Time to point directly at Demoff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Rams move aside, the football problems sit squarely on his shoulders. Let me count the ways:
  • Responsible for Hiring Fisher/Snead
  • Putting up with mediocre football for four+ years and was about to ink Fisher/Snead to an extension if they came out winning in 16'.
  • Was ready to re-up Bradford prior to 14, then again in 15' until his agent wouldnt renegotiate. Bradford is still no better than his rookie season-most fans were sick of his play-not Demoff. If his agent was willing, he would have been re-upped
  • Allowed for the organization to trade 6 picks for a QB that apparently still insnt "ready" to play NFL football.
  • Did not forecast correctly the value of Jenkins and McCleod and missed an opportunity to lock them up before 15' season.
  • Let Foles walk for 6mm. Bad decision and you saw why you keep that chip. He could have held it longer. Look what Eagles got for Bradford (1 & 4). Perhaps Foles would have went for a 3rd?
  • Locked up Austin, who's numbers are no where near they should be for the investment.
  • Sensabaugh decision. Driven mostly by the guys he hired, but it was a $5mm mistake.
If Stan is wise, he will clean house from top to bottom. The first decision in correcting the issue, since Demoff is not capable of correcting, is making a change at the top of Football Operations of the LA Rams.

Todd59

Rookie
Demoff is a EDIT. He rejoiced in a 5 game losing streak for the St. Louis Rams because it meant the end of any and all playoff hopes. Wouldn't want to distract anyone from the real mission - moving the team back to California. Whether you're happy about the move to LA or not, having a COO of your team pleased that you keep losing should be a "Burn-at-the-stake" offense to every fanbase in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Keeping Demoff was actually a good decision during the 2012 purge.

• Putting up with mediocre football for four+ years and was about to ink Fisher/Snead to an extension if they came out winning in 16'.

Great choice at the time, roster was a dunghole, managed to rebuild it with excellent talent. Prefer keeping Snead but I'm open to seeing Fisher let go if we don't have a winning season

Was ready to re-up Bradford prior to 14, then again in 15' until his agent wouldnt renegotiate. Bradford is still no better than his rookie season-most fans were sick of his play-not Demoff. If his agent was willing, he would have been re-upped

Hindsight was 20/20, was a high risk/high reward choice, and we ended up absorbing the risk

• Allowed for the organization to trade 6 picks for a QB that apparently still insnt "ready" to play NFL football.

Would've rather traded a farm for a QB of the future than let our current talent play out their contracts for nothing.

• Did not forecast correctly the value of Jenkins and McCleod and missed an opportunity to lock them up before 15' season.

Knowing their track record for developing players on defense, I'm not too upset with the losses

• Let Foles walk for 6mm. Bad decision and you saw why you keep that chip. He could have held it longer. Look what Eagles got for Bradford (1 & 4). Perhaps Foles would have went for a 3rd?

Enabled us to get rid of Bradford's ridiculous contract, allowing us to re-sign key FAs as well as get that extra 2nd round pick for Goff

• Locked up Austin, who's numbers are no where near they should be for the investment.

It's a good investment in my opinion, Austin's a well-rounded weapon that allows us to take advantage of mismatches. Although I would like to see an offense-minded coach take the reigns of our offense to provide more mismatch opportunities.

• Sensabaugh decision. Driven mostly by the guys he hired, but it was a $5mm mistake.

Can't argue with that.

Overall, we've come pretty far from being a perennially garbage team to a perennially mediocre team. I still want Fisher fired but I'll give him the chance to prove that he can get us a winning season, although I'm doubtful about it. Demoff is the least of our problems, the FO decision-making has night and day compared to what we dealt with under Frontierre. If Fisher gets fired, hopefully the next coach will take advantage of our talent and provide much better preparation against teams outside our division.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I like Snead. We have a damn good team. The failures are all on coaching. There were many, myself included, that pounder the table for Fisher. We got what we asked for....

I'm in favor of keeping Snead and letting him have full control. Hopefully the next coach has a more modern approach to offense, maybe even bring in Greg Roman as coordinator.

I'd have been okay with keeping Sammy and invested heavily on the oline. We have 3 first rounders on the DLine, and only one on the oline. Just shows how much Fisher values his QB.

It's not like they didn't try to keep Jenks and McLeod. If they got their contracts, Tavon wouldn't have gotten that one. Speaking of Tavon, that's what the Rams are going to have to pay for offensive players as long as Fisher is coach. Remember the Rams tried to bring in Marvin Jones this past offseason? He didn't even make the trip. Now he's 5th in the league with 623 yards and 4 TDs.

The Goff thing is discouraging, but if he ends up being a top tier QB and has us in the playoffs for the next 10 years or so, keep him on the sideline as long as it takes.

