Time for Rams to Produce: Strauss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Time for Rams to produce
• JOE STRAUSS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_ed108c90-45c7-54c3-9ca9-5a768f14b67d.html

It’s time.

It’s been more than 26 months since the laughingstock Rams uttered a straight line by announcing Jeff Fisher as head coach and Les Snead as general manager. The hires were celebrated in circles that long had cackled over a dysfunctional franchise’s back-biting, ineptitude and naivete. After consecutive botched experiments involving novice head coaches, the Rams could place a Super Bowl coach and his creative accomplice near chief operating officer Kevin Demoff, a Dartmouth-educated fast-riser rated among the NFL’s next wave of power brokers.

Fisher’s first two years saw him make do with transitional defensive coordinators. The transition supposedly ended with the recent hire of the familiar and notorious Gregg Williams, the guy who allegedly made it rain in New Orleans for quarterback take-out.

Fifth-year quarterback Sam Bradford projects ready for the 2014 season opener after requiring mid-season surgery to repair his left knee.

We’re told left tackle Jake Long should return from his wrecked knee by Week 4, perhaps Week 1.

Taking the Rams at their word, they’re again a functional, adult franchise capable of walking the streets within the bad-ass NFC West.

Training wheels are no longer offered here. Trophies are for winning, not mere participation. Three years into the process, it’s time for hardware, not orange slices and postgame Slurpee runs.

The franchise is past apologizing for the endless Linehan and Spagnuolo learning curves and an acrid roster constructed without direction.

It’s time.

It’s time for even a soft market to move past comparing the current regime with its overmatched predecessors. Fisher and Snead deserve recognition for elevating the Rams from punching bags to seven wins in 2012 and 2013 while filling the locker room with the league’s youngest roster. Swell. And Fisher turned a potential disaster into a face-saving 7-9 last season despite losing Bradford in the seventh game. Kudos.

This regime has performed ably enough that its point of reference should be the progress it achieved rather than the non-competitive moonscape it inherited.

According to the regime’s own blueprint 2014 is to represent something more: a breakout, a leap from the shadows of a muscular division into its center ring. The emphasis should turn to The Now.

Three days into free agency, the Rams have returned two of their own, guard Rodger Saffold and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Saffold’s return is an odyssey unto itself with the Rams expressing faith in the soundness of a player the Oakland Raiders dumped following a team physical. Dunbar rarely played on passing downs and represents a third backer.

So far, so good in getting (some of) the band back together. The natives are justifiably restless. They want a fresh talent before the draft. They thirst for immediate impact, not just development.

For two years patience has been a virtue. The Rams have held to the long view while mixing in familiar free agents. They’ve congratulated themselves on drafts featuring quality through quantity.

Those paying attention realize the Rams were vulnerable in the secondary and pedestrian at skill positions last season. Fisher tried to shorten games with ground-and-pound offense. A manic pass rush became the rule more than the exception. Defensive end Robert Quinn became a supernova. Rookie Zac Stacy came within a wisp of 1,000 rushing yards despite waiting until Week 5 for his first start.

So a fan base long told to wait is allowed to ask what’s under the Christmas tree. It’s OK to survey an offensive line taken apart by injury and free agency and wonder who will protect a quarterback required to play the rest of his career in a brace.

The fear here is that the Rams will survey what they’ve done the past two years and insert another verse in The Same Old Song by asking for more time, more patience.

In the aftermath of releasing the overpaid and injured Cortland Finnegan, the Rams’ reluctance to pursue free agent cornerback Alterraun Verner seems odd. Verner is age-appropriate (25) and went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at a cap-friendly price ($24.5 million over 4 years). Demoff insisted Tuesday the front office is reactive to its coaching staff, implying that his new defensive coordinator did not see Verner as a ready fit for a philosophy reliant on press coverage rather than a Cover-2 scheme.

Demoff voiced support for incumbent corners Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson. But it’s a young, brash group that could also benefit from a more proven commodity, just as the receiving corps could use a signature wideout as it waits for Chris Givens and Brian Quick to fulfill their promise.

