Tim Barnes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I don't want to be Uber critical, but the guy was here it seems like forever, never made a push to be a starter. How's the line to get better bringing back the same pieces.
Person's was a better, more versatile backup and he walked.

Low hanging fruit.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't think that gets away from it in this situation. I think you are still "paying as you go" since it would be paid up front now just as it would if it were a roster bonus since he obviously will be on the roster this coming season. I think it would be different if we were talking about next years roster bonus being converted to a singing bonus now.

Nice. I will admit, my knowledge of this stuff is cursory at best... just like my knowledge of football. Buh-BAM!! ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You know what's better than a competent starter?

Evidently a bunch of backups.

They have to address the backups sooner or later. Or they end up on another team. Barnes was some of the better depth the Rams had. But I was fine with him moving on too. Insurance is insurance. You don't like it but you have to have it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Never was a Barnes fan, but at this point, it's closing time and he's looking fine!

V3

Hall of Fame
Because you know who will be on the board at 10? If he starts and plays at a pro bowl level, then is he the best value pick at 10?
Notice the word "seem". That should tell you that I am not claiming to know who is best and that I am only going off what most people are saying so far. Many are saying no O-lineman is worth a top 10 pick so it doesn't matter who is still on the board. I'm also not a big believer in taking a RT or OG in the top 10. That alone makes it a lesser value IMO.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Notice the word "seem". That should tell you that I am not claiming to know who is best and that I am only going off what most people are saying so far. Many are saying no O-lineman is worth a top 10 pick so it doesn't matter who is still on the board. I'm also not a big believer in taking a RT or OG in the top 10. That alone makes it a lesser value IMO.
If hes a stud I could give a care about value

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Again, if he plays at a pro-bowl level is he worth the pick? Even if he's a guard?

V3

Hall of Fame
Again, if he plays at a pro-bowl level is he worth the pick? Even if he's a guard?
Wouldn't complain but I still think there will be more impactful positions/players to be had at 10...or the draft could just suck like the '09 draft and there won't.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Wouldn't complain but I still think there will be more impactful positions/players to be had at 10...or the draft could just suck like the '09 draft and there won't.

Fair enough.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Unless Barrett Jones is a bust, the only conversation i'm hoping the Rams are having with Barnes is ... 'Good By'.

While it's a tad early to call Jones a bust, it's not to early to strongly suspect it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nice. I will admit, my knowledge of this stuff is cursory at best... just like my knowledge of football. Buh-BAM!! ;)
Hey...I could be 100% wrong. This NFL salary crap garbage is more difficult than Southern Hillbilly doing Chinese math.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Unless Barrett Jones is a bust, the only conversation i'm hoping the Rams are having with Barnes is ... 'Good By'.
That seems a little harsh, in that a lot of people on here (apparently you included) seem to want to hold out hope about B. Jones, but the fact of the matter, Tim Barnes has managed to stay ahead of everyone else they have brought in the past 3 years to challenge for the backup role. The ONLY reason Jones got any snaps at Center last year, (in the KC game when Wells went out with his elbow injury) is because Barnes had an injury of his own at the time (shoulder).

There isn't an O-linemen on this roster who has made himself into a viable NFL player more than Barnes has in the past 2 years. In his first year here, he was physically over matched and spent the better part of the year on the Practice Squad or Special Teams. For all of the talk about Jones' physical transformation heading into training camp last year, the guy who actually DID get bigger and stronger was Barnes. I think he is very under rated by most Rams fans. And IMO, this coaching staff likes him alot more than Jones.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And IMO, this coaching staff likes him alot more than Jones.

So the question looms Coach, if the coaching staff likes Barnes so much why did they opt for an injured and ineffective Wells instead of Barnes? Fisher spoke about the line calls and adjustments do they have confidence in Barnes from that perspective?

IMO I think they like Rhaney and I'm not sure Barnes is coming back and if he does, we'll see? I also have a feeling that Auburn Center Reese Dismukes will be drafted by the Rams because he meets all their criteria....He's from Auburn!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That seems a little harsh, in that a lot of people on here (apparently you included) seem to want to hold out hope about B. Jones, but the fact of the matter, Tim Barnes has managed to stay ahead of everyone else they have brought in the past 3 years to challenge for the backup role. The ONLY reason Jones got any snaps at Center last year, (in the KC game when Wells went out with his elbow injury) is because Barnes had an injury of his own at the time (shoulder).

There isn't an O-linemen on this roster who has made himself into a viable NFL player more than Barnes has in the past 2 years. In his first year here, he was physically over matched and spent the better part of the year on the Practice Squad or Special Teams. For all of the talk about Jones' physical transformation heading into training camp last year, the guy who actually DID get bigger and stronger was Barnes. I think he is very under rated by most Rams fans. And IMO, this coaching staff likes him alot more than Jones.

:bow:(y)

Dog Gone CoachO. I thought I was one of two members here who has a positive opinion of Tim Barnes. Now we may have a trio member bandwagon going.

That shoulder injury during the regular season may have been more of an aggravating a earlier injury in 2014 TC. Something you may have some knowledge of since you were there so often. Help me out here on the injuries/illness to centers Jones(back) & Wells(illness) and the possible shoulder injury that Barnes played through because there was no other center around but the rookie Rhaney. Even Rhaney was involved with a sore balky knee before the regular season. So Barnes might be more of a bona fide trooper here staying with his first team duties during TC & pre season even though he had a major issue with his shoulder???

