Time to get Quick involved

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I caught this article this morning and it rubbed open a wound.

We have GOT to figure out ways to take advantage of mismatches. Quick, Cook, and Austin.

Figure that out; and you open up the running game.

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=1027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=1027</a>

As good as the Peyton Manning to Wes Welker connection has been, the Broncos wouldn’t be off to such a hot start if it wasn’t for the contributions of 6-foot-3, 229-pound Demaryius Thomas and 6-foot-3, 215-pound Eric Decker. Manning and offensive coordinator Adam Gase are maximizing the advantages that come with the size of these receivers.

Thomas is so strong after the catch that the Broncos put an emphasis on getting the ball in his hands and letting him make something happen. Manning can supplement the ground game by throwing quick-hitting screens to Thomas when he sees one safety high and eight men in the box.

Monday against the Raiders, the Broncos hit Thomas on a designed screen over the middle against a three-high safety look on a third long. While he didn’t pick up the first down, Thomas had plenty of room to work against this soft coverage. Denver also threw a screen to Welker out of a bunch formation with Thomas and Decker leading the way for him.

As far as Decker is concerned, his size and toughness gave the Raiders problems when he lined up in the slot and worked over the middle. He also did damage working on the outside. While he clearly doesn’t have breakaway speed, he did a nice job of spinning away from the corner and picking up yards after contact downfield on his 61-yard catch.

It’s not like Thomas and Decker are the only "big" receivers making an impact by any stretch. Atlanta’s Julio Jones (6-3, 220) and Detroit’s Calvin Johnson (6-5, 236) are arguably the best in the league. They have rare blends of size and speed, which is why the Falcons traded up to take Jones with the sixth overall pick in 2011 and the Lions drafted Johnson with the second overall pick in 2007.

Tennessee's second-round pick in 2013, Justin Hunter, and Cleveland's second-round pick (in the 2012 supplemental draft) Josh Gordon are a notch below Jones and Johnson, but they both showed they have the size and speed combination to make an impact on game days.

At 196 pounds, Hunter is lean and doesn’t have elite, top-end speed but he does have above-average, top-end speed and can win 50-50 balls downfield. The 6-foot-4 rookie elevated over 5'11" DC Shareece Wright for the game-winning touchdown against San Diego on Sunday. At 6'3", 225 pounds, Gordon doesn’t have that elite, second gear either, but he gashed the Vikings for 146 yards and a touchdown. He showed he can stretch the field when corners bite on a double move. On his 47-yard touchdown catch, Gordon showed he can break tackles after the catch.

San Francisco WR Anquan Boldin (6'1", 220) and Arizona WR Larry Fitzgerald (6'3", 218) posted below-average 40 times leading up to their respective drafts, but they have enjoyed productive careers because they know how to throw their weight round. They are physical route runners who use their strength to separate and make plays in traffic.

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
good article. our staff has to look and put the plays in to get some miss matches somewhere. It would be nice to put our players/coaches name in there where the bold is... :cheese:

V3

Hall of Fame
I totally agree with you but I think it's above the abilities of Schotty and I'm not sure the O-line is up to the task, either. Run blocking has been bad in every game including preseason. The only way to do anything in the running game, IMO, is to run it to the outside because our interior lineman just aren't physically able to do it. They're either too old, too weak or both. I'm not sure our passing game will open the running game because teams have already decided they're going to defend against the pass and not even worry about the run and we still couldn't do anything in the run game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
V3 said:
I totally agree with you but I think it's above the abilities of Schotty and I'm not sure the O-line is up to the task, either. Run blocking has been bad in every game including preseason. The only way to do anything in the running game, IMO, is to run it to the outside because our interior lineman just aren't physically able to do it. They're either too old, too weak or both. I'm not sure our passing game will open the running game because teams have already decided they're going to defend against the pass and not even worry about the run and we still couldn't do anything in the run game.

Pitch it out to Austin a few times and the fucking safeties won't be more than 12 yards from the LOS, at the most.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Even if Brian did get involved he'll be used on drag routes when he should be going on deep ins and posts, using his strength to his advantage.

I honestly don't think it's that hard...

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What's holding him back is blitz reads and route adjustment. At this point it doesn't matter. Just give him a predetermined route tree.
He's not going to get better till he plays more.
And if management knows he's a bust just suck it up and move on.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yamahopper said:
What's holding him back is blitz reads and route adjustment. At this point it doesn't matter. Just give him a predetermined route tree.
He's not going to get better till he plays more.
And if management knows he's a bust just suck it up and move on.

:plus1:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Ya know I was beating the same drum a couple weeks ago, but then Quick started dropping passes. I think th ewhole team is haveing concentration problems. They're probably distracted by the playcalling... IDK

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Shotty having so much young excellent college talent placed in his control from the last two NFL drafts ....Just take a look @ these high drafted players just for him...
#1-#8- WR/RB- Austin
#2-#33-WR-Quick
#2-#50-RB-Pead
#3-#-92-WR- Bailey
#4-#96-WR-Givens

Plus throw $$ UFA non blocking TE Jared Cook who should never have the position TIGHT END next to his name ...just change it to Wide Receiver & let it go. ...

Shotty ..is CLUELESS on what do with some much GOLD Ram investments.

I have no hope that he can utilize the talents of Quick as the most of the other 31 NFL teams could. :hmph:

Or it has to be this .....these high drafted players are bordering & falling in on being very poor draft choices. What is it?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
BonifayRam said:
With Shotty having so much young excellent college talent placed in his control from the last two NFL drafts ....Just take a look @ these high drafted players just for him...
#1-#8- WR/RB- Austin
#2-#33-WR-Quick
#2-#50-RB-Pead
#3-#-92-WR- Bailey
#4-#96-WR-Givens

Plus throw $$ UFA non blocking TE Jared Cook who should never have the position TIGHT END next to his name ...just change it to Wide Receiver & let it go. ...

Shotty ..is CLUELESS on what do with some much GOLD Ram investments.

I have no hope that he can utilize the talents of Quick as the most of the other 31 NFL teams could. :hmph:

Or it has to be this .....these high drafted players are bordering & falling in on being very poor draft choices. What is it?

If Schotty doesn't get it together soon, I'll be on the bandwagon to fire him. How much worse could Sam and Co. learning another new offense be compared to what we're seeing now? I say at worst the same because we're on the bottum now.

nighttrain

Legend
All during practices and and even into preseason i kept hearing from various sources how good Quick looked on "Dig" routes, what happened to them". To far down the field for the OL to keep Sam up? Lets start rolling him left and right
train