Remember, this is a team that allowed a 94.7 passer rating and 8.1 yards per attempt — both in the league’s bottom third — while ranking among league leaders in tough talk. A new stadium may be a separate issue, but it only generates more wear on a market awaiting its first winning season since 2003.

It’s time.

It’s time to take a major step to address the club’s most obvious needs. The draft offers another page in development, which is fine. But this team requires a broader push to move it beyond .500 where it might actually rub against a wild-card berth. This is, after all, the third year of a three-year plan.

Today the Rams announce Saffold’s return to the fold at guard rather than tackle. Familiar faces are welcome, familiar outcomes are not. Fisher’s Rams and their atrophying fan base know what seven wins looks like. They want to see Fisher’s first playoff team since 2008 and lust for his first playoff win since 2003. A year after signing a starting tight end and left tackle, the Rams are again talking development.

Come on, it’s time.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It's hard to argue with some of his points. It is time to start winning. It's time to be feared again!

Alan

Legend
"We’re told left tackle Jake Long should return from his wrecked knee by Week 4, perhaps Week 1."
Perhaps week 1? :ROFLMAO: So it looks like week 4 is their real projected time now. I would not like Saffold to play LOT for 4 or more weeks.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
"We’re told left tackle Jake Long should return from his wrecked knee by Week 4, perhaps Week 1."
Perhaps week 1? :ROFLMAO: So it looks like week 4 is their real projected time now. I would not like Saffold to play LOT for 4 or more weeks.
I read that too. All that I've heard is that he's expected back by game 1. I think if they were afraid he may not make it, then we'll for sure be drafting an OT in round one

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 with his view:
I read that too. All that I've heard is that he's expected back by game 1. I think if they were afraid he may not make it, then we'll for sure be drafting an OT in round one
When not being said by the Rams, all I've heard is scepticism about a week 1 return.

I would hope that a a 4 game difference in start times wouldn't affect the Rams draft strategy. That doesn't strike me as professional way to build a roster for the long term.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Don't forget the line about Bradford playing in a brace,but the "plan" is a five year plan,or that's the length of Fishers contract,not a three,minimum four.
Don't get me wrong,I think we push into the 9 or more win strata this year as long as Sam stays healthy,but if we go into this year with an o-line unit of FA's and injured guys in order to bolster a wr unit ALL draftees and NONE injured expecting the injured QB and the injured line to be able to get them the ball we may not get to 9,nah I'll just say it we won't get to 9 and we'll waste all the talent we have at wr.

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy reading my mind:
Don't forget the line about Bradford playing in a brace,but the "plan" is a five year plan,or that's the length of Fishers contract,not a three,minimum four.
Don't get me wrong,I think we push into the 9 or more win strata this year as long as Sam stays healthy,but if we go into this year with an o-line unit of FA's and injured guys in order to bolster a wr unit ALL draftees and NONE injured expecting the injured QB and the injured line to be able to get them the ball we may not get to 9,nah I'll just say it we won't get to 9 and we'll waste all the talent we have at wr.
Yeah, I'm right there with you and I'm afraid that's what will happen. Getting Saffold back was crucial. Having him stay healthy is even more crucial.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
When not being said by the Rams, all I've heard is scepticism about a week 1 return.

I would hope that a a 4 game difference in start times wouldn't affect the Rams draft strategy. That doesn't strike me as professional way to build a roster for the long term.

Is this statement your way of endorsing the idea of trading up (offering at least 2&13) to the number one spot to ensure the Rams can select Sammy Watkins?

Bold strategy sir.

jap

Legend

It can affect the draft strategy slightly. As we get closer to Draft Weekend, it will be clearer how soon Big Bad Jake projects to start safely. If his preferred start time is Week Four, it might be more prudent to draft Jake Matthews, who can be groomed for starting LT duties for Week One. Alternatively, Beetlejuice can be used as the LT until Long is ready, but that would mean pulling him out of his more natural guard duties. Coach Bou might decide Greg Robinson can be ready for LT by Week One . . . or not. I defer to his expert judgement on which of these blue chip rookie tackles are in the best long term interests of the Rams.

jap

Legend

I agree that the time for continuing to work with a patchwork OL is past---not when there is a golden opportunity to restock the OL with solid anchors. Orlando Pace and Adam Timmermann anchored the left & right sides of the GSOT Horns. Beetlejuice (and possibly an able backup) can be our right side anchor. The left side has to sorted out between Jake Long and one of the rookie tackle candidates, Robinson or Matthews. Let Coach Bou get some blue chip personnel to work with for once!

