Thursday Night Football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The Viqueens got blasted by the bills who blasted them by forcing turnovers and turning Kirk Cousins into a pumpkin. The Rams took care of business and took down the bolts. But this game is a bit scary because I believe the viqueens overlooked the bills and paid for it. They are now 1-1-1 and desperate. The Rams can almost hurt the viqueens chance to make the playoffs by beating them in a strong NFC. The desperation kind of scares me. Seems like desperate teams play better.

That said, I had read online that no NFL team has ever crossed two time zones (the Viqueens fit this category) coming from east to west for Thursday Night football and won (0-10). I hope that this trend doesn't end in LA this week.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree that the Vikings may have more to lose by losing on Thursday. Though this game is key for both teams in the later playoff stretch as far as home field is concerned so the Rams have motivation too. Plus don't we all love a revenge game vs the Vikings?

Interesting time zone stat... let's make it 0-11!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I just don't like ANOTHER short week especially when our D has been plagued by injuries on the weekend.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope they don't rush Peters back. We need him 100% vs the Hawks and no nagging injuries the whole years. I still can't believe how Talib went down, and how serious it is. Having both come playoff time is critical.

The Vikings Oline sounds ready made for Donald, Suh, and Brockers. I expect a big game by them and our offense unleashing FURY...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That said, I had read online that no NFL team has ever crossed two time zones (the Viqueens fit this category) coming from east to west for Thursday Night football and won (0-10). I hope that this trend doesn't end in LA this week.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-underdogs-hope-to-end-nfls-odd-thursday-hex/

by John Breech

Although we've heard plenty of NFL players complain about Thursday Night Football over the past few years, what they really should be complaining about is any Thursday game where they have to fly more than two times zones to the west.

Now, that might not sound like much, but apparently, that's the difference between a win and loss in the NFL. The reason we're bringing that up this week is because the Vikings are about to become the 11th team to make a two time zone trip out west since the return of Thursday Night Football in 2006.

The bad news for the Vikings is that if the past is any indication, they're a lock to lose this week, and here's why: No team flying from the Central time zone to the Pacific time zone for a Thursday game has ever won or covered a game over the past 12 years.

The same rule applies for teams flying from the Eastern time zone to the Mountain or Pacific time zone (Remember, you have to fly at least two time zones west). Since 2006, this has happened a total of 10 times and the Central/Eastern time zone team has gone 0-10 both straight-up and ATS.

Basically, teams are already on a short week and flying 4-6 hours across the country doesn't help things. Here's a quick look at the 10 games that have been played over the past 12 years:

Week 10, 2009: 49ers 10-6 over Bears (+3)
Week 12, 2009: Broncos 26-6 over Giants (-4.5)
Week 11, 2011: Broncos 17-13 over Jets (-6.5)
Week 13, 2011: Seahawks 31-14 over Eagles (-3)
Week 9, 2012: Chargers 31-13 over Chiefs (+7)
Week 1, 2013: Broncos 49-27 over Ravens (+7.5)
Week 1, 2014: Seahawks 36-16 over Packers (+8.5)
Week 12, 2014: Raiders 24-20 over Chiefs (-7.5)
Week 1, 2016: Broncos 21-20 over Panthers (-3)
Week 7, 2017: Raiders 31-30 over Chiefs (-3)

That's 10 games and 10 losers for the Eastern or Central time zone.

Does all of this mean the Vikings are going to lose? Not necessarily, but it might help explain why the Vikings opened as a seven-point underdog, one of the biggest point spreads the team has ever faced under Mike Zimmer. Since 2014, the Vikings have been an underdog of seven or more points a total of seven times, and although they've gone 0-7 in those games, they've gone 4-3 against the spread (ATS).

Psycho_X

Legend
There's no good reason I can think of that the NFL hasn't implemented a second bye week and always had teams playing on Thursday night have one before the game. It seems like a win/win situation for all sides involved. Players get more rest time during the season to nurse injuries, no short weeks to force their bodies into action before adequate down time, and the NFL gets to stretch out their season another week without having to go through the nflpa for more games overall. Longer season would equal more add revenue for all. Just don't get why they keep forcing the issue. I'm sure there are some loopholes to deal with but not like the NFL doesn't have an army of lawyers to hammer through that shit.