented for a massive coaching and scheme disparity to not matter.

nighttrain

Legend
There's gotta be something to execute that works, and you have to understand how to execute it. At the NFL level, the players are too talented for a massive coaching and scheme disparity to not matter.
If I remember correctly, Fisher's offense was overly complicated, and well, just didn't work
train

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The players have to take SOME responsibility in executing.
Yes, SOME responsibility.

But if the play calling is bad and the execution is off because of bad coaching that's mostly on the coaches.

My guesstimate would be about 66% on the coaches 34% on the players lack of execution.