Three takeaways from Rams' rookie orientation/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Three takeaways from Rams' rookie orientation
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/18399/three-takeaways-from-rams-rookie-orientation

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams wrapped up their rookie orientation over the weekend after spending a couple of days getting their rookie class acclimated to how the Rams do things.

There's not a whole lot to glean from this process as the players don't do much aside from some basic conditioning and individual work. But here's a handful of takeaways from what we were permitted to see on Friday and Saturday:

1. The Rams got much bigger in this year's draft, especially on the offensive line.

It was no secret what the Rams were trying to accomplish during the draft. They loaded up early and often on the offensive line and in the process bulked up in a major way. Tackles Rob Havenstein and Andrew Donnal and guards Cody Wichmann and Jamon Brown bring no shortage of beef to an offensive line in need of it.

Even Rams coach Jeff Fisher couldn't help but notice the size of the group.

“It’s hard not to look at the four offensive linemen we drafted and say, ‘Wow,’" Fisher said. "Somebody said yesterday they look like refrigerators with legs. It’s a good-looking group and they’re moving around pretty good.”

Havenstein, in particular, is hard to ignore. At 321 pounds, you'd think he'd need some work in the weight room to be prepared to play, but he carries the weight on his frame quite well and could probably even use some added muscle. Brown also cuts an impossible figure.

2. There's a reason why the word minicamp isn't used at Rams Park.

Fisher is the only coach in the league who doesn't have traditional "minicamps," especially for his rookies. His belief is that the youngsters need to come in and get used to how to do things and get in shape before being thrown in with the veterans.

That's why he refers to the two days the rookies spent together as "orientation." Fisher wants to protect his players as much as possible and though he expressed sympathy to the Jacksonville Jaguars and rookie Dante Fowler, who suffered a torn ACL in a team drill during his minicamp, that injury is the exact reason Fisher believes in a slow indoctrination for his rookies.

"I heard he was in an 11-on-11 full-speed pass rush and he had a problem," Fisher said. "Our philosophy is not to put them in that position for a couple of weeks until we know where they’re at.”

The rookies will join with the veterans for some on-field work on Thursday this week, but the most important statistic from the two-day orientation is zero, as in zero injuries suffered.

3. If you're looking for an unknown rookie to cheer for, look no further than wide receiver Daniel Rodriguez.

The Rams had nine drafted rookies and 15 undrafted rookies in town with just a pair of tryout players. There are always good stories to be found in the undrafted and tryout groups, but perhaps there have been none better than Rodriguez.

Rodriguez, 27, got a tryout with the Rams after spending four seasons at Clemson. Before that, he was in the Army from 2006-2010, becoming a sergeant and serving tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Along the way, he earned a Purple Heart when a rocket-propelled grenade left shrapnel in his neck and legs and a bullet hit him in the shoulder.

Fisher, who is a big proponent of the military and holds the Wounded Warriors close to his heart, couldn't help but be impressed with Rodriguez's journey.

“His story’s well-documented," Fisher said. "Wanted to give him an opportunity. We’ll see what happens. Very impressed obviously with his story and what he did at Clemson and what he was able to accomplish.”

It remains to be seen whether the Rams will sign Rodriguez to a free-agent contract but they do have a pair of roster spots remaining.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams Rookies Are Adjusting to Being the New Kids
By Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/05/10/rams-rookies-adjusting-new-kids-town/

Someone called police on Jamon Brown the day the Rams drafted him, but not for the reasons too often surrounding NFL prospects. Neighbors made the call to police regarding his family’s reaction to getting the Rams’ call.

“Everyone was yelling,” Brown said smiling. “And we got the police called on us, so everybody was yelling that loud to where we made a ruckus in the neighborhood.”

Brown joined his fellow Rams newcomers Friday and Saturday for their first workouts with coaches. The rookies will remain in town until the June 22 NFL Rookie Symposium. The group of young O-linemen was easily the largest on the field at Rams Park, taking instruction from line coach Paul Boudreau while nearby running backs and receivers worked with lone rookie quarterback, Sean Mannion.

The excitement of reporting for his first NFL assignment isn’t lost on Mannion either.

