Tim Walton - The Problem?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A55VA6 said:
i just hate the defense. I loved watching this defense last year, but this year I can't stand watching it.

Vag there are safety issues and so the corners are playing off from what I've read and heard. This makes sense because they need to keep the ball in front of them.

This was a good loss if there is such a thing.

Graphicker

Starter
It's just so hard to believe we're this bad though.. He's being handed to keys to a Ferrari yet he's treating it like a Doom Buggy as smashing it to anything he sees while being intoxicated. Small sample size as I stated but it leaves you cringing. Kinda reminds you of what Norv Turner did with that super talented Chargers team.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I don't believe Walton is to blame becuase of 2 reasons.

1. We played thus same soft zone last year

2. This may be debatable but we are not playing with fire like we did last year... Remember who bring the fire to our D last year on the field? It was jo-lan dunbar.

Even though we will get carved to shreds every week if we continue playing this soft zone, Dunbar is the guy that fired the D up. No one else, not long, not Quinn, not jl55.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
fastcat said:
I don't believe Walton is to blame becuase of 2 reasons.

1. We played thus same soft zone last year

2. This may be debatable but we are not playing with fire like we did last year... Remember who bring the fire to our D last year on the field? It was jo-lan dunbar.

Even though we will get carved to shreds every week if we continue playing this soft zone, Dunbar is the guy that fired the D up. No one else, not long, not Quinn, not jl55.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Eh, I agree Dunbar brought a spark, but Long and J-Lau do that when they play well. That's a symptom too though, Long has been hobbled, and Laurinaitis has been off his game. The past two weeks he's been out of position at times and made some bad reads. I like our chances to turn it around if we can get some consistent pressure from both ends.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Jeff Fisher has been coaching in the NFL longer than most of our team has been alive. I'm pretty sure if there was a problem with Tim Walton he would fix it.

Graphicker

Starter
That's not a valid excuse. Pretty sure Steve Spagnola has forgotten more Football than I will ever learn in my life time.
Pat Shurmer and so on and on.. He had this problem with Chuck Cecil if I recall, He was just too loyal.
Look at the Skins. They are getting destroyed yet Mike sticks with Jimmy Haslett.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's similar to what the defense did early last year.
But what else you going to do?
Last year Rams had a rookie CB, 2 box safeties that couldn't cover a turd in the sahara desert and Finnigan. Plus rooks in the nickle and dime.
This year Rams have a rookie safety, and 2nd year safety who wasn't a starter and missed a good part of the year, Finnigan who is playing below his normal level and a 2nd year CB that likes to gamble and is forced on the opponents #1 wr. plus rookies in the nickle and dime.

You man these guys up to often and they will get exposed against better QB's. As they get more comfortable they will press more and man up more, just like last year.

They also won't play this soft against read option teams.

V3

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Jeff Fisher has been coaching in the NFL longer than most of our team has been alive. I'm pretty sure if there was a problem with Tim Walton he would fix it.

That's where pride comes into play. It's pretty rare for a head coach in the NFL to admit they made a mistake. I don't see Fisher admitting that the hiring of Walton was a mistake. Even after the season is over.

G-RAM

UDFA
Name
Greg
The Rams played better defensively vs the Falcons..besides the one play to J Jones the coverages were tighter...Fisher is a 4-3 cover 3 base defense, guy. His teams have been torched in the past in Tennessee. Fisher relies on a front 4 to get pressure without blitzing and personnel to do their job in the scheme.

I love what Fisher is doing with the team, but he is what he is..he aint changing. Im not a huge fan of his scheme, but Im a fan of him as a coach, now...so I accept his shortcomings for now

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
G-RAM said:
The Rams played better defensively vs the Falcons..besides the one play to J Jones the coverages were tighter...Fisher is a 4-3 cover 3 base defense, guy. His teams have been torched in the past in Tennessee. Fisher relies on a front 4 to get pressure without blitzing and personnel to do their job in the scheme.

I love what Fisher is doing with the team, but he is what he is..he aint changing. Im not a huge fan of his scheme, but Im a fan of him as a coach, now...so I accept his shortcomings for now
Yeah, and that man coverage everyone wants to see is what sprung Jones for that long gainer (I saw that replay). There's a reason for everything, and having so many current and former DC's on the team would lend to the theory that they know just a little bit more than we do. Easy to second guess a defensive alignment after it fails to yield the results you want, but execution seems to be the biggest obstacle to making this defense work at the moment, IMO.

G-RAM

UDFA
Name
Greg
X said:
G-RAM said:

Yeah, and that man coverage everyone wants to see is what sprung Jones for that long gainer (I saw that replay). There's a reason for everything, and having so many current and former DC's on the team would lend to the theory that they know just a little bit more than we do. Easy to second guess a defensive alignment after it fails to yield the results you want, but execution seems to be the biggest obstacle to making this defense work at the moment, IMO.

Im taking a stab in the dark here, without a knife when I say this, but Im guessing they are protecting the safeties. who are playing well..so with time hopefully we start praising the defense again..maybe lol?

