Tj McDonald to leave in free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
got a similar player in Mo who is probably going to be cheaper and arguably has a higher ceiling. plus we might get a nice comp pick for him leaving

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe. I can't see Joyner moving with how much we'll be in nickel. That slot CB is important and he's a good one.

Agreed. Joyner is a very good nickel CB, Rams aren't going to create more shortages there to move him to safety. CB is where he is best served IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Have to expect some turn-over with the new staff. I enjoyed watching TJ bring the boom but there have been plays where he was out of position and got burned. Plus those big hitters don't last long so probably a good time to move on. I trust Phillips to build a great defense.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Agreed. Joyner is a very good nickel CB, Rams aren't going to create more shortages there to move him to safety. CB is where he is best served IMO.
He is good there, but I think he could be even better in the FS role. Would be hard to replace him at cb but it can be done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put Alexander at SS and LaMarcus Joyner at FS. Problem solved. We may have actually upgraded on McDonald.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If we don't have a free safety on the roster already who allows TJ to play close to the line of scrimmage rather than more cover-2, I can't see paying him any amount of money to stay...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I def agree that Alexander and TJ Mac were def the same type of safety. I actually think Alexander is more athletic than TJ and could be more of a player maker if he (big if) keeps developing. Good move for the Rams since so much $ is tied up with TruJo.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I def agree that Alexander and TJ Mac were def the same type of safety. I actually think Alexander is more athletic than TJ and could be more of a player maker if he (big if) keeps developing. Good move for the Rams since so much $ is tied up with TruJo.
I don't know about Alexander. Didn't he turn and run instead of standing his ground when Blount was running toward him? I didn't like that shit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Alexander to SS and Joyner or a rookie to FS. There are also a couple decent stop gap free agents that could step in for a year or two.

I'd heard that Jairus Byrd from NO was released or gonna be.

I think he got bit a bit by the injury bug and that crap NO defense just didn't have him playing to his strengths.

I'd love to bring him in on a 1 year prove it deal.

Put him at FS and have Mo Alexander be at SS. With the pressure this DL is gonna bring, we're going to need that Safety who has range, speed and can catch the dang ball. He did it in Buffalo and I think Wade could get Byrd back on track. That gives the young guys a little more time to marinate in the new system.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Expected....too many SS-types on roster. Move Barron back to SS. Keep Mo at FS...

Seriously don't know what most see in Joyner. I don't think he's had one int in the league. I'd guess he allows 70% completions when thrown at...and I see about 15 guys running today that I'd rather have in the slot.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm comfortable with this TBH - as you guys have said too many similar guys on the roster. I totally trust Wade Phillips when it comes to having the right guys onboard AND (as @LACHAMP46 said) have you seen the DBs in the draft this year!!