(Tim) Jenkins wants to make most of opportunity w/Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Joe Lyons
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/qb-jenkins-wants-to-make-most-of-opportunity-with-rams/article_70cabcf6-4bb4-50ef-bb89-bc9e3fe011c8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 011c8.html</a>

WdoyFjW.jpg

For Tim Jenkins, every day at Rams Park is an opportunity to improve. And hopefully a chance to impress.

“At this point, I’m doing a lot more listening than talking,’’ said Jenkins, a rookie free-agent quarterback from Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colo. “I’m just trying to take it all in, to learn as much as I can about playing at this level. To this point, it’s been an incredible experience. I’m just trying to work hard every day, to learn the playbook and to cut down on the mental mistakes.

“This is a great situation for me. The vets have been great, helping me any way they can, and I’ve also learned a ton from (offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti).’’

Jenkins, 22, was limited to six games last season because of injuries but still managed to complete 161 of 301 passes for 1,817 yards with eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. A four-year starter for the Skyhawks, Jenkins finished second in school history in completion percentage (58.3), third in passing yards (8,857) and fourth in touchdown passes (47). He threw for a career-high 501 yards in a 50-21 loss to Colorado State-Pueblo, which was ranked No. 3 among NCAA Division II squads at the time.

“We didn’t win a lot of games, but if you enjoy offensive football, we were a lot of fun to watch,’’ said Jenkins, whose school went 8-34 during his career.

The NFL draft came and went without Jenkins’ name being called.

“My agent prepared me for that, talking mostly about signing as a free agent after the draft. That didn’t happen either, which was a little disappointing,’’ he recalled. “But that next Monday, I got a call saying that the Rams wanted me to come to rookie mini-camp for a tryout.’’

That weekend ended up as a one-on-one battle for a contract between Jenkins and Mitchell Gale, who starred at D-II Abilene (Texas) Christian.

“We roomed together,’’ Jenkins recalled. “Seemed like a great guy, but it was definitely a competition. If he studied the playbook until 11 p.m., I tried to go until at least 11:01, just so I could feel like I had an edge. If you’re going to be a quarterback, especially at this level, you have to be a competitor.

“On the field, it wasn’t like I spent time comparing myself to (Gale), but I definitely came out of the weekend feeling good about the way I performed.’’

That Monday, Jenkins signed a free-agent deal with the Rams. Later in May, Gale signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

Jenkins is one of four quarterbacks on the Rams’ roster along with starter Sam Bradford, veteran Kellen Clemens and second-year player Austin Davis.

“He hasn’t gotten a lot of reps, so it’s hard to say, but he’s looked good in drills and seems to be catching on in meetings,’’ Bradford said of Jenkins. “It’ll be interesting to see how he does once he gets more chances to show what he can do.’’

Jenkins sees his athleticism and competitiveness as his strengths.

“I ran three different offenses in college, but nothing as detailed or complicated as this one,’’ he said. “Everything about the game at this level is so much faster and the defenses are much more advanced. As a quarterback, you have to be able to make the right pre-snap read because the success of the play can depend on it. The playbook has so many variables, but now, as a pro, it’s my job to be able to make those reads and adjustments.

“I still have a lot to learn and I’m spending a lot of my time these days with my playbook. The good thing is, we’re supposed to have everything in the offense installed by the end of the OTAs. That way, I should have everything at my disposal when I go back home and then I can really start working to make sure I’m ready, mentally and physically, to do whatever I can to try and help this football team once training camp starts.’’

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'd like us to drop Kellen Clemens and go with a couple of young guns as back ups.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
I'd like us to drop Kellen Clemens and go with a couple of young guns as back ups.
I wouldn't. I think he's too valuable as a teaching assistant. I'd rather have someone on the sidelines (who's a player) who can see things and relay information that the starters may not be seeing. As long as Austin Davis is #2, then I think we'll both get what we want.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X countered with:
I wouldn't. I think he's too valuable as a teaching assistant. I'd rather have someone on the sidelines (who's a player) who can see things and relay information that the starters may not be seeing. As long as Austin Davis is #2, then I think we'll both get what we want.

