Three Reasons Why the St. Louis Rams Need to Resign Rodger Saffold…At Guard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Chuck Chapman
http://www.rams101.com/2013/11/16/t...-rams-need-to-resign-rodger-saffold-at-guard/

nfl_a_saffold_d1_576x324.jpg

Going into 2013, the assumption was that St. Louis Rams tackle Rodger Saffold was playing out the string. The former second round pick had underperformed at tackle, that is when he was actually on the field and healthy. Last Sunday's win in Indianapolis that saw Saffold fill in at right guard just may have changed perceptions about him and his future role with the team.

For the first time in a very long time, Saffold was effective. The Rams' offense was able to give Kellen Clemens a clean pocket and opened up holes for Zac Stacy the entire day. Saffold's performance was a big part of that.

So now, instead of letting Saffold walk after the season, the Rams are presented with another option: keep Saffold as a guard. That makes a lot of sense for the Rams for these reasons:

1. Joe Barksdale: With Saffold being injured, Barksdale has taken his opportunity and made the most of it. He's shown himself to be a much better pass protector at the tackle spot than Saffold. Most importantly, Barksdale has proven his durability. Going into 2014 with bookends of Jake Long and Barksdale isn't a bad option for St. Louis.

Of course, that would seemingly leave Saffold out of the mix. The Rams aren't going to re-up him to back up Barksdale. But Sunday's performance showed that Saffold can improve an area of weakness.

2. Good guards are at a premium in the NFL: In 2012, Carl Nick broke the bank moving from New Orleans to Tampa. This past off season, the Titans made a rich man out of Buffalo's Andy Levitre. The last two NFL drafts have seen guards going in the first round, a departure from past drafts. Last year the Titans drafted Alabama's Chance Warmack 10th overall.

This is happening for a couple of reasons. First, NFL coaches are realizing that while having a left tackle to protect the blind side is certainly important, if the guards can't keep the pocket from collapsing, having Anthony Munoz at left tackle doesn't mean much.

New NFL offenses are also asking guards to be more athletic instead of just "road graders." In addition to dropping back in pass protection more often than in the past, spread offenses place a premium on guards who can get down field on screen passes and pull effectively on zone read plays. That means NFL teams are looking for guys with guard's bodies and the feet of tackles. That's Rodger Saffold.

3. Saffold could be a very good guard instead of an average tackle: If Sunday is any indication, the Rams and Saffold may have stumbled upon Saffold's "fit" in the NFL. The Rams have a mess on the interior of the offensive line. Harvey Dahl isn't getting any younger or any better, and the Chris Williams experiment isn't working out. Barrett Jones is a work in progress, but there's no guarantee that he will be ready to produce next season. For the Rams, plugging Saffold in at right guard would greatly upgrade the interior of the line.

For Saffold, it's about the Benjamins. Given his track record, is he more likely to get paid by another NFL team as a tackle, or would he make more staying in St. Louis and being paid as a premium guard? The answer there is pretty obvious.

Sometimes circumstances create great discoveries. Could it be that the Rams and Rodger Saffold have discovered something that will be mutually beneficial?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This situation reminds me of the decision with Amendola.

The Rams will place a stake in the ground. I suspect, like Amendola, someone will exceed what the Rams are comfortable with.

That said ; if the price is right I'll be glad to see Saffold back!

A55VA6

Legend
I agree CGI. I think Rodger is better suited at guard. Hopefully it works out for him and the Rams!

…..

Legend
would be great if he stayed at guard.....but Rams would have to pony up. (maybe give him Dahls money + a lil bit ?)

But I dont think Saffold is an "average" tackle. I think he's above average. jmo.

So it will certainly be interesting to see what unfolds.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Will be all about what we offer him and what he could get elsewhere. I think someone will give him a bigger contract then we are willing to give him. Especially since he has proved to play good at tackle when healthy. If we can keep at a good price at guard id do it, but i don't see us winning the contract battle(unless he pulls a Hayes).

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Who do you think we will franchise this offseason if we do at all? (too early for offseason talk, IMO, but related to Saffold is an exception, I guess)

nighttrain

Legend
be a good deal for Rams to resign Saffold, starting guard, backup at both tackles
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Who do you think we will franchise this offseason if we do at all? (too early for offseason talk, IMO, but related to Saffold is an exception, I guess)
For some reason ROC all your post seem logical,:cool: and this one spurs some thought, if he plays the rest of the season at guard is there a difference between guard and tackle as a franchise player? something in the back of my distracted mind is shouting no ,but if their is maybe then, but JMO if we gotta pay Roger average of top 5 tackles /linemen, gotta say g'bye.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd like to see him play every offensive play for the rest of the season without injury before I give much thought to resigning him.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I'd like to see him play every offensive play for the rest of the season without injury before I give much thought to resigning him.
No kidding. Or seeing more than 1 game with him at Guard before saying he can be an 'elite' guard.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Saffold regardless of his injury history is gonna be a top tier free agent who we won't be able to secure via a bidding war. I doubt he has any desire to stay out of loyalty to a team that moved him from his preferred position regardless of how well that move has served him as well as the team.
We get what we can out of him for the rest of the year but well be drafting his replacement.

Psycho_X

Legend
This situation reminds me of the decision with Amendola.

The Rams will place a stake in the ground. I suspect, like Amendola, someone will exceed what the Rams are comfortable with.

That said ; if the price is right I'll be glad to see Saffold back!

I agree with you, tackles and especially left tackles are extremely hard to come by in free agency. Saffold has had injury problems but he's shown to be a capable left tackle even if he hasn't been spectacular. Just being a capable left tackle will get you $10 million a year now from a team desperate for one. I would like to keep him and I think he could be a pro bowl guard but I just don't see us being able to keep him out of the tackle market money wise.

fearsomefour

Legend
The average for the top five Gs 2013 was $4.95M. So, $5 M. If the Rams cut Dahl ($4M) and let Williams walk (about $900 k I think) and Rogers salary this year counted $1.4M vs. the cap they could tag him and afford him. The real question is is he that much of an improvement at G to tag him for one year? If they dont tag him I think there is nearly zero chance the Rams can keep him due to someone being willing to pay for him to play LT. Someplace like Oakland who will be getting some cap relief makes sense.
Saffold was a very solid LT and Im sure could be a very good G but the risk/reward with his injury history makes it a tough resign at that price range to me. I would rather the Rams keep Dahl (maybe redo his deal) and use the money saved by Saffold and Williams coming off the books to go after someone else. I will keep saying it, trading a late round pick for a Pro Bowl level guy like Incognito makes sense to me. He will have little leverage signing a new deal after this year. He was making $5 M this year. Getting a guy like that for closer to 3 is a steal to me.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No qualms from me, I imagine he'll be less costly since he couldn't stay healthy, even in his contract year and won't be getting any of the bounty he thought he would. If we can have him shore up our guard position and the emergence of Barksdale we could have a solid line for a few years, a Godsend for the Rams.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Best O lineman the Rams have drafted in years and we let him walk? He can play a either Tackle at a high level and now guard. How much are the Rams willing to pay someone to do that as well. Or how high of a draft choice will be spent to replace him. And no, were not going to find a udfa that can do that next year game 1.
No matter who replaces him there is no guarantee he will be any healthier. That's football.

The idea is to accumulate as much talent as possible, then you have to pay that talent. Just pay the man.