Time to be serious about our QB situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Moving forward. What do we do at QB?

• Nothing to worry about. Stay faithful to Sam Bradford and hope he lasts the season?

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • A fresh start. Trade him out to another team? A fresh start may be the best for both parties.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Bring in a FA. Keep Sam, pick up someone in FA to compete for the starting role?

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Draft high. Keep Sam, try and draft a QB, high in the draft to compete?

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Belt & Braces. Restructure Sam's contract, pick up a QB in FA and draft high.

Votes: 56 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A healthy Bradford is the only way this team is a viable playoff contender in 2015. I hate the idea of taking Winston he is Jamarcus Russell II no thanks. Marriota might be good enough to compete in 2016 but do the Rams have someone who can develop him? Hundley in the second round again who develops him? Kurt Warner?? There is no FA QB on the market I would want either but you have to have someone at #2. Trade? Depends on what it would cost no one is going to help the Rams with a decent trade option.

OJM

UDFA
At this point, we need a healthy body at quarterback. If we had that in the last two seasons, I think the record would've had 2-3 more wins.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I do not think that QB Sam Bradford will take a pay cut why would he? Sam could easily be extended & restructure so Sam does not loose $$$ in the long run. So Sam is one of our QB's.

Our most recent trade partner in Tampa, with Lovie have the the opportunity to get the top QB of their choice in the draft is the place to start in getting serious. Lovie's should be solid set with his vet Josh & young gun Jameis @ QB then 3rd stringer Mike Glennon is there for the trade. Lovie has so many needs @ RB, FS, OG & the DL.

Rams are thick in the DL however two of my favorite DL'ers Hayes & Langford will be UFA's in 2016 anyway. Currently Hayes has a cap hit of 4.4 mil & Langford has a 7 mil cap hit that gives Rams a 2015 NEW cap savings of 11.5 million. Both would be instant veteran HEALTHY starters forming a stout big Buc DL. Lovie get two outstanding super class acts that he loves to begin his new era in Tampa. His DL goes from weak to stout & good:
DE- Hayes
DT- McCoy
DT- Langford
DE- Johnson
Rams can add RB Zac Stacy to form a 3 for 1 trade for QB Mike Glennon. Glennon cost is a little bit over what Stacy's will plus Mike is will not be a UFA until 2017.

Yes the Rams will miss those two DL'ers our third DE & our 3rd DT but Rams will not have the cap $$ to sign them in 2016 anyway so they will be gone. Fact is Rams organization has major chunks of cap tied up in the DL now. 30 mil in 2015 in Long & Quinn alone! That's serious. Rams must free up cap $$$ to attack the 17 UFA's in 2016 anyway ASAP. I would get Michael Brockers new contract done early then start on Greg Zuerlein, Janoris Jenkins, Bryan Quick, Mark Barron, Benny Cunningham & Trumaine Johnson to name a few.

Rams have Five reserve DL'ers under contract in 2015 to go with the four first round starters. Veteran 28 yr/5 Eugene Sims, 23/2 old Ethan Westbrooks & 26/2 yr Mason Brodine. Rams have 27 yr/2 Doug Worthington & 25 yr/3 Matt Conrath behind Langford. All Snead would need to do is draft a low cost NT type.

Both Bradford 6-5 & Glennon 6-6 are very similar type QB's being pocket passers so the Offense can work the same no matter who is taking the snap. Then draft a rookie Shane Carden type QB in the 5th rd for the 3rd QB along with a Austin Davis as the 4th. Then reassess after 2015 season concludes & regroup to tinker if more is needed.

Wow those 3 in a trade for a 3rd string QB Glennon?? I wold not mind 2 of those guys going but that certainly seems to be a reach with the Rams losing much more value than they gain

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow those 3 in a trade for a 3rd string QB Glennon?? I wold not mind 2 of those guys going but that certainly seems to be a reach with the Rams losing much more value than they gain

Does 11.5 million extra in cap funds have value blackbart ?

What could that 11.5 mil in cap funds be used for instead? Starting OL'ers not reserve DL'ers?

Rams will be loosing them anyway after this season with nothing in return in value. A lot of our own ROD mocks have us releasing Kendall Langford just for the millions in cap savings alone with nothing in return. Tampa will assume their salaries. Stacy is a 3rd string RB now and may fall behind our 4th string RB Watts due to Watts abilities as a pass catcher & being a ST ace. Hayes will be a 30 yr old reserve. Langford is also a reserve. Our biggest issue is we need a decent young healthy back up QB with some starting experience who can fill in quickly when Sam can't. Have any other QB's in mind?

