Time for a plan B

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Fair enough.

BUT basicly, if Houston doesn't want Clowney and they are happy with either QB, they COULD trade with Rams, Jags, or Browns and lose nothing. After that it's a gamble. BUT if some coach shits the bed and offers an RG3 like trade, say Atlanta, does Houston go for it? Do they covet that QB so much they won't take an RG3 type deal?

I have little doubt that if sombody offers houston a deal like we got for RG3 that there gonna take it and run with it. The QBs in next years draft are better anyway and I think they can bounce back with Fitz playing QB for them assuming there D starts playing like they should and Foster still has some good years left.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Laugh out loud and then tell them to get off the line and let's serious bidders talk about the #2 overall selection.
IMO, the Rams should take Clowney at #2 overall. But, no way in hell should they trade up for him.

So hes a 2 but not a 2 plus a 5th and 7th where Rams have extra picks?

That's where I think I'm right. IF, and that's a big IF, Snisher sees him as the most coveted player and worthy of a 2, then he's a 2 overall and a 5th and 7th rounder. Why? Because it's a lock and it's cheap. No need to worry about who Houston will take, Rams have Clowney, another 1st rounder, and 8 more picks beyond that.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have little doubt that if sombody offers houston a deal like we got for RG3 that there gonna take it and run with it. The QBs in next years draft are better anyway and I think they can bounce back with Fitz playing QB for them assuming there D starts playing like they should and Foster still has some good years left.

Right, me too. So if they like the top two QBs, and the Jags or Browns offer a trade or another team offers a huge bounty, Houston trades for sure in my mind and Clowney is off the board. Otherwise they take Clowney or they can't get the trade and they take a QB.

I don't see them not getting the trade. Not with the performance of Clowney at the combine and pro day and all the talk. The dude is undeniably a beast even if you have question marks. Right or wrong, someone is going to take a shot at him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So hes a 2 but not a 2 plus a 5th and 7th where Rams have extra picks?

That's where I think I'm right. IF, and that's a big IF, Snisher sees him as the most coveted player and worthy of a 2, then he's a 2 overall and a 5th and 7th rounder. Why? Because it's a lock and it's cheap. No need to worry about who Houston will take, Rams have Clowney.

Perhaps, if the team didn't have Long and Quinn, you pull the trigger. I'd save those selection for either players or other trade options after the #2 overall selection.

RamzFanz, I think that you are putting far more value towards a Pro Day than actual NFL teams. Clowney didn't do anything most that have scouted him didn't already know he could do.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Perhaps, if the team didn't have Long and Quinn, you pull the trigger. I'd save those selection for either players or other trade options after the #2 overall selection.

RamzFanz, I think that you are putting far more value towards a Pro Day than actual NFL teams. Clowney didn't do anything most that have scouted him didn't already know he could do.

Clowneys been the consensous #1 over all player in the country since the draft last year. nothing has changed hes still a freak and the best Defensive prospect to come out in many years. How many NFL players can you remember that the year before they were draft eligable people were already saying this guy will be the #1 player in next years draft?? not counting QBs

RamzFanz

Damnit

Yes, but if he had blown it, it would have made their decisions about him much easier. He didn't. He was very impressive by all accounts that I've read.

I agree with you about the value of those picks in another trade, I hadn't weighted that possibility. Good point. A move up from 13 or somewhere else and a 2 could be worth more than a Clowney.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Also, you don't pass on Holt just because you have Bruce and Proehl. The upside of a Quinn, Clowney, Long line is so high, it's worthy of the risk IMHO. It could be an offense destroying mix. Unstoppable. That line with some man coverage by some decent cover guys and exotic blitz packages could be a show stopper. No one else in the draft offers that IMHO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Assuming Snisher really wants Clowney, what do you do?

In a draft this deep it would be lethal to fall in love with one player, especially at a position where we don't have a need, and give up picks to move down one spot. I would be shocked if the Rams trade up to take him.