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So the question looms Coach, if the coaching staff likes Barnes so much why did they opt for an injured and ineffective Wells instead of Barnes? Fisher spoke about the line calls and adjustments do they have confidence in Barnes from that perspective?

IMO I think they like Rhaney and I'm not sure Barnes is coming back and if he does, we'll see? I also have a feeling that Auburn Center Reese Dismukes will be drafted by the Rams because he meets all their criteria....He's from Auburn!
The issue with Wells, WHEN HEALTHY has never been about his ability. They have been pretty steadfast in their feelings about that. It took Wells longer than expected to regain the strength from his illness in the off season. And we all know about Jones and his back surgery and how long that kept him from being a viable option. Then at the end of training camp, Barnes suffered a shoulder injury that hindered him for a good part of the early season. Rhaney was on IR.

So honestly, even a less than 100% healthy Wells, was the BEST option at the time. They were so short at the position, they pushed Person into "learning" the position in case of an emergency. That Wells was forced to play under weight, then with an injured elbow, should tell you just how thin they were at the position.

Just because guys are "gameday active" as was the case with both Barnes and Jones, doesn't mean the are in "game shape" to be able to play 50+ snaps. I can also apply this to the fact that a healthy Jones or Barnes would have been a better option at Guard than Joseph. It makes my case even more compelling as to their overall availability. Just my take on how last year shook out.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Barnes has been listed ahead of Jones on the depth chart, but it's difficult to understand if this is a result of having proven anything or Jones' injury status, ... either way, I believe much of the frustration fans have felt over the Center position is a result of neither of these guys being able to beat an obviously poor starter in Wells. When I hear talk of Barnes, Jones & Rhaney as leading the pivot thru the 2015 season, i'm concerned. Not knowing the health, weight & strength status of an oft injured Jones, a practice squad player in Rhaney, and the heretofore underwhelming Barnes, with no one capable of dislodging Wells, Joseph or filling what was an open position at LG, I have serious doubts. Unless Fisher was hiding talent, which makes little sense, there just may be a problem here.
Hopefully this is all for naught as i've been heavily advocating for Cameron Erving to come in and settle this issue once and for all, but if not, I can't imagine opening the season with only those 3 already on the roster. I'd rather avoid Wisniewski, but we do need to add some stiffer competition for camp. jmo.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
:bow:(y)

Dog Gone CoachO. I thought I was one of two members here who has a positive opinion of Tim Barnes. Now we may have a trio member bandwagon going.

That shoulder injury during the regular season may have been more of an aggravating a earlier injury in 2014 TC. Something you may have some knowledge of since you were there so often. Help me out here on the injuries/illness to centers Jones(back) & Wells(illness) and the possible shoulder injury that Barnes played through because there was no other center around but the rookie Rhaney. Even Rhaney was involved with a sore balky knee before the regular season. So Barnes might be more of a bona fide trooper here staying with his first team duties during TC & pre season even though he had a major issue with his shoulder???
Not only did Barnes have the shoulder injury in camp, but he also suffered a rib injury during the season that was never rally reported. That is what caused him to miss the KC game, (which by the way, should tell you how serious it was, since he if FROM KC). It lingered for the rest of the season.

As to training camp, Rhaney didn't go down til late, so between Barnes, Rhaney and then Person, they had 3 guys who could take the reps in camp. Losing Jones, IMO was a major deal for them early on, and Wells didn't start taking any reps until almost the last week or so of camp. SO no, there weren't even any other bodies they could slide in there to take reps from Barnes, or Rhaney.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Barnes has been listed ahead of Jones on the depth chart, but it's difficult to understand if this is a result of having proven anything or Jones' injury status, ... either way, I believe much of the frustration fans have felt over the Center position is a result of neither of these guys being able to beat an obviously poor starter in Wells. When I hear talk of Barnes, Jones & Rhaney as leading the pivot thru the 2015 season, i'm concerned. Not knowing the health, weight & strength status of an oft injured Jones, a practice squad player in Rhaney, and the heretofore underwhelming Barnes, with no one capable of dislodging Wells, Joseph or filling what was an open position at LG, I have serious doubts. Unless Fisher was hiding talent, which makes little sense, there just may be a problem here.
Hopefully this is all for naught as i've been heavily advocating for Cameron Erving to come in and settle this issue once and for all, but if not, I can't imagine opening the season with only those 3 already on the roster. I'd rather avoid Wisniewski, but we do need to add some stiffer competition for camp. jmo.

I think you are simply looking at the surface when you say that that neither were able to supplant a "poor starter" in Wells. What you are over looking is the injury factor to ALL of the above. Jones' injuries are well documented. Barnes on the other hand, is an after thought amongst most fans. They just don't pay close enough attention to what is going on with a backup offensive lineman. Barnes injured his shoulder in training camp. He got over that, and if you go back and watch the early games, he participated in limited snaps, in the Jumbo package. Then he got hurt again, (no one noticed he wasn't active).

So, IMO, to simply say he hasn't been able to "beat out" Wells, isn't taking into account all of the mitigating circumstance this team has had to deal with.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks to me that if the Rams can go into Training Camp with HEALTHY Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney things as far as the center post will look much better.

Three younger stronger centers ready to worked together to strengthen this OC post. While all three have some versatility in them like Barnes & Rhaney who worked @ OG and Jones who has OT both sides starting experience in College would help the overall beefing of reserves in other areas. All three of these guys were together last season and should continue to get better IMO.

Now lets hope that Tim Barnes signs real soon!