Tim Barnes getting cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Best of luck to Mr Barnes going forward. Most of us saw this coming with the talented draft. Watch for Ryan Gory.

We have Groy ,Toth from Kentucky, Elflein from Ohio State and forgive my spelling of LSU's Pocic. All have 2nd round grades and our needs are in the CB/WR now C market. We need another 2ND round pick. Even during the thread on our Bomb OLT pickup today my focus was on our gaping hole at center. I see for the money first Barnes needs to be able to find his new home and Rhaney should be right behind him. I'm excited to see this plan come together. Jared Goff is gonna be protected first thing and Gurley WILL have holes to run through.:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We have Groy ,Toth from Kentucky, Elflein from Ohio State and forgive my spelling of LSU's Pocic. All have 2nd round grades and our needs are in the CB/WR now C market. We need another 2ND round pick. Even during the thread on our Bomb OLT pickup today my focus was on our gaping hole at center. I see for the money first Barnes needs to be able to find his new home and Rhaney should be right behind him. I'm excited to see this plan come together. Jared Goff is gonna be protected first thing and Gurley WILL have holes to run through.:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
elflein and pocic might go in 2nd round. I think at least one will drop to 3rd. I think toth will go late 3rd/early 4th. Same as orlovsky. My choice is elflein in the 3rd or if we aquire another 2nd use that. If not too or orlovsky. Pocic is 6'7, that's just to tall for a center imo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We know that the 6-1 297 pound Rhaney is not going to be our starting center this season. There are a few decent UFA centers out there. Joe Hawley 29 yrs old who played injured most all 2016 for the Buc's . Then there's ex Jet Nick Mangold 33 yrs old who was also injured & was on the IR with a ankle. Saints UFA Tim Lelito was a back up center back in 2014 wonder who was the Saints OL coach was in 2014.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hate it for Barnes if it comes to pass but I agree with all here. If they are releasing Barnes, they must have a FA just about lined up or a trade is in the works. No doubt they are planning on drafting one but you can't lean on a rookie Center you haven't drafted yet. I hope they have a starting FA Center lined up and I don't mind if he is 35.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
You know they had a failsafe plan before they would ever cut Barnes. I really hope we have a player on the team our new OL coach KNOWS is the bridge player and getting our guy in the draft is kinda scarey and risky unless your in love with a sure thing . Meaning a 4th rounder. Hope we are not playing with fire. Everyones beliefs always turn out different when a second rounder only has a 30% chance of working out.

…..

Legend
I like Tim Barnes but it would be really weird if he was the single most significant factor in an awful line. What the hell do I know.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No way are they relying on a draft pick to start at center or they would have never released Barnes today. They have a deal with a vet FA center in the works.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They could have a deal in place with someone already and are waiting to see how some other things shake out before announcing it.

They don't make this cut without a plan.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
You know they had a failsafe plan before they would ever cut Barnes. I really hope we have a player on the team our new OL coach KNOWS is the bridge player and getting our guy in the draft is kinda scarey and risky unless your in love with a sure thing . Meaning a 4th rounder. Hope we are not playing with fire. Everyones beliefs always turn out different when a second rounder only has a 30% chance of working out.

That's my first thought...Surely they have this covered before release the starter...If their answer was to draft a rookie and want to start him, especially with the OL situation right now, I'd crank up the fireplace and throw myself in...Have to feel for Barnes as hard as he's worked to get the job, but it's the right move imo...Again, assuming they have the new center under control...The other thing that would cause me the hurl myself into the flames would be if they told me the new starter was already on this team..I have plenty of life insurance so my wife is probably pulling for either of the self-imposed cremation options...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
John Sullivan could be an option. Played in Washington last season so there is a McVay connection. Barley played for them though...

Zero

Pro Bowler
I like Tim Barnes but it would be really weird if he was the single most significant factor in an awful line. What the hell do I know.
He was ranked as the 31st rated center in the league last year.
Until recently I thought he played fullback,Maybe it was because
he seemed to do most of his blocking in the backfield.:thinking:

Zero

Pro Bowler
Hope so.Even if he's a depth guy.I think McVay uses quite a bit of 2 TE sets.

Zero

Pro Bowler
No way are they relying on a draft pick to start at center or they would have never released Barnes today. They have a deal with a vet FA center in the works.
Hope they do have a deal,however I think there are some pretty good
prospects to be had in the 3rd and possibly 4th.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wow, it's almost like someone that makes decisions is watching game film of our offense finally.

No offense to Barnes, he's a fighter and I liked his attitude better than most of our offensive staff. But he was too easily mismatched physically in games. It was rare to see our QBs able to step up into the pocket all last year and that's not solely on Barnes' shoulders but it certainly was a factor.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not suggesting, at all, that this is the guy, but if I was the Rams OL coach, I'd groom, Jamon Brown. IMO, he has the perfect skill set to be a quality Center. That being said, although he has played a lot of positions in his college and Pro careers, he has never played Center, to my knowledge. Again, not saying this is who our Center will be, but while he is on the roster, I'd try to coach him up for this position, if we have a stop gap, in the meantime.

He's quick, he's smart, he plays with tilt, he's athletic. I would have tried this last year, maybe they did, who knows.