Time For Rams To Invest Draft Capital In Ol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6109/time-for-rams-to-invest-draft-capital-in-ol

ncf_u_matthews1x_576x324.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY SportsA player the caliber of Jake Matthews could help solidify the Rams' offensive line.

INDIANAPOLIS -- In nearly two decades as an NFL head coach, a Jeff Fisher-led team has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round.

It’s a streak that should come to an end in 2014.

The St. Louis Rams might have individual spots more in need of help but there’s no position group requiring more attention across the board than the offensive line.

The Rams started the 2013 season with an offensive line of (from left to right) Jake Long,Chris Williams, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold.

By the end of the year, the Rams had started seven different line combinations and that doesn’t include in-game adjustments made to account for injuries.

It would be easy for the Rams to lean on the tried and true methods of draft and develop that have been tenets of Fisher’s coaching years. Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has a reputation for taking late-round picks or undrafted free agents and molding them into productive or better NFL starters.

Boudreau did just that in 2013, despite all the aforementioned moving parts. The Rams finished tied for 14th in the league in sacks allowed per dropback, giving up a sack on 6.5 percent of those attempts. That, despite facing three of the top-seven defenses in the league a total of six times.

“He did an outstanding job,” Fisher said. “We didn't track how many combinations of guys and who was playing where, but there were a lot of people playing. It was a good group. He puts together a really unique group in the classroom and they enjoy working together. They get close. They’re very disciplined and, for all intents and purposes, each one of them really wants to come back, which is good.”

The reality is, however, that it’s unlikely they all return.

When the 2014 season begins, it’s a possibility the Rams could have as many as five new names in place on the offensive line. That’s because Williams and Saffold are scheduled for unrestricted free agency, Wells and Dahl are potential salary-cap casualties and Long is recovering from a torn ACL and MCL.

Fortunately for the Rams, if ever there was a time to revamp the offensive line through the draft, this is it. The team holds two picks in the first round: Nos. 2 and 13.

According to one AFC scout, Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews are top-five caliber talents. But that doesn’t mean the Rams would have to pursue one of them with their second overall selection. The same scout believes as many as four offensive tackles, adding Michigan’s Taylor Lewan and Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio, could go in the top 15, which means the Rams could wait and address the position at No. 13.

As always, the draft is about finding a way to marry need and value. While many believe South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is clearly the best player in the draft, two scouts believe Robinson and Matthews aren’t far behind.

While Fisher’s streak of not drafting linemen in the first round is worth noting, it also doesn’t tell the whole story and assumes he was making all the decisions with the Titans.

In 18 NFL drafts, Fisher teams have drafted 23 offensive linemen. Two of those came in the second round and two came in the third. Then-line coach Mike Munchak also made a habit of developing picks lower on the totem pole.

Of course, Fisher’s Titans/Oilers teams also never found themselves with the pressing needs the Rams figure to have on the offensive line, either.

Brad Hopkins held down one tackle spot from 1993 to 2005 and Bruce Matthews was an All-Pro guard and center for the franchise from 1983-2001.

When Fisher’s team did need to fortify the line, it often did so through free agency, adding the likes of Fred Miller, Wells and, most recently, Long.

Boudreau has done fine with linemen of all shapes, sizes and ability, but considering what the Rams are going to see from the front sevens in the NFC West for the foreseeable future, it’s time to start investing some draft capital that doesn’t require the Rams to go shopping for new linemen seemingly every offseason.

That could mean drafting a tackle in the first round, adding to the interior in the second round or any number of possible combinations. Much will depend on what becomes of Saffold, who is the Rams’ top priority to retain in free agency.

In his day-after-the-season news conference, Fisher said the Rams needed to score more points to be more competitive in 2014, particularly against the likes of San Francisco, Seattle and Arizona. Three of the four tackles to land on the All-Pro team in 2013, were first-round picks.

The Rams can probably get by with drafting and developing lower-ranked offensive linemen, but against the dominant defenses in the NFC West, getting by simply isn't good enough

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I agree that we need to draft some good linemen. I just don't agree we need to spend that first pick on a left tackle playing out of position for who knows how long. Let's get a new left tackle when we need one, and drafts guards and right tackle at their proper draft positions to fill those holes.

F. Mulder

Starter
The whole OL thing for me is based on the assumed trade down and getting an additional first round pick. IF that happens then I'm all in for someone like a Watkins and an OL as well as the assumed additional first rounder which could be a pure BPA (e.g. DB/LB?). Without the trade down there is nobody I want at #2 unless they pull the trigger on Clowney but then we lose out on Watkins and possibly the top 2 OL by the time we get back to #13.