Coty was a mistake. Every team makes them. How many times have the Patriots signed a player only to cut him a few weeks later? (Hint: it happens ALL the time.) He was also a Titan. This has Fisher written all over it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Rams move aside, the football problems sit squarely on his shoulders. Let me count the ways:
  • Was ready to re-up Bradford prior to 14, then again in 15' until his agent wouldnt renegotiate. Bradford is still no better than his rookie season-most fans were sick of his play-not Demoff. If his agent was willing, he would have been re-upped
If Stan is wise, he will clean house from top to bottom. The first decision in correcting the issue, since Demoff is not capable of correcting, is making a change at the top of Football Operations of the LA Rams.

No
No
No
No
(I think you get my point)

Demoff is an administrator
and despite all your misguided examples you try to pin on the guy as "problems" he's actually done one Hell of a job.

And let me know the next time Demoff suits up and blows an assignment, then I might agree with you that he's some type of Boogieman

Come on now

JerseyRam1

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yrba1..Look at the standings...EVERY team is at least mediocre. After 7 horrific seasons, and now most likely 5 losing seasons under Fish-we all expected more. Think about the RGIII trade an the waiting years for the payoff...and now we are still 5th worst in the NFC!! Still cant block, cant run, cant pass, highly penalized, play mediocre defense and now sit with little draft pics the next 2 seasons! You can say its "better", but I dont see it. It may get a lot worse the longer this plays out before it get better

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Responsible for Hiring Fisher/Snead
Nope. Kroenke met personally with Fisher, and Fisher suggested the hiring of Snead.

Putting up with mediocre football for four+ years and was about to ink Fisher/Snead to an extension if they came out winning in 16'.
Nope. Not his decision to make.

Allowed for the organization to trade 6 picks for a QB that apparently still insnt "ready" to play NFL football.
COO's of football operations don't typically veto trade deals; and in this case, Fisher, Snead and Demoff are a triumvirate. If you're going to blame anyone for Goff "not being ready" (and that's subjective based on your feelings about it), then you have to blame all three of them.

Did not forecast correctly the value of Jenkins and McCleod and missed an opportunity to lock them up before 15' season.
You know this how? You know that they were willing to sign early? Even though Jenkins himself didn't want to? You do remember him rejecting an early extension and instead wanted to bet on himself (see: "Clamp season"). He was always gonna test the open market. He said as much.

Locked up Austin, who's numbers are no where near they should be for the investment.
Demoff doesn't lock up players unless the other two members of the triumvirate tell him they want him locked up. His salary has already been debated ad nauseum, and it's not based on the typical WR scale in the open market. Austin became the first player since Gale Sayers in 1965 to record at least five receiving touchdowns, four rushing touchdowns and one punt return score in a single season. He's a playmaker. And his full potential could very well be realized once Goff is up to speed.

lol. I wouldn't hold my breath. Kroenke and Demoff are virtually inseparable.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry JR1, you are either mis-informed or unaware with the items you mention cited in your post.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
will be an interesting off-season (assuming they remain on this track). I assume Demoff is pretty safe, seems like he is Stans "guy". The power chain between him JF and Snead is one of the most unique.

Snead does not seem to be a standard GM, based on what has been said he is more of a head of scouting/player personnel than a GM
JF has serious input into player signing and contracts
Demoff seems to have his hand very deep in the GM role.

Where blame goes and who gets released could go many direction.

Best future guess....Snead goes if JF goes...I believe that the Rams will hire a BIG name coach after JF and that person will likely get one of the high power contracts - so ultimately say on players/contracts etc., likely bring in their own GM, Demoff may lose power based upon the contract.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This type of thinking is throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The Rams are an elite organization now in every way but coaching. Demoff is, as @Dieter the Brock pointed out, an administrator and crucial part of the team. Snead will stay IF he fits with the new head coach, and that's important to note because Stan is going to go after a head coach who has experience and can allow for this team to mirror the Patriots' Way with a strong head coach and full support around him.

If Stan doesn't go after a seasoned head coach like I think he will (Shanahan Sr is still my bet), then he needs to hire a coach who has demonstrated a very high level of success at the coordinator level. That's what Belichick had. That's what Fish didn't have. The head coach has to hold it down on one side of the ball with the X's and O's nowadays because teams poach great minds quickly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The head coach has to hold it down on one side of the ball with the X's and O's nowadays because teams poach great minds quickly.
That's an interesting take. Good observation.

At the very least, have a system in place that can be transferred to the next coordinator. All too often, this Franchise has hired coordinators who take their system with them and we have to start all over again. New plays, new terminology, new learning curve. If you can credit the patriots for anything, it's the fact that they've had the same system in place since the 70's.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
X,
Pt 1, who's Fishers agent? You dont think played a role in the love connection with Stan?
Pt 2, He has no say in regard to who the coach is? The Coach is a big part of the brand Stan is trying to sell.
Pt 3, As part of the triumvirate, his weight should be equal to the others-then he's as guilty for the mistake as the others.
Pt 4, Many key pieces are retained by current teams. They find ways. Jenkins was "best at position" per Fisher this week.
Pt 5, Austin is dynamic but he hasnt taken the next step. Last weeks volleyball pay and FC at the 5 are great examples. Perhaps Cooper is a 45mm cheaper versions? Perhaps locking up JJ was more important to this team?
Pt 6, Inseparable?? When the brand isnt selling, who's responsible? Not Stan. He will find somebody to sell the Rams if Kevin cant.

