Time to Trade Gurley ala Trent Richardson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
Naw there is something going on with his left shoulder, I don't care if he hasn't been on the injury report just look at the way he carries it. If you've experienced it you know that posture.

He may be impatient this year, he may be getting too much star treatment in hollyweird, he may be getting too much pusay whatever it is does not diminish what he showed last year. He needs to have a foot up his ass maybe to get the fire rekindled but I'd just as soon see that happen with him in horns

It's funny you mentioned his left shoulder possibly being hurt. I swear, every time the cameras show him jogging off the field, I think to myself, "Did he just hurt his shoulder?" Something doesn't look right when he trots off the field. I'm probably seeing things, but it wouldn't shock me if word comes out after the season that he was playing hurt.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like Gurley , but something seems a bit off this year . I don't have a clue what it is , but no way can they afford to lose thier only threat .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll just say this and leave it alone.

I think it might be a bit rash to consider doing what you propose.
While I agree with you 110% Les, It might not be a Bad Idea to start Benny ahead of Todd for a game or two!(y)o_O

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
source.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
While I wouldn't want Todd Gurley traded due to his sophomore slump, I do agree that getting a first round pick for him would be tempting. Are good running backs easier to find during the draft than other positions? I don't know that for certain but they do seem to have a shorter shelf-life than other positions and therefore may be "dispensable parts."

Check out the article below. At the worst it may spur on some more conversation on this topic. :)
*********************************************************************************************
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/03/2...only-expendable-theyve-become-dime-a-dozen-2/

NFL running backs not only expendable, they’ve become dime a dozen
By Mike Klis/March 29, 2014

Quarterbacks get the commercials.

Left tackles, edge pass rushers and cornerbacks carry enormous contracts.

Running backs are dispensable parts rolling off an assembly line.

Knowshon Moreno gained more than 1,000 yards rushing, 500 yards receiving and scored 13 touchdowns for the 13-3 Broncos of 2013? Nice job, Knowshon.

Next.

The Broncos didn’t hesitate to release Moreno to free agency, where he found little interest. They gave his job to Montee Ball, who rushed for 559 yards last season as a rookie.

“It’s a position that at one time was the National Football League,” said Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, an NFL offensive coach since 1989. “And now it’s just another position. It’s interesting how this thing has evolved with running backs.”

Everson Griffen, a pass rusher who has averaged fewer than 4½ sacks in his four-year NFL career, received a five-year contract that will pay him $13 million this year. Cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Darrelle Revis will receive $12 million apiece this year.

Moreno could only get a one-year deal worth $3 million to play for the Miami Dolphins.

“Am I surprised? Yes, because I think he had a very productive year,” said Broncos coach John Fox. “You can’t explain it. I’m surprised there hasn’t been interest in a lot of the backs, not just Knowshon. It might be more positional than anything. I’m surprised, but not surprised.”

It used to be the key to winning was running the ball and stopping the run. In the past decade or so, great running backs get in the way.

The running back has gone the way of the middle linebacker: He’s a two-down player. Somebody else comes in for the third-down passing situations.

“Pass protection is the biggest challenge for any running back that comes into this league,” said Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy. “You have so much one-back offense, the ability to play on third down for a young guy is a challenge. That’s part of the running back-by-committee approach.”

And perhaps why running backs have become so expendable.

The NFL’s indisputably best tailback is Adrian Peterson. He’s helped the Minnesota Vikings to one playoff win in seven seasons, none in the past four years. The distant next-best group of running backs consists of LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles. Their combined playoff record is 0-5.

Today’s NFL doesn’t know how to win with a great running back.

Perhaps Marshawn Lynch could be considered an exception — except he’s about the only Seattle player the Broncos contained as they were otherwise getting obliterated 43-8 by the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Not only are postseason victories scarce for the league’s elite tailbacks, their yardage declines quicker than you can say Michael Turner.

As recently as the 2011 season, the NFL’s top three rushers were Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice and Turner. Two years later, it was fair to wonder: “Whatever happened to Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice and Michael Turner?”

Jones-Drew drew zero interest through the initial phase of free agency this year before getting a pedestrian, three-year contract from the Oakland Raiders on Friday.

Rice was awful in 2013, rushing for only 660 yards and averaging just 3.1 yards per carry.

Turner is entering his second year of unemployment/retirement.

About the only thing faster than NFL running backs is how fast they go away. “It used to be (when building an offense,) get the great wideout, get the running back, get the superstar — and the offensive line, none of them could play,” Arians said.

