Titans waive Zach Mettenberger

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Backup at best. One of those QBs whose hype among fans exceeds his playing ability.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
When you have Odell Beckum, Jarvis Laundry and Jeremy Hill on your team in college and STILL don't win, you're QB is the problem.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
About time.
The guy is not a NFL QB. Tho some team will pick him up and let him hang around for a while then cut him.

He can't process game information fast enough. That isn't fixable.

This^ was way overrated at LSU, in fact, reminds me of Christian Hackenberg in the way they played. Everyone praised Mettenberger's ability to make every throw, however, he was a statue in the pocket and made many mistakes.

@Yamahopper is correct, some team will pick him up because of size and arm strength and their fans might even get a little excited until they watch Mettenberger play and then they will come to their senses.

Places he could land???

1. Denver...They currently only have three QB's on their roster
  2. Pittsburgh....One berger backing up another.
  3. Chicago....They just signed Hoyer, however, new OC Dowell Loggains knows him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Looked good two years ago, not so good last year in spot duties. Sucks to get released now though, not many teams to latch on to. Denver's put it's eggs in the Paxton basket so I can't see them waisting time and resources on Zach. I could see someone in division bringing him in like the Texans, not sure who they have backing up Osweiller.
Yeah.
The timing is odd. I'd be more than upset if I were Zach.
Teams were fighting for qbs a few weeks ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/who-might-put-in-a-waiver-claim-on-mettenberger/

Who might put in a waiver claim on Mettenberger?
Posted by Zac Jackson on May 16, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptiyogi4mdaymdlknzzkngqzoda5yzkyzdqyymfkywqy-e1429524053457.jpeg
Getty Images

With the Titans moving on from quarterback Zach Mettenberger and Mettenberger’s next stop now being subject to the waiver wire, the Browns will have the first chance to claim Mettenberger if they want him.

The Browns already have five quarterbacks, so they may pass. But with a 24-year old quarterback with 10 games starting experience hitting the waiver wire at a time almost every team is already shuffling its roster, some team will probably claim Mettenberger, even if that team just views him as a potential backup.

Even though Mettenberger is 0-10 as a starter, interested teams know the Titans haven’t been very good the last two seasons. He’s 6-foot-5 and has completed 60 percent of his passes, and that should be good enough for some team to take a low-risk flier on a player who’s still on his rookie contract. The timing of his release was curious, but enough teams need quarterbacks to think that Mettenberger will get another shot soon.

Among the teams who could put in a waiver claim on Mettenberger…

**The Browns have five quarterbacks, but the new coaching staff and new regime are really tied only to Robert Griffin III and Cody Kessler. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Metteneberger claimed and Connor Shaw or Austin Davis released. The Browns probably see Josh McCown as a good tutor for Kessler, but we don’t know how much he’s really in the plans.

**Despite drafting Dak Prescott in the fourth round, the Cowboys could use an overall upgrade in quarterback depth. Same for the Chargers.

**The 49ers make sense given the uncertainty surrounding the Colin Kaepernick situation and that Blaine Gabbert is probably the team’s current starter. The 49ers drafted Jeff Driskel, but not until the sixth round.

**The Colts have had quite a backup quarterback carousel over the last several months, and like the Cowboys they found out last year that life without a viable backup is quite miserable.

**Cardinals Coach Bruce Arians likes big, strong-armed quarterbacks, and the Cardinals didn’t draft a quarterback in the 2016 draft.

**The Lions drafted Jake Rudock in the sixth round but have only Rudock and Dan Orlovsky behind Matthew Stafford.

**The Steelers have Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones under contract as backups, but Jones is entering the final year of his rookie deal and might not be in the team’s plans.

**The Broncos are at the bottom of the waiver order, but given their quarterback situation putting in a claim just in case every other team passes wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
He'll be a Cowboy.

Not so fast. The coach who drafted him is now is the OC for Charges. If anyone knows if he has potential it is Whisenhunt. If they do not, I take it mean major red flags On and or off the field). Also I think that K. Moore showed more when he started for Dallas than Mettenberg did for Titans.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
About time.
The guy is not a NFL QB. Tho some team will pick him up and let him hang around for a while then cut him.

He can't process game information fast enough. That isn't fixable.

