Dolphins activate T.J. McDonald after eight-game suspension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I thought the Dolphins weren't taking anymore troublemakers? Isn't that why they got rid of Incognito?...

Anyways no longer our problemo.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Whatever deal he did receive from the phins was obviously half of their original offer at best.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
i just read that Bradford has a new backup in Minnesota...Case Keenum

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
C8Qr1RyVYAEJE-e.jpg

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...promises-to-learn-from-mistakes-with-dolphins

T.J. McDonald promises to learn from mistakes with Dolphins
James Walker/ESPN Staff Writer

i

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

MIAMI -- T.J. McDonald knows his first foray into NFL free agency didn’t have to be this difficult.

The 26-year-old safety is entering the prime of his career while coming off a solid season with the Los Angeles Rams in which he recorded 64 tackles, two interceptions and one sack. Still, McDonald didn’t find a team until Friday, three weeks into free agency, when he signed just a one-year contract with the Miami Dolphins.

McDonald’s issue hanging over him was an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. The suspension comes from an incident last May when McDonald was arrested for driving under the influence of prescription drugs. He pleaded to a lesser charge in January.

Most teams decided to stay away. But Miami saw enough potential in McDonald to give him half the season to prove himself.

“It was just something that I’m definitely paying the price for to think that I’ve made it,” McDonald said Friday on a conference call with the Miami media. “I’m definitely going to own up to it. It was something I’ve learned from.”

McDonald added that his mistakes “will never happen again.” The move could pay dividends for the Dolphins, who need depth at safety.

Miami is coming off a 10-win season and has playoff expectations again in 2017. McDonald will come off suspension around November and could provide a boost for the Dolphins' secondary opposite former Pro Bowl safety Reshad Jones.

In the meantime, McDonald will be just a footnote for Miami until the winter. He is allowed to participate in offseason workouts, minicamp and training camp. His suspension will begin in Week 1 of the regular season.

“I’m coming back [after the suspension] against the wall," McDonald said. "I’m just happy to go move forward with this and being able to get back to playing ball. It’s all about ball for me right now.”

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Such a hard hitter. Many have mentioned it all ready, but the hit on Caldwell vs Denver in 2014 and the shot he delivered on Mike Evans in 2014 were my favorite McDonald moments. Unfortunate we lost him, regardless of his 8 game suspension. Hopefully, he matures more in Miami.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Such a hard hitter. Many have mentioned it all ready, but the hit on Caldwell vs Denver in 2014 and the shot he delivered on Mike Evans in 2014 were my favorite McDonald moments. Unfortunate we lost him, regardless of his 8 game suspension. Hopefully, he matures more in Miami.

Am I mistaken or was that McLeod on Sanders, vs Denver?

I liked TJ. Seemed like a great kid. Could never get over the fact that his dad coined SOSAR, tho. Best of luck to him.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Am I mistaken or was that McLeod on Sanders, vs Denver?

I liked TJ. Seemed like a great kid. Could never get over the fact that his dad coined SOSAR, tho. Best of luck to him.
You're correct. McLeod had the more memorable hit on Sanders, but McDonald also got a good shot on Caldwell that game. Here's a clip that has McLeod and McDonald's shots that game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nNQ6HHcY9c

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ll-contend-for-starting-role-after-suspension

Miami S McDonald will contend for starting role after suspension
BY MARK CHICHESTER

GettyImages-631421634.jpg

Photo by Harry How/Getty Images

According to ESPN staff writer James Walker, Miami Dolphins safety T.J. McDonald will push for the starting job when he returns from his suspension in Week 9. While he’s out, the Dolphins are set to start the season with veteran safety Nate Allen playing opposite Reshard Jones at the safety position.

McDonald spent the 2016 season with the Los Angeles Rams, and logged 1,071 snaps over the course of the season. He finished the campaign with an overall grade of 70.0, ranking 64th of 92 qualifying safeties, and a coverage grade of 81.8, ranking 23rd of 95.

McDonald should have an immediate role when he returns. On average, he allowed just 0.42 yards per coverage snap in 2016, bettering the marks of teammates Nate Allen (0.75), and Michael Thomas (0.73).

Sitting out will be a different experience for McDonald. In his four years in the league, McDonald has never played below 90 percent of his team’s snaps.

TJ-McDonald.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I liked TJ, and I wish he had an opportunity to learn from Wade Phillips! But with that long suspension that wasn't going to happen!
I wish him well, and hope he creams Brady!!(y)(y):snicker::shades:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/11/dolphins-activate-t-j-mcdonald/

Dolphins activate T.J. McDonald
Posted by Mike Florio on November 11, 2017

842014986-e1510422338756.jpg

Getty Images

The Dolphins finally will get a return on the risk they took in the offseason.

Safety T.J. McDonald, signed subject to an eight-game suspension under the substance-abuse policy, has missed his eighth game and now has been added to the active roster.

To create space for McDonald, the Dolphins placed tackle Ja'Wuan James on injured reserve.

McDonald signed on March 31, after spending his first four NFL seasons with the Rams. The Dolphins were sufficiently impressed by his performance in the offseason, training camp, and preseason that they gave him a four-year extension before his suspension began.

A first-round pick of the Dolphins in 2014, James had started 25 straight games at right tackle for the Dolphins, with 47 total career starts. He suffered a knee injury on Sunday night against the Raiders.