My preference is that if the Texans take Clowney that we either deal away that #2 pick or take Matthews. If Clowney is sitting there at #2 and no one's offering us a good deal then we still take Matthews. We need O-line help above everything else. At #13 we take the best CB available.

I wouldn't get depressed if we take Clowney at #2 and then address the OL at #13 but it's not my preference.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Assuming Snisher really wants Clowney, what then?

They're smart enough to know there's other more pressing needs. If Clowney falls to them then that's one thing, but moving up for him? Not a chance they do that. It makes no sense whatsoever.

RamzFanz

Damnit
In a draft this deep it would be lethal to fall in love with one player, especially at a position where we don't have a need, and give up picks to move down one spot. I would be shocked if the Rams trade up to take him.

My preference is that if the Texans take Clowney that we either deal away that #2 pick or take Matthews. If Clowney is sitting there at #2 and no one's offering us a good deal that we still take Matthews. We need O-line help above everything else. At #13 we take the best CB available.

I wouldn't get depressed if we take Clowney at #2 and then address the OL at #13 but it's not my preference.

Deep, yes, but not 5th and 7th round deep. And Rams would still have a 5th and two 7th.

Good points though. I don't agree because like I said elsewhere, you don't pass on Holt because you have Bruce and Proehl. You take the advantages you have available and the biggest advantage the Rams could add, all things considered, is a pass rush that can't be denied.

A good enough secondary and O line can be had at 13 and beyond. A clowney can't be. IMHO

Good discussion. Makes me think.

RamzFanz

Damnit
They're smart enough to know there's other more pressing needs. If Clowney falls to them then that's one thing, but moving up for him? Not a chance they do that. It makes no sense whatsoever.

A second overall is a very rare thing. I don't think you fill holes or be practical, I think you go for the exceptional "once in a decade" player or the big trade. If Clowney isn't exceptional in Snisher's eyes, then I agree. If he is, then I disagree.

Especially as deep this draft is and since there is another first round pick and 10 more picks after that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah, it's a conundrum but a good one to have. It's like being too rich and not knowing what to spend your money on, not that I would know.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, it's a conundrum but a good one to have. It's like being too rich and not knowing what to spend your money on, not that I would know.

Mathews at two is probably my worst case scenario. He's good, he would make an immediate impact, and he's needed, but 2 is too high and I don't hear about a lot of upside. At 2 I'd far rather go for upside and trade up from 13 for practical.

iced

I just can't see the Texans taking a QB straight up. They can basically force a trade on the Rams and still get their QB or they can trade down with a team wanting Clowney and still get a good QB and a bounty of picks.

if the rams can't decide between trading away #2 for a team that wants clowney or if they should just select him right there, then it doesn't make sense that they would move up to get him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me personally, Clowney still has some baggage. The pro day was nice, but I'm not sold he changed much opinion one way or the other.

So... For the Texans, there is risk with the QBs and Clowney. They need a QB, they know Bortles pretty well... I'll be surprised if that's not their pick.

For the Rams, plan B is Mathews... a nice consolation prize at that. (Or write in another name...Robinson, Mack, Watkins).

All that said...

If Clowney makes it to #2 we take him, unless the offers to trade down are good.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No we dont need him but it sure wouldnt be a bad thing to have a legandary Dline because thats exactly what it would be. 20 years from now they would be doing a documentary on the awsomeness of that line. What would be there nickname??
The wall of horns?

RamzFanz

Damnit
if the rams can't decide between trading away #2 for a team that wants clowney or if they should just select him right there, then it doesn't make sense that they would move up to get him.

I'm not assuming they are confused. I think they want Clowney at 2. Anyway, in my scenario, it's an assumption.

iced

I'm not assuming they are confused. I think they want Clowney at 2. Anyway, in my scenario, it's an assumption.

No what I'm saying is if they don't love him so much it's not a slam dunk to take him at #2, then I just wouldn't assume they're gonna give up somethin to get him at #1.