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we are struggling with man coverage and playing too soft a zone, then we need to play zone but closer to the line of scrimmage. Teams are just throwing screens, flats, all the short routes and making bank on those..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
i just hate the defense. I loved watching this defense last year, but this year I can't stand watching it.

You mean the same defense from last year who gave up the game winning drive against Detroit in the opener? Or the one who got torched by New England & Green Bay.

Common theme?

As was the case against those teams last year, teams with dynamic QBs or BIG WRs (C. Johnson, Gronkowski, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones) this team struggles with.

That being said, it was the BIG PLAY that hurt them today. Not that it was the only play that cost them, but they gave up the LONG TD today, which they haven't done much of. I hate using the "take that play, or this play away" game, but it does have some validity in this case.

The pick SIX and the BIG PLAY from J. Jones, were the difference, plain and simple.

The bend-don't break philosophy works provided they don't give up the homerun like they did today. Today, it WOULD have been good enough.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

You mean the same defense from last year who gave up the game winning drive against Detroit in the opener? Or the one who got torched by New England & Green Bay.

Common theme?

As was the case against those teams last year, teams with dynamic QBs or BIG WRs (C. Johnson, Gronkowski, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones) this team struggles with.

That being said, it was the BIG PLAY that hurt them today. Not that it was the only play that cost them, but they gave up the LONG TD today, which they haven't done much of. I hate using the "take that play, or this play away" game, but it does have some validity in this case.

The pick SIX and the BIG PLAY from J. Jones, were the difference, plain and simple.

The bend-don't break philosophy works provided they don't give up the homerun like they did today. Today, it WOULD have been good enough.

Well last year we seemed to limit scoring and keep the points to a minimum, this year it just seems like we're giving up so many touchdowns. Defense looks worse than it did last year. I just get so frustrated watching this defense. Especially on 3rd down.

bskrilla

Starter
A55VA6 said:
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

Common theme?

Well last year we seemed to limit scoring and keep the points to a minimum, this year it just seems like we're giving up so many touchdowns. Defense looks worse than it did last year. I just get so frustrated watching this defense. Especially on 3rd down.

Last week the D only gave up 17 points. Not a terrible day points wise.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I don't know if it's Walton or not but I don't see the same defense as last year. Luckily we've got some athletes, just seems like were a out of place at times.

had

Rookie
Well, I think Chris Long is hurt, and playing at a significantly reduced effectiveness, and I think this may have a bigger impact than guys realize. Maybe this Walton guy thought his front 4 would wreck the league, and now, not so much. Or?

Rams go down 24-3 at the half. Come storming back. Lose by 7.

We're not so far removed from the abyss where this game feels pretty good. Personally, I'm kind of okay with it, just knowing that we're not getting buried by one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

I'm kind of thinking Atlanta might not be a top 3 team, though.

Too early to say.

It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.

It would appear, to me, that the pre-season was not effectively utilized in preparing this defense.

But I'm wrong so often that I hardly trust my suhlf.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
had said:
Well, I think Chris Long is hurt, and playing at a significantly reduced effectiveness, and I think this may have a bigger impact than guys realize. Maybe this Walton guy thought his front 4 would wreck the league, and now, not so much. Or?

Rams go down 24-3 at the half. Come storming back. Lose by 7.

We're not so far removed from the abyss where this game feels pretty good. Personally, I'm kind of okay with it, just knowing that we're not getting buried by one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

I'm kind of thinking Atlanta might not be a top 3 team, though.

Too early to say.

It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.

It would appear, to me, that the pre-season was not effectively utilized in preparing this defense.

But I'm wrong so often that I hardly trust my suhlf.

Spot on with the Long injury. It makes a huge difference, I'm kind of surprised we didn't see more Hayes to keep him fresh.

Given some time to decompress though, I've got to say that ALL defenses in the NFL are getting absolutely shredded. Only the Chiefs have given up less than 20 over the course of two games. (Of course those bitch Squak/Whiners and Bungle/Steelers still haven't played). So to have given up 41 on defense, though not great, is definitely a symptom of the times in the over-juiced offense era.

Absolutely there is room for improvement, but we all knew there would be growing pains on either side of the ball, and we're still tied for 2nd in the division.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
had said:
[hilite]It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.[/hilite]

I think the only CB we have physical enough to jam big receivers is Tru. Jenkins and Finnegan are too small to try and re-route bigger receivers. What we need to do is play up and take away the shorter routes. I think these guys that can run with anyone, but just not physical enough to jam and re-route.

V3

Hall of Fame
MTRamsFan said:
had said:
[hilite]It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.[/hilite]

I think the only CB we have physical enough to jam big receivers is Tru. Jenkins and Finnegan are too small to try and re-route bigger receivers. What we need to do is play up and take away the shorter routes. I think these guys that can run with anyone, but just not physical enough to jam and re-route.

Jamming WR's at the line used to be Finnegan's strong suit. He's better playing man-D. He's horrible playing off-man.