I do expect them to come out of this draft with as few as 2 OL drafted and possibly 3. One guy getting some mention as going to the Rams is Lewan. I have to admit I'm not a fan of his (at least at #13).

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The whole OL thing for me is based on the assumed trade down and getting an additional first round pick. IF that happens then I'm all in for someone like a Watkins and an OL as well as the assumed additional first rounder which could be a pure BPA (e.g. DB/LB?). Without the trade down there is nobody I want at #2 unless they pull the trigger on Clowney but then we lose out on Watkins and possibly the top 2 OL by the time we get back to #13.

I do expect them to come out of this draft with as few as 2 OL drafted and possibly 3. One guy getting some mention as going to the Rams is Lewan. I have to admit I'm not a fan of his (at least at #13).

I just don't know about Lewan. He certainly passes the eye test. And he's got a nasty streak. If they pick him then you know Boudreau is behind it. If so, then I'm ok with it.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

I have to think a trade down of some sort is a given. There's way too much interest in Clowney and the QBs to not be able to trade down.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I have to think a trade down of some sort is a given. There's way too much interest in Clowney and the QBs to not be able to trade down.
Definitely agree with this. We should be targeting guards like Yankey, Jackson and Su'a-Filo after trading down.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Waiting for the free agent period to see what we need! If no good comes of it, then I'm gungho for 1st round o tackle.

tonyl711

Starter
IMO theres no way we are picking second, hopefully it will be 4th and Clowney is still there and we trade to 6. anyway I think you go Oline in the second and third rounds, with even one trade down we should come away with a second rounder which would mean we would have 4 picks in the top 45, 5 picks in the top 77, you should be able to pick up a couple quality Ol in those 2nd and 3rd picks. Saffold is key, but with the salary cap raised by 7 million I think we resign him.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Would love to see multiple picks in which the rams acquire more 2nd round picks. Would love to get the brown's 26th pick then trade down to Minnesota or even Detroit at 10 for another 2nd round pick. If Detroit is the final push down, select the top CB available then select the top Safety at 13 if the rams can't trade out of that one. With the 3 2nd round picks draft OG, OL, LB. Crazy crazy lol.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I agree that we need to draft some good linemen. I just don't agree we need to spend that first pick on a left tackle playing out of position for who knows how long. Let's get a new left tackle when we need one, and drafts guards and right tackle at their proper draft positions to fill those holes.
My concern here is that we need a LT to start the 2014 season. I have serious questions about Long being ready for game 1. Even if he is, given his recent injury history, what are the chances of him playing 16 games. He has not been able to do that for the last 3 years.

So, if Long can't start, or heaven forbid, finish the 2014 season, don't we need one now?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
My concern here is that we need a LT to start the 2014 season. I have serious questions about Long being ready for game 1. Even if he is, given his recent injury history, what are the chances of him playing 16 games. He has not been able to do that for the last 3 years.

So, if Long can't start, or heaven forbid, finish the 2014 season, don't we need one now?

Agreed. I've been banging this drum for a Long time now. Preferably we can add an OT that can fill in at LT if Long misses any games and who has the versatility to bump inside to guard when Long returns. Then they can start at LT in 2015 when we cut Long. Robinson, Matthews, Martin come to mind

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If anyone can break the mold of Fisher not drafting a first round OL it's Matthews. It just makes sense.

He has the versatility along multiple positions that Fisher loves. He also has a connection to Fisher.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I agree with this and don't understand how anyone can think we are ok depending on Long for 2014 or the future. His contract is not guaranteed after this year and we should be aware that given a playoff run we are not going to be in position to draft a blue chip LOT in the near future. I still think Matthews is the guy who can start right away, protect Sam from anywhere on the OL and take over at LOT when not if needed.

Robinson and his question marks in pass pro worry me but if Boudreau thinks he can make it work I'll be happy with him too. Anyone besides those two and I think we are settling for less than premium talent at a position that needs the best in our division.

Matthews round 1 Gabe Jackson round 2 would go a long way toward fixing the OL for the next 5-7 years.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

From all indications, Long will be ready for Week 1, or very close to it. If there's a big concern that he's done, then I'd agree with you. But there's no indication of that.

You don't spend a top ten pick on "maybe we'll need this" and leave the guy you don't have behind while the top pick plays guard for who knows how long.