My point is Demoff is deeply entrenched into this mess and should be accountable. Perhaps a football guy would build this better. Perhaps someone like Vermiel.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not thrilled with the last three weeks but I'm also not ready to jump on the flush everyone I want instant gratification bandwagon.

I was hopeful that things might be marginally better this year but I'm also realistic. Trying to deal with LA (I honestly think this has a lot to do with Gurley's sophomore slump), trying to get a rookie QB up to speed, getting operations up and running in temporary facilities, yada yada yada. None of that says we're winning the Super Bowl or even making a jump to double digit wins.

I'm cautiously hopeful, spent my money on the DTV package and will relish in the wins while trying not to let the losses screw up my whole day.

Blow it up and start over hell no that just sets things back 2 or 3 years. Hang in there ROD brothers and sisters, this is being done for the long haul not just this year.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
I'm not thrilled with the last three weeks but I'm also not ready to jump on the flush everyone I want instant gratification bandwagon.

I was hopeful that things might be marginally better this year but I'm also realistic. Trying to deal with LA (I honestly think this has a lot to do with Gurley's sophomore slump), trying to get a rookie QB up to speed, getting operations up and running in temporary facilities, yada yada yada. None of that says we're winning the Super Bowl or even making a jump to double digit wins.

I'm cautiously hopeful, spent my money on the DTV package and will relish in the wins while trying not to let the losses screw up my whole day.

Blow it up and start over hell no that just sets things back 2 or 3 years. Hang in there ROD brothers and sisters, this is being done for the long haul not just this year.
In my opinion, I think blowing it up and starting over will get us into the playoffs before Fisher ever will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X,
Pt 1, who's Fishers agent? You dont think played a role in the love connection with Stan?
Pt 2, He has no say in regard to who the coach is? The Coach is a big part of the brand Stan is trying to sell.
Pt 3, As part of the triumvirate, his weight should be equal to the others-then he's as guilty for the mistake as the others.
Pt 4, Many key pieces are retained by current teams. They find ways. Jenkins was "best at position" per Fisher this week.
Pt 5, Austin is dynamic but he hasnt taken the next step. Last weeks volleyball pay and FC at the 5 are great examples. Perhaps Cooper is a 45mm cheaper versions? Perhaps locking up JJ was more important to this team?
Pt 6, Inseparable?? When the brand isnt selling, who's responsible? Not Stan. He will find somebody to sell the Rams if Kevin cant.

My point is Demoff is deeply entrenched into this mess and should be accountable. Perhaps a football guy would build this better. Perhaps someone like Vermiel.
Let me just give you my opinion and I'll call it a day on this topic.
You're way off. Just way, way off.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an interesting take. Good observation.

At the very least, have a system in place that can be transferred to the next coordinator. All too often, this Franchise has hired coordinators who take their system with them and we have to start all over again. New plays, new terminology, new learning curve. If you can credit the patriots for anything, it's the fact that they've had the same system in place since the 70's.

I'm pretty sure the next hire will be an offensive guy, to ensure Goff can be brought along under the right atmosphere but also to get the most from Gurley and Tavon. We have some of the pieces for a passing game coach like Martz, but a philosophy that doesn't necessarily match. Tavon is a complete non-fit for a coach like Fish, and they just extended him, so Stan's gonna want return.

So yeah I do hope they keep the same terminology for the future with that hire. If they stick to hiring a guy who is a top X and O type mind, that usually means they get a great teacher of scheme too, and given that you suddenly won't have a bunch of problems with guys running the wrong routes, missing assignments, etc., at least to the level we have been subjected to.

Belichick had many years of demonstrated ability to shut down top offenses as a DC. He was so overqualified it wasn't funny when he finally got hired to run the show in Cleveland. That's what you're looking for IMO, even if you have to dip down to the college ranks. Because that, IMO, is the indicator of great coaching ability, the teaching that is at the heart of getting the most from your talent.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have problems right now... bu Demoff isn't one of them.

He gets paid to keep the cap under control... and I believe he's done a very good job of that.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
I hear ya, but how long must we wait until real change occurs. It was to have happened by now. Whats the definition of insanity?? Watching the Rams failed rebuild plans over the last 13 years certainly would qualify.

The move was certainly a big step in the right direction, but winning is not guaranteed unless the right steps are made. The Fisher/Snead step has been a failure. Whats to guarantee if Demoff has another shot, he'll get it right?