I know pickings are slim:(

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The last three options in the poll don't read that differently.

Anyway, last season included Bradford, S.Hill, A.Davis, C.Keenum and Gilbert. Those were the QB pieces in play. I think we can all agree that didn't work out.

My simple plan is to go into this training camp with Bradford, a high draft choice(Rds 1 thru 3), a young QB via inexpensive trade who may be available(David Fales for example) and either Shaun Hill or A.Davis. I would prefer Shaun Hill over Davis.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a tricky situation.

1. A healthy Sam Bradford makes us a playoff contender
2. At #10, we are close enough to trade up. Next year - I hope not
3. I'm only interested in Mariota or Winston. So...
4. I don't know what the hell to do

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Draft a couple stud OLinemen sign one
Sign DeMarco Murray and hand the ball off fifty times a game.

Com'on man DeMarco has a laundry list of injuries. This season durability wise was a fluke end of story boyz!!! Good rb, yes but not even worth a look from Rams HQ!!!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Got a better idea Boyz?
This year's draft is deep and talented w/ rbs, why spend $$$ on injury prone D. Murray? Why add to an injury prone line-up? Build the OL (add 3 new starters plus 2 more solid back ups). I'm rolling w/ #8 though add a qb in draft that can push him in mid rd.

Might have to trade down twice to add some day 2 picks to fix OL and add LB & S...Dare I say skip the QB this draft like what Les said.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
This year's draft is deep and talented w/ rbs, why spend $$$ on injury prone D. Murray? Why add to an injury prone line-up? Build the OL (add 3 new starters plus 2 more solid back ups). I'm rolling w/ #8 though add a qb in draft that can push him in mid rd.

Might have to trade down twice to add some day 2 picks to fix OL and add LB & S...Dare I say skip the QB this draft like what Les said.
So he can never rip our ass a new one, ever again...

OJM

UDFA

if you don't draft a new starter at quarterback, then you might as well say goodbye to Snead and Fisher after the draft. They would deserve to be fired for putting this team in a bad situation again. You either enjoy losing or have an ill will for the rams, if you go into another season with Sam as your only starting option again.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't kid yourself. Both of them will be "projects" for 2015 at least.

I hear what you're saying, and I totally agree, what I was trying to say was that below both those guys, everyone else seems to be a 5th/6th round talent this year

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Does 11.5 million extra in cap funds have value blackbart ?

What could that 11.5 mil in cap funds be used for instead? Starting OL'ers not reserve DL'ers?

Rams will be loosing them anyway after this season with nothing in return in value. A lot of our own ROD mocks have us releasing Kendall Langford just for the millions in cap savings alone with nothing in return. Tampa will assume their salaries. Stacy is a 3rd string RB now and may fall behind our 4th string RB Watts due to Watts abilities as a pass catcher & being a ST ace. Hayes will be a 30 yr old reserve. Langford is also a reserve. Our biggest issue is we need a decent young healthy back up QB with some starting experience who can fill in quickly when Sam can't. Have any other QB's in mind?

I know pickings are slim:(
I'm good with moving all three of them but not in the same deal for a back up QB that we hope will never play a down. My contention is that those three players for that QB is over paying and not getting good value in return.

BadCompany

Rookie
if you don't draft a new starter at quarterback, then you might as well say goodbye to Snead and Fisher after the draft. They would deserve to be fired for putting this team in a bad situation again. You either enjoy losing or have an ill will for the rams, if you go into another season with Sam as your only starting option again.

The problem seems to be that there don't appear to be any guaranteed starters available in this draft. It's one thing to draft a quarterback you think can be a starter, it's quite another to draft a quarterback that you DON'T think can start in this league, but you're hoping for some sort of miracle, or that your scouts have horribly misjudged talent. Which is a whole other issue.

You have to trust your scouts I guess. If they say you're looking at the next Christian Ponder then you have no choice but to pass, no matter how badly you need a QB. It's just a waste otherwise.

As for trading down, I'm against it this year. Stay high and get talent. I want the best offensive lineman available, not the 4th and 5th.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
So who is that draftable "starter" who can beat out Bradford in TC?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We keep Sam, but trade for someone like Mike Glennon because I would be shocked if Foles or Brees will even be available and draft a QB if you like his potential. Grayson, Carden or Bridge.
This is my guess as to what will happen.

Trying to start a rookie is not going to work, IMO.

The starter is either Bradford or someone decent who has started elsewhere and might be better than Bradford... might be.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Upgrade the offensive line through both free agency and the draft and ...

PUT ME IN COACH!