Alan

Legend
MerlinJones impressed by my audacity:
Is this statement your way of endorsing the idea of trading up (offering at least 2&13) to the number one spot to ensure the Rams can select Sammy Watkins?

Bold strategy sir.
Plus next year's first rounder if necessary. I'm all in on this. It's that important.

My only worry is that all the naysayers like RFIP, and tbux will band together to try and thwart my plans. We must remain constantly vigilant. Are you with me sir? Do you have my back on this?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It can affect the draft strategy slightly. As we get closer to Draft Weekend, it will be clearer how soon Big Bad Jake projects to start safely. If his preferred start time is Week Four, it might be more prudent to draft Jake Matthews, who can be groomed for starting LT duties for Week One. Alternatively, Beetlejuice can be used as the LT until Long is ready, but that would mean pulling him out of his more natural guard duties. Coach Bou might decide Greg Robinson can be ready for LT by Week One . . . or not. I defer to his expert judgement on which of these blue chip rookie tackles are in the best long term interests of the Rams.

I would also be open to the idea that WHEN Lake Long comes back IF Matthews is doing well at the position you move Jake Long to guard unless the guy there is dominating,IMO this is Long's last year with us and we are keeping him for insurance.

Alan

Legend
jap continuing to ignore the bigger priorities:
I question the whole "Jake Long Solution" concept. I don't believe his availability for game 1 or 4 should play any part in our decision making process. The Rams should be looking solely at what's best for the Rams in the long term. Long's availability for game "whatever" should be handled by Boo and Fish using a short tern solution. IMO.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Plus next year's first rounder if necessary. I'm all in on this. It's that important.

My only worry is that all the naysayers like RFIP, and tbux will band together to try and thwart my plans. We must remain constantly vigilant. Are you with me sir? Do you have my back on this?

We may be the two lone voices of reason on this issue, but I'm with you.

Onward and upward!

Alan

Legend
I'm thinking about a secret handshake cause I've always wanted one. Pick which one you like best but don't tell me because it's, you know, secret. :)
secret-handshake-smiley-emoticon.gif
friendship-handshake-smiley-emoticon.gif
funny-strong-hand-shaking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I question the whole "Jake Long Solution" concept. I don't believe his availability for game 1 or 4 should play any part in our decision making process. The Rams should be looking solely at what's best for the Rams in the long term. Long's availability for game "whatever" should be handled by Boo and Fish using a short tern solution. IMO.
We may be the two lone voices of reason on this issue, but I'm with you.

Onward and upward!

Well let one of the "unreasonable" voices be heard here, the short term and long term interests don't have to be mutually exclusive,to ignore EITHER is imprudent, to serve both simultaneously is IMO the best way to go.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I think that builds well for the Matthews camp. He's a plug and play LT. I still want Robinson, though. Too much upside for me to settle on. Besides, we need to help Stacy as much as we need to help Bradford.

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with stuff:
Stuff.
If the realization that Long's ability to stay healthy is a huge ongoing question mark is part of your long term strategy, then you're already planning for both.

And yes, you're correct, you are a voice of "unreasonableness".

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Well let one of the "unreasonable" voices be heard here, the short term and long term interests don't have to be mutually exclusive,to ignore EITHER is imprudent, to serve both simultaneously is IMO the best way to go.

If what you're saying is that it would make sense to select an offensive (and they are offensive) lineman and protect our quarterback instead of trading multiple picks this year and next to ensure that the Rams can draft a receiver so explosive that his parents should have named Nitroglycerine BlastingCaps Watkins then you sir are most certainly "unreasonable".