TJ Moe hoping to catch on with Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Moe hoping to catch on with Rams
By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c8ad5075-6095-5f31-a931-fe6bbae1f619.html

T.J. Moe finds himself in a somewhat awkward position these days.

Moe, who starred at Fort Zumwalt West High and at the University of Missouri, is a free agent receiver trying to hook on with the Rams. But because of his candor and the relationship he has built with local reporters, Moe is among the team’s regular interview requests.

“I know some guys shy away (from the media), but I’ve always enjoyed it. I like dealing with you guys,’’ Moe said following a recent practice at Rams Park in Earth City. “I get it. I’m getting attention as the local guy, and that’s fine. But the thing is, I’ve done nothing here or in the NFL to be the center of attention. There are a lot of guys who deserve the attention, who’ve earned it with their play on the field. I need to be real careful about that; I have to make sure I do and say the right thing.’’

Moe, 23, is trying to make a name for himself as a receiver and special-teams player after seeing his rookie season wiped out by a torn Achilles tendon. Signed as an undrafted free agent by the New England Patriots, Moe was hurt during spring OTA practices and had surgery on June 3, 2013.

After clearing waivers, he spent the season on injured reserve.

“I did my rehab here and flew to New England once a month or so to give the doctors there a chance to see how I was doing,’’ Moe recalled.

In early March, Moe joined the other Patriots’ injured players for team physicals. On March 10, he was released.

“Not exactly sure what happened, except that they felt they needed the roster spot,’’ said Moe, whose size (5-foot-11, 204 pounds) and playing style draw comparisons to ex-Patriot and current Denver Broncos receiver Wes Welker. “To be honest, I wasn’t there long enough to give them much to evaluate, but that’s how pro football works. In OTAs last year in New England, there seemed to be guys coming and going every couple of days.’’

Following his senior season at Mizzou, Moe attended a pre-draft local workout at Rams Park and was pursued by the Rams as an undrafted free agent. The team took another look at him this year and signed him May 5.

“When you’re hurt, most teams don’t want anything to do with you until you’re 100 percent, but at least the Rams had something to compare (my workout) to,’’ Moe said. “I came in and ran a few routes and I guess they like the way I was moving.’’

Moe’s No. 1 priority these days is getting as close to 100 percent as possible for training camp. That, and learning the playbook.

“I feel pretty good — it feels good to run around again — but I’m still working to get my strength back,’’ he said. “Whenever you’re hurt, you need to build up the muscles around the injury and that’s what I’m focused on. The quickness is starting to come back, but I’m not as powerful as I’d like to be.

“It feels good enough to be out here, but I know it can still get better.’’

But first, he needs to absorb the playbook.

“It’s a challenge because every team does things a little bit differently,’’ he said. “It’s like being a college freshman again, except that in college you know you’re going to be around to learn it. Here, there are no guarantees.’’

As a senior at Zumwalt West, Moe was named the Post-Dispatch offensive player of the year after throwing for 2,557 yards, rushing for 2,029 and accounting for 61 touchdowns. He was also the school’s Post-Dispatch scholar-athlete.

Originally recruited to Mizzou to play defense, Moe ended up as a three-year starter as a slot receiver. As a sophomore, he was the go-to receiver for Parkway West High product Blaine Gabbert, finishing with 92 catches for 1,045 yards, and he scored seven touchdowns. In 48 career games, Moe had 188 catches (fifth all-time for a Tiger) with 2,101 yards and 11 touchdowns. A team captain as a senior, he also excelled in the return game, averaging 23.3 yards on 38 kickoff returns.

“T.J.’s a guy who competes and make plays,’’ said cornerback and ex-Tiger E.J. Gaines, who was selected by the Rams in the sixth round of May’s draft. “I like to kid him that I know what he’s going to do because I’ve been covering him so long, but I think we both enjoy challenging one another in practice.’’

Like most positions, the competition at training camp at receiver will be intense. In addition to returning players Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, the Rams added veteran receiver Kenny Britt as a free agent.

“It’s a very talented group, and each guy has his own strengths,’’ Moe said. “You have to find what you’re good at and then really excel at it. For me, that’s using my quickness and strength.’’

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seems likable enough. I wonder if he will have a better camp than that WR from Lindenwood. According to reports he looked pretty good in camp, and he still didn't make the team. I don't think he hooked up with any other teams either.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems likable enough. I wonder if he will have a better camp than that WR from Lindenwood. According to reports he looked pretty good in camp, and he still didn't make the team. I don't think he hooked up with any other teams either.

That was Andrew Helmick and yes he did look good in OTA's and early in camp, but then got hurt and hardly played in pre-season and as the saying goes....You can't make the club when you're in the tub!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im rooting for Moe to make the team, not because he is a mizzou guy but because he would make a great slot reciever in the Amendola/Welker mold.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No shot at all imo. He will most likely be on practice squad

IMO he has a shot especially with Bailey missing the first four games. Should be really good special teamer who could return kick offs. Right now Cunningham returns kick offs.

lockdnram21

Legend
IMO he has a shot especially with Bailey missing the first four games. Should be really good special teamer who could return kick offs. Right now Cunningham returns kick offs.

Tavon, Mason, pead,Pettis even given can return kicks. Imo they stick with 5 until Bailey comes back

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Tavon, Mason, pead,Pettis even given can return kicks. Imo they stick with 5 until Bailey comes back

I think its WAY TOO EARLY to project how many they keep at any position, especially when you get to the back end of the roster. They are finally to the point where they are deep enough across the board they can just keep the best players. And when it comes to the core Special Teams guys, I don't they care what position they come from.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I could see that too because one would surmise they won't keep 7 WR's, however, maybe he puts some pressure on Pettis and you never know with injuries, but that's why I actually enjoy watching pre-season games.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Some are quick to say the kid doesn't have a chance, but if he looks and plays like Amendola this summer, some may be surprised this fall. BTW, as a former high school QB, this kid could probably also be a nice gadget/wildcat option for the offense to mix things up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some are quick to say the kid doesn't have a chance, but if he looks and plays like Amendola this summer, some may be surprised this fall. BTW, as a former high school QB, this kid could probably also be a nice gadget/wildcat option for the offense to mix things up.
Didn't Helmick look and play like Amendola last year (in camp)?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I believe from what I had heard is that the reason Helmick didn't stick on the roster, is that he was always sitting out at practice with some kind of "injuries" ... and that it was also a common theme with him in college. ... wanted to play in games but always found a reason to sit out of practice.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I believe from what I had heard is that the reason Helmick didn't stick on the roster, is that he was always sitting out at practice with some kind of "injuries" ... and that it was also a common theme with him in college. ... wanted to play in games but always found a reason to sit out of practice.

I talked to one of his trainers at Lindenwood the second practice, (before he got the hamstring) and that was what i was told. He could get away with it being the best player on the team, but it caught up with him at this level. Gotta stay on the field when you're an UDFA from a small school like that.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I talked to one of his trainers at Lindenwood the second practice, (before he got the hamstring) and that was what i was told. He could get away with it being the best player on the team, but it caught up with him at this level. Gotta stay on the field when you're an UDFA from a small school like that.

That won't be an issue for Moe now granted I have not seen much of him even in college, however, he strikes as someone that would cut off his right arm or maybe a pinky to play or practice and Memphis could be on to something because IMO Schottenheimer is looking for a Brad Smith clone.