Never mind the premium on the left tackle position. Free agency just rewarded four interior offensive linemen — Zane Beadles, Jon Asamoah, Shawn Lauvao and Evan Dietrich-Smith — with richer contracts than the highest-paid running back. Those four received deals of at least four years for at least $4.5 million per.

The top three running backs — Darren Sproles (who redid his contract after a trade to Philadelphia), Toby Gerhart and Donald Brown — all received three years for $10.5 million, or $3.5 million per.

No one cried collusion about what has become a disposable part.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
While I agree with you 110% Les, It might not be a Bad Idea to start Benny ahead of Todd for a game or two!(y)o_O
This is what you do before even considering a trade. Benny's 4.8 YPC don't mean anything in limited carries. See if he can excel in a full time role before putting the blame on Todd. You can even keep Todd out "due to injury" once our playoff chances are dead.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
While I wouldn't want Todd Gurley traded due to his sophomore slump, I do agree that getting a first round pick for him would be tempting. Are good running backs easier to find during the draft than other positions? I don't know that for certain but they do seem to have a shorter shelf-life than other positions and therefore may be "dispensable parts."

Check out the article below. At the worst it may spur on some more conversation on this topic. :)
*********************************************************************************************
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/03/2...only-expendable-theyve-become-dime-a-dozen-2/

Knowshon Moreno gained more than 1,000 yards rushing, 500 yards receiving and scored 13 touchdowns for the 13-3 Broncos of 2013? Nice job, Knowshon.

Next.

The Broncos didn’t hesitate to release Moreno to free agency, where he found little interest. They gave his job to Montee Ball, who rushed for 559 yards last season as a rookie.

“It’s a position that at one time was the National Football League,” said Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, an NFL offensive coach since 1989. “And now it’s just another position. It’s interesting how this thing has evolved with running backs.”

Everson Griffen, a pass rusher who has averaged fewer than 4½ sacks in his four-year NFL career, received a five-year contract that will pay him $13 million this year. Cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Darrelle Revis will receive $12 million apiece this year.

Moreno could only get a one-year deal worth $3 million to play for the Miami Dolphins.

“Am I surprised? Yes, because I think he had a very productive year,” said Broncos coach John Fox. “You can’t explain it. I’m surprised there hasn’t been interest in a lot of the backs, not just Knowshon. It might be more positional than anything. I’m surprised, but not surprised.”

It used to be the key to winning was running the ball and stopping the run. In the past decade or so, great running backs get in the way.

The running back has gone the way of the middle linebacker: He’s a two-down player. Somebody else comes in for the third-down passing situations.

“Pass protection is the biggest challenge for any running back that comes into this league,” said Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy. “You have so much one-back offense, the ability to play on third down for a young guy is a challenge. That’s part of the running back-by-committee approach.”

The NFL’s indisputably best tailback is Adrian Peterson. He’s helped the Minnesota Vikings to one playoff win in seven seasons, none in the past four years. The distant next-best group of running backs consists of LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles. Their combined playoff record is 0-5.

Perhaps Marshawn Lynch could be considered an exception — except he’s about the only Seattle player the Broncos contained as they were otherwise getting obliterated 43-8 by the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Not only are postseason victories scarce for the league’s elite tailbacks, their yardage declines quicker than you can say Michael Turner.

As recently as the 2011 season, the NFL’s top three rushers were Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice and Turner. Two years later, it was fair to wonder: “Whatever happened to Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice and Michael Turner?”

Jones-Drew drew zero interest through the initial phase of free agency this year before getting a pedestrian, three-year contract from the Oakland Raiders on Friday.

Rice was awful in 2013, rushing for only 660 yards and averaging just 3.1 yards per carry.

About the only thing faster than NFL running backs is how fast they go away. “It used to be (when building an offense,) get the great wideout, get the running back, get the superstar — and the offensive line, none of them could play,” Arians said.

Never mind the premium on the left tackle position. Free agency just rewarded four interior offensive linemen — Zane Beadles, Jon Asamoah, Shawn Lauvao and Evan Dietrich-Smith — with richer contracts than the highest-paid running back. Those four received deals of at least four years for at least $4.5 million per.

The top three running backs — Darren Sproles (who redid his contract after a trade to Philadelphia), Toby Gerhart and Donald Brown — all received three years for $10.5 million, or $3.5 million per.

No one cried collusion about what has become a disposable part.
I tend to agree with this. When's the last time a premiere RB led his team to the Super Bowl? Marshall Faulk? We also had a HOF offense around him and he didn't win shit until that happened. It's fun to watch Gurley when he gets going. But we would have the same record with Malcolm Brown.

