Todd Gurley Aiming to Participate at Start of Training Camp/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley aiming to participate at start of Rams training camp
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ming-to-participate-at-start-of-training-camp

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There's still no definitive timetable for St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley's return to the football field. But there has been progress in his rehabilitation from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament.

In fact, Gurley says there's been enough progress that he now has his eye on being able to participate in at least a portion of practice when training camp opens at the end of July.

"I'm coming up on seven months and a couple weeks," Gurley said. "I'm just going to keep progressing. I'll be here in July. I hope so for training camp, I hope I at least get to go do some individual stuff. So that's the next goal right there."

Whether Gurley is able to reach that goal remains to be seen but the past few weeks at least offered glimmers of hope. During the team's organized team activities, Gurley was regularly seen working on the side with athletic trainer Byron Cunningham. As the weeks went on, Gurley was able to do more and more.

After one practice, Gurley spent some time with running backs coach Ben Sirmans going through plays. Then, after one of the final OTAs, Gurley actually stayed with the rookies after a practice and went through some team walk-throughs.

"Things have been going pretty good," Gurley said. "I'm just doing whatever they tell me to do and just picking up on our offense more and more. That was my first time doing that little walk-through after. I usually do walk-through reps at the beginning of practice, too."

When Gurley hasn't been working out on the side or after practice, he's been spending the practice reps doing everything he can to sharpen his knowledge of the playbook. He was a regular visitor to the offensive huddle during OTAs, listening in on the play call and then going through what his role would be mentally as it happened.

For his part, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the team will monitor Gurley's progress over the next month before deciding what he'll do at the outset of camp.

“It's hard to say right now," Fisher said. "I can't predict that. I know he's doing well. He'll rehab with us during the break. We're also going to give him his time off because he's entitled to his time off to go home for a few days. We're just going to see how he progresses. We have options, which are the PUP things and we just have to see where he is. If he's not PUP-ed then I think you could probably assume that he's going to play sooner than you think.”

Gurley and his rookie teammates participate in the NFL's rookie symposium this week and then have some down time, but Gurley said he plans to spend most of his "off time" in St. Louis continuing to work out and get healthy. He's hoping if he can make the necessary progress in that time then he will have a chance to get back into some individual drills upon the start of training camp. Rookies are set to report for the start of camp on July 27.

"I'll be back here and rehabbing and be out here on the field," Gurley said. "I think the coaches will still be here so I'll still be able to meet with my coach every now and then."

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Man! I love to hear this guy is in there working hard no just physically but getting those mental reps too. I don't want to see him too early as I think Mason roved he can get it done being the feature back but having to 1's available at RB in the second half of the season makes this year a lot more interesting than it has been in WAY too long.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know this is selfish & wrong, but I want him to get some carries with the #1's in the first pre-season game....

jap

Legend
He's being patient, but he's chomping at the bit too. Hold that thoroughbred back before the race is on, Fish! :lifting:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know this is selfish & wrong, but I want him to get some carries with the #1's in the first pre-season game....
Yeah - I gotta admit - I really want to see this kid on the field in horns. Sure it's selfish. But I'm a fan. I don't have to know if it's a good idea. :D

jap

Legend
Here is a look at a former Sooner RB that may give us an idea of what Gurley can be like at his best. His name is Marcus Dupree, and he may have been the most highly recruited high school player in history. After an unfortunate knee injury that seemed to end his football career, Marcus rejuvenated his career after a five and a half year layoff to come back and play for the Rams for 15 games over two seasons before he was final waived.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...&mid=C955B1298CFA6079044EC955B1298CFA6079044E

nighttrain

Legend
Here is a look at a former Sooner RB that may give us an idea of what Gurley can be like at his best. His name is Marcus Dupree, and he may have been the most highly recruited high school player in history. After an unfortunate knee injury that seemed to end his football career, Marcus rejuvenated his career after a five and a half year layoff to come back and play for the Rams for 15 games over two seasons before he was final waived.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=marcus dupree video&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=C955B1298FA6079044EC955B1298CFA6079044E
IN college he looked and ran like ED when with the Rams, currently Cody Davis (reserve DB) has a recorded time at the Houston Regionals of 4.37
train
ps and yes he has dressed for 31 our to last 32 Ram games

jjab360

Legend

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=marcus dupree video&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=C955B1298CFA6079044EC955B1298CFA6079044E
I'd certainly hope that's not the best that Gurley could do...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=marcus dupree video&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=C955B1298CFA6079044EC955B1298CFA6079044E
An amazing talent... a man amongst boys in his early years.

Did you see the 30-on-30 on him? So sad... he trusted people to keep his best interests at heart, only to have one after another let him down (that reverend, Switzer, some family members).

Now he drives a truck for a living and is basically broke.

Seemed like such a nice, trusting person.

Just plain sad.

nighttrain

Legend

Did you see the 30-on-30 on him? So sad... he trusted people to keep his best interests at heart, only to have one after another let him down (that reverend, Switzer, some family members).

