To put things in perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
was it 3? must have missed one.were they terrible drops or hard receptions dropped?
All 3 bounced right off his hands, one was a little behind him and one he had tight coverage. But if it hits an NFL WR in the hands they should catch it.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, I totally forgot that Bradford sucked in the first two. That makes me feel a bit better.

Now, let's go get Goff a ton of reps with the 1s in Game 3. Keenum doesn't need it. Make Goff the starter for that game.

He should have to earn that position, he doesn't look like a starter yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should have to earn that position, he doesn't look like a starter yet.

It's not about earning the position. The Rams didn't give up what they gave up for Goff to be the #2 QB. He's the guy. It's about getting him reps with the 1s to gauge if he's ready to step out in Week 1 and start or if we need to sit him.

We know who Keenum is. He'll be fine without the reps. The Rams need to see where Goff is at against the other team's best guys. This isn't about competition. This is about figuring out how far Goff is from being ready to play.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If spruce doesn't make this team I'm gonna go apeshit. He has looked by far the best wr that is fighting for a spot on the team. I would only put britt and tavon ahead of him because i know what they can do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If spruce doesn't make this team I'm gonna go apeshit. He has looked by far the best wr that is fighting for a spot on the team. I would only put britt and tavon ahead of him because i know what they can do.

Can't disagree with this. Especially with Quick looking like shit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right now Goff is adjusting and always taking snaps from the shotgun and now from under is center is an adjustment, I don't care what anybody else communicates, Goff looks far more comfortable in shotgun than under the center, but so did Peyton Manning.

Also many posted about his quick feet and how athletic he was in college, that has not been a smooth transition to the next level. I also think we forget the kid is 21, will be 22 in October so his body still needs to develop from a strength aspect and at this level and a year under strength and conditioning coaches Rock Gullickson and J. Aggabao will serve him well.

That being posted, his ball hums, that's right it hums, it looks different than Keenum or Mannion's that's for sure and right now, he is adjusting to the speed of the game while also taking snaps under center and I'm not worried and here is why...
  1. Keenum looks very good and I would be okay with Goff being like Manning & Rivers and just waiting and observing.
  2. I feel much better now with the offensive coaching staff, I love Rob Boras and I feel Chris Weinke is becoming a very good QB coach along with passing game coordinator Mike Groh, I feel Goff is in good hands unlike the pundits as the other 1st round QB's including Dak Prescott have Head Coaches that were former NFL QB's.
  3. Goff has been stirred, but not shaken, seems to take everything in perspective and still showcases that confidence and coming back last night after a few hiccups will serve the Golden Bear alum well moving forward, great job keeping him in there by Fisher, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Right now Goff is adjusting and always taking snaps from the shotgun and now from under is center is an adjustment, I don't care what anybody else communicates, Goff looks far more comfortable in shotgun than under the center, but so did Peyton Manning.

Also many posted about his quick feet and how athletic he was in college, that has not been a smooth transition to the next level. I also think we forget the kid is 21, will be 22 in October so his body still needs to develop from a strength aspect and at this level and a year under strength and conditioning under coaches Rock Gullickson and J. Aggabao will serve him well.

That being posted, his ball hums, that's right it hums, it looks different than Keenum or Mannion's that's for sure and right now, he is adjusting to the speed of the game while also taking snaps under center and I'm not worried and here is why...
  1. Keenum looks very good and I would be okay with Goff being like Manning & Rivers and just waiting and observing.
  2. I feel much better now with the offensive coaching staff, I love Rob Boras and I feel Chris Weinke is becoming a very good QB coach along with passing game coordinator Mike Groh, I feel Goff is in good hands unlike the pundits as the other 1st round QB's including Dak Prescott have Head Coaches that were former NFL QB's.
  3. Goff has been stirred, but not shaken, seems to take everything in perspective and still showcases that confidence and coming back last night after a few hiccups will server that Golden Bear alum well moving forward, great job keeping him in there by Fisher, IMHO.

That's the best summation of Goff and the Rams at this point.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Also many posted about his quick feet and how athletic he was in college, that has not been a smooth transition to the next level. I also think we forget the kid is 21, will be 22 in October so his body still needs to develop from a strength aspect and at this level and a year under strength and conditioning under coaches Rock Gullickson and J. Aggabao will serve him well.

3. Goff has been stirred, but not shaken, seems to take everything in perspective and still showcases that confidence and coming back last night after a few hiccups will server that Golden Bear alum well moving forward, great job keeping him in there by Fisher, IMHO.
I agree. Watching har Knocks, you could hear the ball come off his hand. Definitely a quick release with velocity. He just needs to get his reads faster, and his footwork in drop backs. I'm not worried. All this stuff can be taught and improved with coaching and practice. If he doesn't start week 1, I will not complain. I'd rather him being more up to speed and comfortable than throwing him out to not succeed.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Well, I totally forgot that Bradford sucked in the first two. That makes me feel a bit better.