I just researched it and I found out he's making the league minimum so I'm OK with him as a mentor. I totally agree with that stuff in blue but if Clemens is there I bet they play him instead of Austin. Which is why I wanted him gone. But yeah, I'd be fine with your proposal too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
At least we'll never have to see Kyle "Super" Boller taking snaps for us again.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Selassie I doing his Bob Hope imitation:

Thanks for the memories. :ragin: :wahhh:

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
+1, Austin has been around us, and I like anybody better than Clemons, just me. But I did like what I saw of this young man on tape, and I believe he has a decent arm and size.
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Far be it from me to snub my nose at any player but I don't get the warm & fuzzy feeling with Jenkins. First off it's a college I have never heard of before and I make it a point to know many of them and he did not do much in his senior year because he was injured.

Clemens knows the offense and is like an extra assistant coach on the sidelines. I know they won't play Clemens over Davis because Fisher has already stated on numerous occaisions that Austin Davis is the number 2 QB and Clemens came back knowing he'd be number 3.

Look my feeling is when you find an Austin Davis for example who has a great body of work and bring him in, I root for guys like that, however, when given the option of Kellen Clemens or some young kid form Fort Lewis College who was injured most of his senior and won a total of 8 games as a signal caller...I'll go with Clemens each & every time and BTW before you start posting away I had heard of Northern Iowa before St. Kurt played there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
Far be it from me to snub my nose at any player but I don't get the warm & fuzzy feeling with Jenkins. First off it's a college I have never heard of before and I make it a point to know many of them and he did not do much in his senior year because he was injured.

Clemens knows the offense and is like an extra assistant coach on the sidelines. I know they won't play Clemens over Davis because Fisher has already stated on numerous occaisions that Austin Davis is the number 2 QB and Clemens came back knowing he'd be number 3.

Look my feeling is when you find an Austin Davis for example who has a great body of work and bring him in, I root for guys like that and, however, when given the option of Kellen Clemens or some young kid form Fort Lewis College who was injured most of his senior and won a total of 8 games as a signal caller...I'll go with Clemens each & every time.
I agree with your assessment of Clemens, coach. But.
By the time you're on your third QB, your season's already screwed anyway (see: 2012 Cardinals). Doesn't matter if it's Clemens, Jenkins, or the HOFer we let go (Thaddeus Lewis). Might as well get him off the PS and see what he can do when you get to that point. However, (knock, knock, knock, knock on wood) that's not gonna happen.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
X countered with:

I just researched it and I found out he's making the league minimum so I'm OK with him as a mentor. I totally agree with that stuff in blue but if Clemens is there I bet they play him instead of Austin. Which is why I wanted him gone. But yeah, I'd be fine with your proposal too.

Seems like i remember something to the effect that Fisher said Austin was going into camp as #2.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey... Leave my Oregon boy Clemens alone.

Seriously though, I think we are far better served at this point with Clemens holding a clip board as the #3 QB than a kid who hasn't seen anything even remotely close to the level of play in the NFL. Young is one thing but even though Clemens is not a great QB, he's not as bad as our offense made him look. He also sees things on the field and relays them to Sam. I'm not that big on the simple thing that he knows the offense. We pay guys to learn the offense. Davis should know it too. But those are veteran eyes and he can actually run that offense in a pinch while providing intel on the sideline during the games.

nighttrain

Legend
den-the-coach said:

Look my feeling is when you find an Austin Davis for example who has a great body of work and bring him in, I root for guys like that, however, when given the option of Kellen Clemens or some young kid form Fort Lewis College who was injured most of his senior and won a total of 8 games as a signal caller...I'll go with Clemens each & every time and BTW before you start posting away I had heard of Northern Iowa before St. Kurt played there.
So make Clemon's asst. QB coach. why not if Austin Davis is #2
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
EastRam with a faint recolection:

Seems like i remember something to the effect that Fisher said Austin was going into camp as #2.

I hope you're remembering that right.

