Three Plays That Defined the Rams’ 34-31 Loss to the Cowboys /Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Three Plays That Defined the Rams’ 34-31 Loss to the Cowboys
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/24/three-plays-defined-rams-34-31-loss-cowboys/

When a team blows a 21-0 lead like the Rams did Sunday in their 34-31 loss to the Cowboys, there’s always plenty of blame to go around.

For starters, give Dallas credit for sticking with the run despite facing that early deficit. It could have been easy for Jason Garrett and Co. to throw out their game plan at that point and compound the issue by being one-dimensional. Instead, following Janoris Jenkins’ 25-yard pick-six to give the Rams a three-touchdown lead, the Cowboys went on an eight-play, 80-yard drive that consisted of DeMarco Murray doing whatever he wanted to the Rams’ defense. As it turned out, that drive was one of the turning points in the game.

Despite not practicing during the week, Tony Romo’s back looked fine when he found Dez Bryant wide open on a 68-yard touchdown right after halftime to cut the Rams’ lead to 21-17. Jenkins was supposed to be man-to-man with Bryant the entire game, and until that point, he had more than held his own while facing the Cowboys’ best receiver. But thinking he was supposed to pass Bryant off to safety Rodney McLeod, he came off Bryant and jumped a crossing pattern, which is exactly what McLeod did as well. The end result was Bryant catching a touchdown pass from Romo, who said following the game that that was the most wide open he’d ever seen a receiver.

From Bruce Carter’s pick-six to Jared Cook’s drop in the end zone that would have given the Rams a 28-0 lead, there were other moments of missed opportunities or crucial mistakes that plagued the Rams throughout the day. A botched Scott Wells snap and two horrendous penalties called on Eugene Sims didn’t help matters, either.

But considering the Rams held a 21-0 lead and scored 31 points on the afternoon, this loss falls on the defense and, by extension, the coaching staff. All offseason, the talk was about how the Rams just needed to get to the fourth quarter with a lead and the defense would take over from there. Instead, the run defense has been an issue since preseason, and the team has just one sack in three games. The identity of this team is its front four, and yet that unit has also contributed to many of the Rams’ problems through three games.

Below are three plays that defined the Rams’ 34-31 loss to the Cowboys. As I’ve highlighted, there were huge plays throughout the course of the game that contributed to the loss. But in sticking with the theme, all three of the plays below were part of a series in which the defense couldn’t generate a stop despite the team clinging to a four-point lead early in the fourth quarter.

PLAY 1: The Romo Scramble.

Cook drops an easy touchdown pass that would have extended the Rams’ lead early in the fourth quarter to 28-20. Instead, the Rams settle for a field goal, and their defense is tasked with stopping a Dallas offense that has scored on both of its second-half possessions.

Following an illegal blocking penalty on tight end Jason Witten, a 1-yard Murray run, and a 3-yard reception to Bryant, the Cowboys faced a third-and-13 from their own 13-yard line. Dallas comes out in an empty back, 3×2 spread formation with three receivers to the play side and two to the boundary. From a coverage standpoint, the Rams play it perfectly. On the boundary side, Jenkins reads the No. 1 receiver and covers his outside area while McLeod reads the No. 2 receiver and covers the inside area. On the three-wide side, E.J. Gaines stays outside on the No. 1 receiver while T.J. McDonald stays over the No. 2 receiver, and James Laurinaitis and Lamarcus Joyner stay underneath that same receiver, who runs a fly route.

The problem occurs when Kendall Langford drops into coverage to trail Witten, who is the inside receiver on the three-wide side. As Witten takes off up the seam, Langford follows him, allowing left guard Ronald Leary and center Travis Frederick to double-team Michael Brockers at the snap. Right guard Zack Martin is also free to help right tackle Doug Free double-team William Hayes, and while Robert Quinn beats Tyron Smith to the outside and forces Romo to step up into the pocket, it also creates a domino effect that favors the Cowboys and causes the entire play to break down for the Rams.