“It’s a bit surreal, but I think today is when it finally hit me.” Mannion said. “It’s kind of the realization of a dream I’ve had my whole life.”

“I guess I don’t really fit in with the rest of the guys,” Mannion added in regards to being the only player in a red jersey. “That’s alright, I got the same helmet at least.”

A common line from athletes making the jump from college to the pros describes the difference in the speed of action between levels. Brown mentioned it also applies to instruction.

“They expect you to pick up on things quicker than when you were in college.” Brown said. “In college, you slow it down, they kind of walk you through a lot more things. But out here, they show you it, and they expect you to be able to soak it in and apply it to the drills.”

In addition to Brown, the Rams drafted tackles Rob Havenstein (2nd round, Wisconsin) and Andrew Donnal (4th round, Iowa), and guard Cody Wichmann (6th round, Fresno State). Jeff Fisher said Saturday he’s excited to begin working with the rookie linemen and isn’t worried about getting them up to speed given their former football homes.

“It’s great work for them. The Iowa offensive system, the Wisconsin offensive system are probably more closer to what we do.” Fisher said. “Fresno State, Cody (Wichmann) is well coached. We’re really excited about Jamon (Brown) because he’s got tremendous athletic ability. I don’t think it’s going to be a long time for the four of them to catch on to the techniques and what not.”

Mannion says the devil is in the details in learning the Rams offense.

“I know just learning the offense, it wasn’t my first time with certain protections, it wasn’t my first time with certain patterns.” Mannion said. “But the detail that goes into every little aspect of each play is just so much higher. There’s always tons and tons of things to be sharp on, to learn about, so that way the offense can run at a high level.”

Fisher said his newest QB has been as advertised after watching him the past couple days.

“Really nothing different than the private workout,” Fisher said. “We spent a lot of time with him in the private workout, saw him make every throw. Picks everything up real quick, has a good sense for learning, huddle presence. He’s going to be fine. He’ll know what to do. He’s got a good arm.”

Meanwhile, the Rams’ first round pick is chomping at the bit to get in on the action.

Number 10 overall pick Todd Gurley is not able to fully participate in rookie camp due to the torn ACL he suffered at Georgia last fall, but the young running back said he was getting in his mental reps.

“I’m just listening to the play calls and making sure in my head that I’ve got them down.” Gurley said Thursday. “I can still go through the plays in the back by myself.”

Gurley is donning number 30 on his practice jersey, a decision he said came from slim pickings and not wanting to upset a former Rams running back who many Rams fans remember fondly.

“There’s really not too many numbers available…There was 39 which was S-J and I’m definitely not gonna touch that.” Gurley said.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The OL is huge, but what about the DL? Seems like it's going the opposite direction. Doesn't seem to be any candidates to replace K.Langford's role as big ol' run stuffer. Fairley seems more of a swimmer/penetrator rather than a guy that holds the line. All the additions seem smaller and smaller. Awesome from a pressure & sack outlook, but when we need that goal line stand, where's the girth?

(Remember it was Langford that shoved the wussy Whiners center right back into Krapperdouche's face, snuffing any penetration & leading to that delicious fumble that ruined the 49ers season and put the foot in overrated Harbaugh's ass out the door...)

kapfum.0.gif

p.s. Nevermind I guess, here's Fairley showing how he does it with quickness, but I'd still feel better with some beef added, able to spell Brockers to complement Donald/Fairley...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The OL is huge, but what about the DL? Seems like it's going the opposite direction. Doesn't seem to be any candidates to replace K.Langford's role as big ol' run stuffer. Fairley seems more of a swimmer/penetrator rather than a guy that holds the line. All the additions seem smaller and smaller. Awesome from a pressure & sack outlook, but when we need that goal line stand, where's the girth?

(Remember it was Langford that shoved the wussy Whiners center right back into Krapperdouche's face, snuffing any penetration & leading to that delicious fumble that ruined the 49ers season and put the foot in overrated Harbaugh's ass out the door...)

kapfum.0.gif

p.s. Nevermind I guess, here's Fairley showing how he does it with quickness, but I'd still feel better with some beef added, able to spell Brockers to complement Donald/Fairley...

Fairley is 6'4" and 308 pounds. Langford is 6'6" and 313. So Fairley has virtually more pounds per inch.