Typical 6th rounder...not named Brady

Backup at best. One of those QBs whose hype among fans exceeds his playing ability.

I never was wowed by him in college. I agree he was overjoyed. His receivers made him look better than he was.

Not so fast. The coach who drafted him is now is the OC for Charges. If anyone knows if he has potential it is Whisenhunt. If they do not, I take it mean major red flags On and or off the field). Also I think that K. Moore showed more when he started for Dallas than Mettenberg did for Titans.

Good observation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Zach Mettenberger is a game charger.

Let me explain. I always enjoyed listening to Greg Cossell. He seems to be very good at what he does and claims to watch more tape than anyone on the planet. I had a lot of respect for him, until he said that Mettenberger was better than both Mariota and Winston and the Titans shouldn't pick either. He also said that Sidney Moncrief will end up being the best receiver in the draft.

So that Mettenberger made me realize that the one guy I respected and whose opinions I enjoyed listening too is just another guy that got where he was because of his name or who he knows.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Ho
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/who-might-put-in-a-waiver-claim-on-mettenberger/

Who might put in a waiver claim on Mettenberger?
Posted by Zac Jackson on May 16, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptiyogi4mdaymdlknzzkngqzoda5yzkyzdqyymfkywqy-e1429524053457.jpeg
Getty Images

With the Titans moving on from quarterback Zach Mettenberger and Mettenberger’s next stop now being subject to the waiver wire, the Browns will have the first chance to claim Mettenberger if they want him.

The Browns already have five quarterbacks, so they may pass. But with a 24-year old quarterback with 10 games starting experience hitting the waiver wire at a time almost every team is already shuffling its roster, some team will probably claim Mettenberger, even if that team just views him as a potential backup.

Even though Mettenberger is 0-10 as a starter, interested teams know the Titans haven’t been very good the last two seasons. He’s 6-foot-5 and has completed 60 percent of his passes, and that should be good enough for some team to take a low-risk flier on a player who’s still on his rookie contract. The timing of his release was curious, but enough teams need quarterbacks to think that Mettenberger will get another shot soon.

Among the teams who could put in a waiver claim on Mettenberger…

**The Browns have five quarterbacks, but the new coaching staff and new regime are really tied only to Robert Griffin III and Cody Kessler. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Metteneberger claimed and Connor Shaw or Austin Davis released. The Browns probably see Josh McCown as a good tutor for Kessler, but we don’t know how much he’s really in the plans.

**Despite drafting Dak Prescott in the fourth round, the Cowboys could use an overall upgrade in quarterback depth. Same for the Chargers.

**The 49ers make sense given the uncertainty surrounding the Colin Kaepernick situation and that Blaine Gabbert is probably the team’s current starter. The 49ers drafted Jeff Driskel, but not until the sixth round.

**The Colts have had quite a backup quarterback carousel over the last several months, and like the Cowboys they found out last year that life without a viable backup is quite miserable.

**Cardinals Coach Bruce Arians likes big, strong-armed quarterbacks, and the Cardinals didn’t draft a quarterback in the 2016 draft.

**The Lions drafted Jake Rudock in the sixth round but have only Rudock and Dan Orlovsky behind Matthew Stafford.

**The Steelers have Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones under contract as backups, but Jones is entering the final year of his rookie deal and might not be in the team’s plans.

**The Broncos are at the bottom of the waiver order, but given their quarterback situation putting in a claim just in case every other team passes wouldn’t be a bad idea.
How about the Jets? An endless competion for the backup but no starter.

Ram65

Legend
Not so fast. The coach who drafted him is now is the OC for Charges. If anyone knows if he has potential it is Whisenhunt. If they do not, I take it mean major red flags On and or off the field). Also I think that K. Moore showed more when he started for Dallas than Mettenberger did for Titans.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/...-2016-quarterbacks-cowboys-chargers-tony-romo
San Diego Chargers

The last time the Chargers looked to invest in the future, they acquired Philip Rivers while they still had Drew Brees under contract. Brees ended up going to New Orleans, where he performed just fine, and Rivers has been one of the top quarterbacks in the league since then. On top of that, Rivers is coming off one of the best seasons of his career playing on a Chargers team that finished just 4-12.