Now, let's go get Goff a ton of reps with the 1s in Game 3. Keenum doesn't need it. Make Goff the starter for that game.

This. We need Goff taking starting reps in a game at some point. I'd prefer he first get his feet wet in the pre-season before the games matter. Keenum has looked fine. Let him rest.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lets put it in perspective....Goff needs more reps....Even Fisher knows that, which is why he left him in the game....He should start. Keenum is not a winning NFL QB...He can manage the game...but he can't make the throws of a QB like Goff. What are they waiting for to make the change...He'll get better the more he plays...not less. Now for my favorite topic...
instead of guys on the bubble like Brian Quick.
A bubble guy plays in the 2nd quarter? Get's targeted in both games?

how many passes has Quick dropped anyways ?
\/

Brian Quick did not help his case tonight
maybe...maybe not...

here was one point in time that Goff was 7 for 10 with all 3 inc's drops by Quick.
\/

Quick is quickly working his way out of a job.............I counted 2 for 2. He dropped passes that were right on target.

Especially with Quick looking like crap.
2 drops I counted...could I have missed one, sure...2 drops...and I knew...he'd be crucified...the two I saw...yep, no excuses...BUT....First one..on the sideline...Goff's first play in game...out pattern...thrown b4 he turns around....on him quick..with some sauce on it..a lil heat..The rookie was pumped...bounces off his finger tips...In fact, Quick looks like he wasn't even expecting the pass...terrible...but expected with a new QB...saw something similar on a few games...but I see/felt the fans frustrations...esp. in here! LOL
The second drop...looks like a slant/in breaking route...he sees this ball, a little high, but very catchable...now, I don't know about you guys, but when a QB throws a lil high, across the middle of an NFL field, with bodies around, that's a tough catch. Makeable of course, but because of the "large men around that want to separate the ball from receivers" being nearby I understand this drop a lil too....but again. Very catchable ball.
You guys get all huffy about drops...like they never happen..In fact, the week b4 when we had a few drops, not many called for anyone to not make the team or be cut...Well, some were all over Mike Thomas...Well, in coaching, they do have a response..it's called benching...less reps...and replacement. It kinda happened. Tavon & Thomas didn't see any targets...Quick got 4...dropped 2...I expect something similar will happen this week. All this cutting guys...too soon...Just move up the backups, if they've proved it in PRACTICE.....Cutting is the final straw. When no amount of coaching seems to work....
I'm surprised at YOU Ole School...I know Jrry is leading his merry pack to wield pitchforks & torches to burn any 2nd round pick that hasn't scored 10 td's...but this game is like a battle of attrition...Only the strong survive...One game doesn't make you..it's just a part of the story. Chapter 2...Lets see ch. 3 with the new stud QB...We may all be surprised who rises next vs. Denver.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Lets put it in perspective....Goff needs more reps....Even Fisher knows that, which is why he left him in the game....He should start. Keenum is not a winning NFL QB...He can manage the game...but he can't make the throws of a QB like Goff. What are they waiting for to make the change...He'll get better the more he plays...not less. Now for my favorite topic...

\/

maybe...maybe not...

\/

2 drops I counted...could I have missed one, sure...2 drops...and I knew...he'd be crucified...the two I saw...yep, no excuses...BUT....First one..on the sideline...Goff's first play in game...out pattern...thrown b4 he turns around....on him quick..with some sauce on it..a lil heat..The rookie was pumped...bounces off his finger tips...In fact, Quick looks like he wasn't even expecting the pass...terrible...but expected with a new QB...saw something similar on a few games...but I see/felt the fans frustrations...esp. in here! LOL
The second drop...looks like a slant/in breaking route...he sees this ball, a little high, but very catchable...now, I don't know about you guys, but when a QB throws a lil high, across the middle of an NFL field, with bodies around, that's a tough catch. Makeable of course, but because of the "large men around that want to separate the ball from receivers" being nearby I understand this drop a lil too....but again. Very catchable ball.
You guys get all huffy about drops...like they never happen..In fact, the week b4 when we had a few drops, not many called for anyone to not make the team or be cut...Well, some were all over Mike Thomas...Well, in coaching, they do have a response..it's called benching...less reps...and replacement. It kinda happened. Tavon & Thomas didn't see any targets...Quick got 4...dropped 2...I expect something similar will happen this week. All this cutting guys...too soon...Just move up the backups, if they've proved it in PRACTICE.....Cutting is the final straw. When no amount of coaching seems to work....
I'm surprised at YOU Ole School...I know Jrry is leading his merry pack to wield pitchforks & torches to burn any 2nd round pick that hasn't scored 10 td's...but this game is like a battle of attrition...Only the strong survive...One game doesn't make you..it's just a part of the story. Chapter 2...Lets see ch. 3 with the new stud QB...We may all be surprised who rises next vs. Denver.