Nowadays, it's all about the QB. Get one of those and 5 bodyguards and you got yourself a winning formula.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Next.

No one cried collusion about what h
8as become a disposable part.

I'll trust my opinion at least as much as a writer...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Gurley is having a "sophomore slump" combined with an inconsistent o-line, and everything else going on with the offense and the OP wants to get rid of him? ROTFLMAO! What's next trading Goff because he didn't start from game 1? Maybe Stan can move the team to San Diego if the Chargers exercise their option to re-locate to LA.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
When Benny Cunningham is averaging 4.8 YPC behind the same offensive line. :)
Consider this, maybe defenses aren't loading the box when Benny is lined up in the backfield because they see him more as a receiver rather than a runner? If you look at our tendencies, Benny is used more as a receiver than a runner.

Debacled

Starter
I tend to agree with this. When's the last time a premiere RB led his team to the Super Bowl? Marshall Faulk? We also had a HOF offense around him and he didn't win crap until that happened. It's fun to watch Gurley when he gets going. But we would have the same record with Malcolm Brown.

Nowadays, it's all about the QB. Get one of those and 5 bodyguards and you got yourself a winning formula.

Marshawn Lynch ring a bell?

Good players win games. Regardless of position. Qb has always been and will continue to be the most important piece because they touch the ball virtually every offensive snap, but writing off a position because the style of offenses has shifted is asinine at the least.

The model by which teams use a RB is changing. While it used to be a 30 carries a game kind of day for a RB the Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson molds are the successful norm now (which you could argue was spearheaded by Faulk himself). We've seen even with this piss poor offense how much of a difference using Gurley in the passing game makes.

Dumping Gurley for even a high 1st round pick would be stupid. Comparing him to Richardson is stupid (Richardson never showed flashes of anything in the NFL). The offense is simply not talented enough and dysfunctional enough with enough holes to essentially be a flop even with a sprinkling of top end talent. There is a young underachieving offensive line, WRs who are surprisingly good at disappearing (nothing new for the Rams), and a rookie at QB who doesn't have, and wont have, the seasoning needed to overcome that many offensive problems on his own even with a star at RB.

MountainRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Consider this, maybe defenses aren't loading the box when Benny is lined up in the backfield because they see him more as a receiver rather than a runner? If you look at our tendencies, Benny is used more as a receiver than a runner.

It is not one thing. it is a litany of things with Gurely. The biggest: Inability to break a game or two for 19 straight games is just worrisome when you are the next Adrian Peterson or better

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Marshawn Lynch ring a bell?

Good players win games. Regardless of position. Qb has always been and will continue to be the most important piece because they touch the ball virtually every offensive snap, but writing off a position because the style of offenses has shifted is asinine at the least.

The model by which teams use a RB is changing. While it used to be a 30 carries a game kind of day for a RB the Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson molds are the successful norm now (which you could argue was spearheaded by Faulk himself). We've seen even with this pee pee poor offense how much of a difference using Gurley in the passing game makes.

Dumping Gurley for even a high 1st round pick would be stupid. Comparing him to Richardson is stupid (Richardson never showed flashes of anything in the NFL). The offense is simply not talented enough and dysfunctional enough with enough holes to essentially be a flop even with a sprinkling of top end talent. There is a young underachieving offensive line, WRs who are surprisingly good at disappearing (nothing new for the Rams), and a rookie at QB who doesn't have, and wont have, the seasoning needed to overcome that many offensive problems on his own even with a star at RB.
I understand what you're saying but Marshawn had no part in winning that Super Bowl. Denver shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and never recovered.

The point is, it's been proved that you don't need a premiere back to win games. Adrian Peterson is probably the best RB ever and has never been to a super bowl.

I do agree on not trading Gurley. And having a guy like him helps no matter what. But if Goff becomes the guy everyone thinks he's going to be, he won't need Gurley.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny you mentioned his left shoulder possibly being hurt. I swear, every time the cameras show him jogging off the field, I think to myself, "Did he just hurt his shoulder?" Something doesn't look right when he trots off the field. I'm probably seeing things, but it wouldn't shock me if word comes out after the season that he was playing hurt.
I say and see the same thing!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am on record long before drafting Gurley that I do not value RB's in the first round.

That said; Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley top my list of Rams that I have the least concerns about.

Besides; how can a person actually evaluate any players in this offense?

But, it's an interesting topic.