Just plain sad.
get that degree
train

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Todd Gurley: Return for Rams camp 'looking realistic'

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gurley-return-for-rams-camp-looking-realistic

Todd Gurley's rehab from an ACL tear is progressing to the point where the St. Louis Rams running back is eyeing next month's training camp for his return to the field.

"That is definitely a goal that I'm shooting for," Gurley told NFL Media's Tiffany Blackmon from the NFL Rookie Symposium Wednesday night. "Just to be able to get out there and do at least some individual stuff. It's looking pretty realistic. This month I'll be in St. Louis rehabbing, so hopefully I can aim for (training camp)."

Gurley sustained the injury nearly seven and a half months ago. During the Rams offseason workouts he's been mostly relegated to rehab work, but was able to get some light walkthroughs in near the end of OTAs.

While most of his offseason work has consisted of mental reps, the rookie running back said he's been picking up the offense.

"It's been going pretty good," Gurley said. "When we first came in with the rookies for minicamp, you get the install those three days and then OTAs came around, it kind of slows (the offense) down a little bit because you get to have more practices and a lot more meetings. So it's been coming a long pretty good so far."

The Rams will bring the No. 10 overall pick along slowly. But if he's healthy come the start of September, Gurley could be a huge part of an offense that has deep question marks in the passing game. Teaming Gurley's power with the likes of Tre Mason in the Rams backfield could provide a potent combo for a run-heavy team that relies on its defense to win games.

For his part, the rookie isn't worried about the depth chart, just his health.

"Right now I'm just trying to get back on the field, that is one of my biggest goals right now," he said.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley: 'Pretty realistic' he'll be ready for Rams training camp
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
June 24, 2015 11:22 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ealistic-hell-be-ready-for-rams-training-camp

Wipe that drool off your chin, Rams fans. You too, fantasy owners. There's a chance we might see Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley ready for training camp.

Gurley, speaking with NFL Media's Tiffany Blackmon, said he's "shooting for" training camp as a return date from the ACL tear he suffered in November of his final season at Georgia.

"That is definitely a goal that I'm shooting for," Gurley said. "Just to be able to get out there and do at least some individual stuff. It's looking pretty realistic. This month I'll be in St. Louis rehabbing, so hopefully I can aim for [training camp]."

Returning from a November ACL injury in time for August football activities would be pretty stunning. We saw Adrian Peterson return that quickly and the return of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski and Broncos cornerback Chris Harris last season from ACL injuries was flat-out remarkable. (Both underwent surgery in January 2014 and returned for the start of football in September.)

So Gurley's plan is possible especially if things have been "going pretty good."

"It's been going pretty good," Gurley said. "When we first came in with the rookies for minicamp, you get the install those three days and then OTAs came around, it kind of slows [the offense] down a little bit because you get to have more practices and a lot more meetings. So it's been coming a long pretty good so far."

Given Jeff Fisher's preference -- and in the case of the 2015 Rams -- to run the ball, it's entirely possible Gurley could be a workhorse in 2015. St. Louis might not wait to lean on him and at the very least will let Gurley and Tre Mason try to one-two punch opposing defenses while limiting Nick Foles' exposure.

St. Louis could also opt to limit Gurley's workload early and ease him in, although there's sufficient pressure on this front office to produce a winner and Gurley's draft status indicates they expect he can contribute early.

jap

Legend

Just plain sad.

Yes, I saw the 30-on-30 concerning Dupree. I was hoping to link that documentary to my original message, but the NFL won't allow it.

It can be real tough to be super talented and completely ignorant about the business world. So many 'friends' come crawling out of the woodwork, ready to manage your life for a 'nominal' fee. This guy was touted as the next Jim Brown---incredible power, speed, and quickness for a big man.

RamBill

Legend
Monday Morning MD: Will Todd Gurley be ready to go?

Dr. David Chao

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-articular-cartilage-is-the-holy-grail/

When asked if his first-round pick coming off ACL surgery would be ready for training camp, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said, “It’s hard to say right now.” A key to whether he plays early season will be if he starts the year on the PUP list.

Everyone cites Adrian Peterson’s quick return after his ACL tear. That is an unfair comparison for Gurley. First, not all ACL injuries are the same. The associated cartilage, meniscus and ligament damage is rarely reported so we don’t know the true extent of injury. Second, in orthopedics, data shows that up to 95% of athletes can return to their same level. Gurley is not being asked to return to his same collegiate level, but make the jump to the NFL. He has two hurdles to clear in his rookie year.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley: ACL Rehab is Going Well
Rams RB Todd Gurley joined Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on The SiriusXM Blitz from the Rookie Symposium to talk about his rehabbing from his ACL injury and getting back on the field. (1:00)

Listen to Gurley Interview

RamBill

Legend
Rams Rookie Confessional: Todd Gurley
St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley reveals what he likes most about his new team and what he hopes to prove to them during training camp.

Watch Gurley Comments

jap

Legend
Dr. Andrews:

"ACL . . . check!,
LCL . . . check!,
MCL . . . check!,
PCL . . . check!,
bionic inserts . . . quadruple check! . . ."