Today's NFL, what's more valuable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kind of a funny thought ran through my mind. Y'know the theory that some teams will tank the last few games to move up in the draft? Pretty sure WA ain't going to be one of 'em.:heh: The best we can hope for is for the team to give up on Shanny and Bob. C'mon #1 pick.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure the conventional answer is to say OT but if you look at all the teams that have taken an OT at the top and those players turned out to be Pro-Bowlers, I don't think many have even gone to the playoffs(if they did, they didn't go far). For example, Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Matt Kahlil, etc have all been drafted very high yet their respective teams have done nothing. Players like Okung and Clady were also drafted high but if you look a little deeper, you'll see that they've been injured and their teams haven't really missed them at all. Many of the top teams do just fine with average to solid LT play. (Here's an article I accidentally stumbled upon when looking for all the recent OT's that were taken high that agrees with me: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offensive-tackles-rethinking-the-blind-side-and-position-value/).

Now look at all the top teams in the NFL and you'll almost always find an stud WR or TE for the QB to throw to. Baltimore, NY Giants, N.O., Green Bay, etc all had elite, or at least very good, WR's or TE's when they won.

So to answer the original question, I'd rather take the DE or WR over a LT. There's very little evidence that in today's game an elite LT is needed.

Strange how the Pats won 3 Super Bowls without a stud WR. Yet lost one with Randy Moss. Well, maybe not so strange, huh.

V3

Hall of Fame
Strange how the Pats won 3 Super Bowls without a stud WR. Yet lost one with Randy Moss. Well, maybe not so strange, huh.

And who was their LT? The Patriots back then were a bit of an anomaly due to Brady. He makes everyone around him better- whether it's his offensive lineman or receivers.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And who was their LT? The Patriots back then were a bit of an anomaly due to Brady. He makes everyone around him better- whether it's his offensive lineman or receivers.
Don't discount the value of their cheating. That adds a unique element to their winning formula.

ram29jackson

Rookie
Very true. They haven't won since. :bigup: :roflmao:

while they did lose to the Ravens and the Giants in their previous more important games ( and I predicted they would to upset a bunch of fans LOL) you cant deny that they have pretty much owned the AFC for years now.

the year that started it all you can blame Martz for being just as arrogant as most accuse Belichick of being because he wouldn't -run- the ball in the SB game against the Patriots