Initially Romo tries to escape to the outside where Quinn just vacated, but Brockers does a good job mirroring Romo and quickly cuts off his path. This causes Romo to cut back inside, where there’s nothing but green grass in front of him because Langford is up the field in coverage.

Realizing that Romo has broken the pocket, Alec Ogletree runs up to make the tackle. But Romo somehow jukes Ogletree and runs an additional five yards before falling down at the 29-yard-line, where he’s touched down by Joyner. The end result is a 16-yard gain for Romo and a first down for the Cowboys to keep the drive alive.

PLAY 2: Williams Finds a Soft Spot.

On that same drive, the Rams once again do a great job on first and second down to force a third-and-14 at the Dallas 25-yard-line. This time the Cowboys line up in a 3×1 formation with three receivers (which includes Witten detached from the line) to the play side, while Bryant matches up one-on-one with Jenkins to the boundary. Murray is the lone back with Romo, who lines up in shotgun.

At the snap, McLeod and Joyner blitz from opposite edges while Laurinaitis and Ogletree drop into coverage. Jenkins stays with Bryant while Gaines covers his quarter and Cody Davis flows over the top to help combine with Gaines to cover Gavin Escobar, who runs a fly route. McDonald, who walked down on Escobar at the snap to help cover for the blitzing Joyner, drops into coverage.
Lamarcus Joyner

That’s where the play breaks down on multiple fronts. While keeping his eyes on Romo, McDonald thinks that Romo wants to throw outside the numbers, so he breaks for the sideline. But just as he does that, Terrence Williams cuts inside and finds a soft spot in the zone over the middle of the field.

Why wasn’t anyone underneath? After Laurinaitis shows blitz and then drops into coverage, his eyes go to Romo, whose first read was to Bryant on the right side of the formation. Laurinaitis bites on Romo’s pump fake, and by the time he gets back to the play side where Williams is, Romo has already slid in the pocket to open up a perfect passing lane to hit Williams for a first down.

If McDonald doesn’t break outside, he probably has a play on the ball. If Laurinaitis doesn’t bite on the pump fake, then maybe he gets enough depth in coverage to force Romo to either hold onto the ball or throw it into double coverage. If Romo doesn’t fake and tries to force the ball to Bryant, then Laurinaitis might be in perfect position to intercept the pass underneath.

Either way, the end result was a 20-yard completion to Williams and another first down to keep the drive alive.

PLAY 3: Cowboys Take First and Last Lead.

On that same drive, a pass interference call on Jenkins sets the Cowboys up with a first-and-10 at the Rams’ 20-yard-line. Following a Murray 3-yard run on first down and a five-yard reception on second down, the Cowboys face a third-and-2 from the Rams’ 12-yard line.

On third down, Romo lines up in shotgun and is flanked by Witten and Murray. He has two receivers to the play side, and Bryant once again lines up as the lone receiver to the right against Jenkins to the boundary. Witten then goes in motion, and the Rams tip their hand as Ogletree follows Witten into the slot.

Romo now knows the Rams are in man-to-man coverage with safety help over the top of both Bryant and the three receivers to the play side. At the snap, Williams (the outside receiver on the play side) runs a quick slant underneath Cole Beasley (the middle receiver on that side) and Witten. Gaines, who can’t navigate through the traffic in order to cut him off, helplessly watches as Williams catches an easy touchdown pass over the middle. There’s nothing Gaines or any of the Rams’ defenders can do on that play.

These three plays are just some of the chess matches that can make or break teams on Sunday. The Cowboys dialed up the right play calls at the exact right times, and it led to the Rams’ demise.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I've seen this game 3 times and while those plays that the OP refers to where important plays in the game this loss falls squarely on the refs period.

Interesting take on the three critical plays. I agree on the Romo 3rd and 13 scramble for a first down. However, I respectfully submit these two plays as more critical failures:

1. Wells not realizing we are in shotgun and dropping the ball on the ground behind him. (BTW - How does the center who is supposed to be making the line calls NOT know the play is from shotgun?!?!?!)
2. Cook dropping a touchdown pass that hits him in the hands.

drpugilist

too long of an article to read for me time wise, and i cant stand blaming refs for anything since they are human. however, here are my 3 in no particular order:

1. going for it on 4th down when a fg was clearly the best opp to put pts in the board to make it a 7 pt game
2. cook's drop in the end zone
3. roughing (or non roughing) call against us on romo. again, not blaming refs for the outcome of the game as this was simply one play.