RamFan503 posited:
Seriously though, I think we are far better served at this point with Clemens holding a clip board as the #3 QB than a kid who hasn't seen anything even remotely close to the level of play in the NFL.

nighttrain with the killer point:
So make Clemon's asst. QB coach. why not if Austin Davis is #2

Train basically stole my reply. We have a QB coach (thank you) and an expert coach high in the sky with a birds eye view of the action to assist Sam. I think the veteran QB with (or without) a clip board whispering sweet nothings in Sams ear is highly over rated if it's even worth anything at all.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X nailing it:
I agree with your assessment of Clemens, coach. But.
By the time you're on your third QB, your season's already screwed anyway (see: 2012 Cardinals). Doesn't matter if it's Clemens, Jenkins, or the HOFer we let go (Thaddeus Lewis). Might as well get him off the PS and see what he can do when you get to that point. However, (knock, knock, knock, knock on wood) that's not gonna happen.
:plus1:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
EastRam with a faint recolection:

I hope you're remembering that right.

He is.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/fisher-plans-on-austin-davis-as-no-qb/article_7400e056-ab17-5b22-85ed-5956c3b8b107.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 8b107.html</a>

INDIANAPOLIS • It’s nearly three months before the Rams do any full-squad practice work, but it looks very much like quarterback Austin Davis has been promoted.

Asked Friday about his plans at backup QB, coach Jeff Fisher said, “Well, we’ve got Austin Davis. I was really happy with his progress.”

Davis was signed last spring as an undrafted rookie from Southern Mississippi. He didn’t play all of last season and was on the pregame inactive list 15 times in 16 games. But Davis showed enough during preseason play, including pocket awareness, scrambling skills and throwing on the run, to impress the coaching staff.

“He’s got some ability,” Fisher said. “Still, there’s a possibility that we would bring Kellen (Clemens) back,” Fisher said. “Kellen’s an outstanding locker room guy and very competitive. If that were the case we’d probably flip things to where Austin would be (No.) 2, Kellen would be 3.”

Clemens is an unrestricted free agent.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Train basically stole my reply. We have a QB coach (thank you) and an expert coach high in the sky with a birds eye view of the action to assist Sam. I think the veteran QB with (or without) a clip board whispering sweet nothings in Sams ear is highly over rated if it's even worth anything at all.

And you think Clemens is a bad option. I'd hate to see Cignetti have to come in.
:lmao:

Maybe it's just me then but those sweet nothings are also coming from someone who CAN play when called upon. Unless this Jenkins kid is better than Clemens and by a fair stretch i might add, he has less value to the team unless they see a huge upside for the future. Sorry, but semi-talented young QBs are a dime a dozen and offer no value to this team IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
albefree69 said:

And you think Clemens is a bad option. I'd hate to see Cignetti have to come in.
:lmao:

Maybe it's just me then but those sweet nothings are also coming from someone who CAN play when called upon. Unless this Jenkins kid is better than Clemens and by a fair stretch i might add, he has less value to the team unless they see a huge upside for the future. Sorry, but semi-talented young QBs are a dime a dozen and offer no value to this team IMO.
I'll look for it (maybe), but I remember reading Bradford saying how invaluable Clemens is to him when he gets to the sidelines. I understand there are coordinators in the box and on the sidelines, but that's not remotely the same as having a seasoned vet QB at your disposal. He can see things coordinators can't. I also remember Bradford giving specific examples of that. Eventually though (very soon, actually), he won't need a guy like Clemens anymore.

He'll be his own experienced eyes.

wv

Rookie
den-the-coach said:

I like Clemens. I like those old grizzly veterans. A vet that knows Shottenheimer's system
is invaluable if Bradford blows out his knee.

I also like Clementines. They are invaluable.

w
v

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wv said:
den-the-coach said:

I like Clemens. I like those old grizzly veterans. A vet that knows Shottenheimer's system
is invaluable if Bradford blows out his knee.

I also like Clementines. They are invaluable.

w
v
Say, you're that guy from West Virginia, aren'tcha? How do you like our new mini-receivers?

I like Clemens too, but obviously not as an heir apparent or replacement QB. I like the fact that as a veteran, he can run the scout team and imitate our opponents' offenses. He used to run the N.E. offense twice a week for the Jets to help them prepare for Bellyfat and Tammy Brady. Not that it did any good, but... he did help them prepare.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Selassie I said:

HA!!!

I remember being in the Herd chatroom when he was playing and we were all sickened by the fact Boller was taking snaps for our guys.

It was a different kind of low that year. One where you felt it was as bad as it could possibly get.....but then you realized Kyle Boller was under center so it might get worse.

And it actually DID!