You seem to be forgetting this is quicks 5th year and drops are still a problem. Personally I never understood how a NFL wr can drop a ball so often, even though there's a lot of butterfinger Wrs in the NFL some how, but it's never something that overly worried me because it's by far the easiest thing to teach. So when I see a young wr dropping passes (I.e. Cooper or Thomas) I don't get too worried cuz it's easily fixable, but when you got a guy like quick who has had 4+ years now to fix the issue it's a bit worrisome that it'll never be fixed. And if you watched any Rams games last year you shouldn't need to be reminded how much a guy with extreme case of butterfingers can hurt an offense *cough* cook *cough*

lockdnram21

Legend
I was Quick biggest fan.... Its time for the cut he doesn't need to play in anymore Games. Give Duke and Paul more reps

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
.Goff's first play in game...out pattern...thrown b4 he turns around....on him quick..with some sauce on it..a lil heat..The rookie was pumped...bounces off his finger tips...In fact, Quick looks like he wasn't even expecting the pass...terrible...but expected with a new QB...saw something similar on a few games...but I see/felt the fans frustrations...esp. in here! LOL

Receiving 101 :head comes around directly out of break.That is all on Quick
for not having his head turned.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

\/

maybe...maybe not...

\/

0:06 / 2:50

I pray you're right (Brian Quick)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So when I see a young wr dropping passes (I.e. Cooper or Thomas) I don't get too worried cuz it's easily fixable, but when you got a guy like quick who has had 4+ years now to fix the issue it's a bit worrisome that it'll never be fixed. And if you watched any Rams games last year you shouldn't need to be reminded how much a guy with extreme case of butterfingers can hurt an offense *cough* cook *cough*
Hmmm, Damarius Thomas from Denver...you getting rid of him because of drops? Or, Ted Ginn...you cutting him for drops? Okay, here's an easy one...DHB (Heywood-Bey)...the fast guy from the Raiders...he's with the Steelers...ran the 4.2, and Al Davis had to have him...He drops it too...Why do the Steelers have him in camp?? Drops happen...it takes time...plus, you have to become adjusted to a new QB...you'll know when there's a real problem...We aren't there yet...
Glad you ended with Cook...Our own Jared Cook...Best receiving option we had...released...but signs with...Aaron Rodgers...McCarthy...Green Bay Packers...Dropper..in your eyes...right??? Why would Rodgers want Cook???

Receiving 101 :head comes around directly out of break.That is all on Quick for not having his head turned.
Exactly....get your head around...no other way to explain it...bet he learns...bet he gets better...Something a lot of the wr's on the team CAN'T say for sure...Check his stat line...You're a stats guy right tavian....what's his ypc average? guess what...he averages 1 drop a game...just like....hmmm, who would that be:thinking:

I pray you're right (Brian Quick)
Trust me....hard workers are really consistent in getting better...you can't coach 6'3, 220....He needs the work with Goff....Can you tell that he and Keenum throw entirely different balls?

FrankenRam

Starter
You seem to be forgetting this is quicks 5th year and drops are still a problem. Personally I never understood how a NFL wr can drop a ball so often, even though there's a lot of butterfinger Wrs in the NFL some how, but it's never something that overly worried me because it's by far the easiest thing to teach. So when I see a young wr dropping passes (I.e. Cooper or Thomas) I don't get too worried cuz it's easily fixable, but when you got a guy like quick who has had 4+ years now to fix the issue it's a bit worrisome that it'll never be fixed. And if you watched any Rams games last year you shouldn't need to be reminded how much a guy with extreme case of butterfingers can hurt an offense *cough* cook *cough*

If drops are 'easily fixable', how come we're having this discussion about a WR who's had 4+ yr to fix it....and apparently hasn't.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
2 drops I counted...could I have missed one, sure...2 drops...and I knew...he'd be crucified...the two I saw...yep, no excuses...

I pointed out in the reviewing Goff's throws thread that Quick had 2 that bounced off his hands that there are no excuses he should have caught. The third hit him in the hands but he also had very good coverage and while it hit him in the hands the coverage gave him a pass on it. But yes at one time Goff was 7 of 10 and all three of the inc's were to Quick 2 should have easily been caught the 3rd could have but it was contested. I like Quick but if he's cut I won't be upset.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm good with where Goff is at the moment. A little adversity now is good for his development.
I agree; he will get better in the next 5-6 weeks....and maybe he will start the 2nd half of the season, or when we are down 17-0 at half or something that gets Fisher mad enough to put him in ;)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Bradford's first two pre-season games the ENTIRE offense looked out of sync---it was a joke. We look more in sync than I thought we would---I think the O line 'gets it' (that being the youngsters: GRob, Wich and Brown).