RamzFanz

Damnit
1) Abandoning Zac Stacy runs when the Rams had the chance to eat up the clock.
2) Blitzing when we should have been playing containment
3) Down by 2 scores with 6 minutes left calling run and pass plays up the middle and acting like they had all day.
4) Forgetting to give the refs their bribes.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
avg sports fans (ie, homers) always have an excuse for something. its disgusting really. and, im assuming you will ban me for voicing my opinion?
He's saying that the Dallas offensive line was holding (I think that's what it was) which gave Romo all day to wind up and throw the td pass to Dez.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I keep saying this, but despite the dropped td and botched snap the offense did its part to win the game. I can say with confidence that the defense did not. Had they shown up, those two offensive mistakes with a couple of blown calls wouldn't have made a difference.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
But considering the Rams held a 21-0 lead and scored 31 points on the afternoon, this loss falls on the defense and, by extension, the coaching staff. All offseason, the talk was about how the Rams just needed to get to the fourth quarter with a lead and the defense would take over from there. Instead, the run defense has been an issue since preseason, and the team has just one sack in three games. The identity of this team is its front four, and yet that unit has also contributed to many of the Rams’ problems through three games.
It's just not fair or reasonable to blame this loss on the players and the coaches when the other team is allowed to play outside the rules with almost complete discretion. I think we did everything we could do considering the constraints we were under, and the advantages the Cowgirls had. At some point, it's just all too much to overcome.

iced

Rams out played their opponents..

The zebras simply gave the Cowboys a gift with penalties - the total penalties says it all, especially with the photos of non-calls

drpugilist

It's just not fair or reasonable to blame this loss on the players and the coaches when the other team is allowed to play outside the rules with almost complete discretion. I think we did everything we could do considering the constraints we were under, and the advantages the Cowgirls had. At some point, it's just all too much to overcome.

are you being serious? is this the same thing you would tell your kids of his or her team lost a game of any kind? i dont get it.

drpugilist

Rams out played their opponents..

The zebras simply gave the Cowboys a gift with penalties - the total penalties says it all, especially with the photos of non-calls

see my above post before reading further. "son your team played a great game! unfoturnaly, the refs werent on our side tonight." really?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
are you being serious? is this the same thing you would tell your kids of his or her team lost a game of any kind? i dont get it.
if my son played in a league where the refs did what they did in that dallas game (or SB36), I would yank him from that league and find another one. He doesn't have to play in a world of unfair rules, that's the lesson that I would want him to learn.

iced

see my above post before reading further. "son your team played a great game! unfoturnaly, the refs werent on our side tonight." really?

No - I don't agree with it at all. It's all on the film, and the film doesn't lie. Plenty of bad/missed calls, and I believe Mike Periera has already said a few were incorrect calls. Not to mention such a gigantic disparity in the number of penalties for each team? Please.

If it were my kid I'd tell him to keep playing no matter what the refs do - but that doesn't change the fact that cowboys were gift wrapped this game.

Alan

Legend
drpugilist feeling picked on:
im assuming you will ban me for voicing my opinion?
I know your board name suggests you like to fight but you're starting to sound like Bill Simmons aren't you? How'd that turn out?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
avg sports fans (ie, homers) always have an excuse for something. its disgusting really. and, im assuming you will ban me for voicing my opinion?

Voicing your opinion and just being a jerk are two different things. I guess we're all homers in your opinion. You can get your point across in other ways without coming off so condescending. Most don't blame games on refs but the Dallas game was pretty freaking bad. I would think most would admit that even if you don't want to throw direct blame at them.

I doubt any father here would tell there son it was all the refs, but I wouldn't never have an issue telling him they certainly didn't help.