But Rivers will turn 35 during the regular season, and while the Chargers recently gave him a contract extension, it might be time for San Diego to strike while the iron is hot. Many of the young players above would fit in nicely behind Rivers to learn for the next couple of seasons, or even more. Who knows if Rivers will be done at that point, but it can't hurt to be prepared, especially with Kellen Clemens as the top backup behind Rivers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couple of no names on the depth chart.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good point. Makes sense to see what the Chargers do. Would he beat out Clemons? Would they keep three Qbs on the roster? Chargers @ 4-12 would have an early shot at him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Zach Mettenberger is a game charger.

Let me explain. I always enjoyed listening to Greg Cossell. He seems to be very good at what he does and claims to watch more tape than anyone on the planet. I had a lot of respect for him, until he said that Mettenberger was better than both Mariota and Winston and the Titans shouldn't pick either. He also said that Sidney Moncrief will end up being the best receiver in the draft.

So that Mettenberger made me realize that the one guy I respected and whose opinions I enjoyed listening too is just another guy that got where he was because of his name or who he knows.

Hell of a player. Arguably should be in the NBA Hall of Fame. Donte Moncrief, on the other hand... ;)

Agree on Cosell. Used to respect him but he's said a lot of crazy things the past few years that made me believe he's not good at evaluating talent.

Agreed. People see big boy with a huge arm and fall in love but he struggles with the most important parts of being a NFL QB. He processes things slowly, his ball placement is bad when he's forced off his spot, and he has poor pocket presence.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Cowboys won’t put in claim on QB Zack Mettenberger

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

chill@star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys have said repeatedly they are content with their current backup quarterback situation behind starter Tony Romo.

And they are continuing to prove as much with their actions.

Per a source, the Cowboys will not put in a waiver claim on former LSU quarterback Zack Mettenberger, who was released by the Tennessee Titans on Monday.

This is another vote of confidence for the team’s current quarterback room, which has Kellen Moore, rookie fourth-round pick Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers behind starter Tony Romo.

Mettennberger is 0-10 as a starter since being picked in the sixth round out of LSU in 2014. But the Titans have been a bad team and he still a young quarterback with good size and a big arm.

Mettenberger has completed 60.3 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and a 75.4 quarterback rating in his career.

Ironically, former Cowboys quarterback Matt Cassel was signed to replace Mettenberger as the primary backup in Tennessee.

Cassel was one of three quarterbacks who started games for an injured Romo last year. He tossed five touchdowns and seven interceptions with a quarterback rating of 70.6 in seven starts.

The Cowboys continue to express confidence in their ability to win games with Moore if Romo is forced to miss games again. Moore played in three games last season, completing 61 of 104 passes for 779 yards with four touchdowns and six interceptions and quarterback rating of 71.0.

Romo, 36, missed 12 games last season after twice fracturing his collarbone.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article77968762.html#storylink=cpy

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hell of a player. Arguably should be in the NBA Hall of Fame. Donte Moncrief, on the other hand... ;)

Agree on Cosell. Used to respect him but he's said a lot of crazy things the past few years that made me believe he's not good at evaluating talent.

Agreed. People see big boy with a huge arm and fall in love but he struggles with the most important parts of being a NFL QB. He processes things slowly, his ball placement is bad when he's forced off his spot, and he has poor pocket presence.

Oops. Yes I meant Donte.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude has a cannon.....But the slow feet scare me....STILL....look at the numbers...to say he isn't good enough to start in the NFL is a mistake....I'd be shocked if he isn't on a roster (Diego, Falcons, Cards, or Saints) in the next month. I actually like the guys game....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dallas' plan IMO:

1. Ride Romo to the playoffs.
2. If Romo gets hurt draft high.

No way their depth is good enough to sustain injury to Romo. I do like Prescott and think he may be a starter eventually but not next season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Dude has a cannon.....But the slow feet scare me....STILL....look at the numbers...to say he isn't good enough to start in the NFL is a mistake....I'd be shocked if he isn't on a roster (Diego, Falcons, Cards, or Saints) in the next month. I actually like the guys game....
I think AZ makes a lot of sense.
I was certain they would take a QB this year early in the draft.
With the Palmer an injury risk and the shuffling of back ups, I would think Arians would like a guy that has had some success as a starter.