Three & Out: Takeaways from Rams’ 35–30 Victory Over Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Three & Out: Takeaways from Rams’ 35–30 Victory Over Cowboys

No more 7–9 bullsh** for these Rams—Sean McVay has turned Los Angeles into a good team that’s fun to watch.

Ben Baskin October 01, 2017

Three thoughts from the Rams’ 35–30 win against the Cowboys.

1. Don’t look now, but the Rams are good. Not just oh, it’s fun that the Rams aren’t terrible anymore good. More like, oh, the Rams might actually win the NFC West good. Just give Sean McVay the Coach of the Year award right now—he’s not only made the Rams (who, let’s remember, were an atrocious football team last year) good, but also incredibly fun to watch.

But, the team’s early success isn’t just McVay. Players win games in the NFL, so let’s give Jared Goff the credit he deserves. After the worst rookie season in NFL history, Goff is currently near the top of the leaderboard in every important statistical category for quarterbacks. Not only that, his game is aggressive and loose, and he’s playing with a lot of confidence. For a young QB coming off a disastrous year, that’s impressive. Sorry, Jeff Fisher: it may be a year too late, but there is no 7–9 bullsh** on this team anymore.

2. Todd Gurley is officially back. This has been clear since the beginning of the season, but four weeks in I feel confident declaring it now. Last year, I was a little worried that Gurley’s dominant rookie season was maybe a bit of a fluke. But now it’s clear that the Rams cannot be judged by any of their sins of 2016, when the offense wasn’t running any discernible system. This year Gurley is back to being an absolute force, and he’s one of the more enjoyable backs to watch run this decade. Even more importantly, though, for the Rams’ sake is that Gurley has become a veritable weapon in the passing game, which is a terror for opposing defenses to face. He already had seven touchdowns on the year, a Rams’ record, besting Marshall Faulk’s historic 2000 season. The NFL is more fun when Todd Gurley is good.

3. The Cowboys shouldn’t be panicking, but the team’s deficiencies from last season have lingered. In 2016, Dallas was second in the NFL in “big plays,” but this perceived strength was only because of their dominant rushing game. Their “big play” rank for passing (passes over 25 yards) was sixth worst in the NFL—and that seems to be the same this season.

Dak Prescott needs to do a better job of getting Dez Bryant involved in the offense on a consistent basis. He’s the most under-utilized star receiver in the league. In the first half, the offense looked great—the rushing game was strong, Ezekiel Elliott had two touchdowns (one in the air, one on the ground), Prescott was efficient and Dallas didn't punt once. But in the second, things stagnated; the team struggled when Prescott had to stretch it out and pass more. If the Cowboys want to win the NFC—and let’s be clear, the opportunity will be there—they’ll need to balance the offense.

[www.si.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
While I thing McVay has killed Fisher's career as a HC....he may still be able to sniff a GM gig...this team is loaded with talent....Higbee impressed me, and I haven't seen the entire game yet....heard MJD blowing him up tho on the radio some....

fearsomefour

Legend
While I thing McVay has killed Fisher's career as a HC....he may still be able to sniff a GM gig...this team is loaded with talent....Higbee impressed me, and I haven't seen the entire game yet....heard MJD blowing him up tho on the radio some....
Higbee had his best game for sure. Made some plays.
Carrier showed his value as well. Excellent blocking on several plays. Stood out to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sullivan was very good too in the run game.
In fact, the whole O line gave Gurley seems all day. When that stretch play works they are in sync and it really opens everything up in the run game. Suddenly inside power is getting 4 yards a pop.
Play action works. Austin gets some effective carries.
The Sullivan signing and trading for Carrier were two very good and undervalued moves.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I thing McVay has killed Fisher's career as a HC....he may still be able to sniff a GM gig...this team is loaded with talent......

Jeff Fisher is done as done as done can be, he once killed the Rams and now is killing bees.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since Jeff Fisher showed virtually no ability to pick OCs or other offensive coaches, I doubt any team would want him in a position of authority that might include influencing the coaches picked.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Jeff Fisher is done as done as done can be, he once killed the Rams and now is killing bees.

I disagree that Fisher killed the Rams. If anything, he just stalled. He brought us up from historically terrible to mediocre. We just couldn't get over the hump.

McVay inherited a much more talented team than Fisher did. Let's remember that.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
While I thing McVay has killed Fisher's career as a HC....he may still be able to sniff a GM gig...this team is loaded with talent.

A team would have to be completely desperate to hire Fisher as a GM, and if by some crazy chance it happens, they must make 100% sure he has absolutely nothing to do with choosing the coach.

fearsomefour

Legend
I disagree that Fisher killed the Rams. If anything, he just stalled. He brought us up from historically terrible to mediocre. We just couldn't get over the hump.

I think that is a fair assessment.
He left the team in better shape than he found it.

DeaconJones

Rookie
I give a lot of the credit to the Rams success on the OL. It all starts there. Plus, better blocking by the TEs. The OL protects Goff to get set and make accurate throws. He is not getting sacked or taking too many heavy licks. The receivers can run their routes. The holes are opening up for Gurley and he is blowing through them. His yards-before-contact numbers have to be way bigger this year. That is due to blocking.

It is hard for me to determine exactly how much credit goes to the coaching here, certainly some. And our receivers have been more reliable than last year - less drops and better routes.

As long as the OL is healthy we will be good. I also have to think (and hope) that the pro-bowl OL vets are truly teaching and inspiring their younger, less-experienced brethren.

It is hard to handle having an offense that is truly on rails, after 10 or more years of extreme mediocrity. Like winning the lottery and learning that you can eat out and order steak in a fine restaurant instead of the McDonald's drive-through.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Fisher sucks is getting old fast hahahh
Sure it was 5 years in purgatory but it's over
Must we bring up how much Fisher sucks everytime we praise our current team?
Maybe this game will officially put the mysteries of the Fisher era to bed
You guys are actually making me feel sorry for the guy :LOL:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Fisher did upgrade the talent on defense, but the offense was atrocious and had to be totally reconstructed. Fisher also was okay with Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews and other questionable free agents moves as well. Overall, he did not want to draft Goff, he wanted to keep the picks so was Fisher better than Scott "Milquetoast" Linehan & Steve "Schizophrenia" Spagnuolo? Absolutely, but so was Harland "Swede" Svare & Richie "Poppa Smurf" Brooks!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher sucks is getting old fast hahahh
Sure it was 5 years in purgatory but it's over
Must we bring up how much Fisher sucks everytime we praise our current team?
Maybe this game will officially put the mysteries of the Fisher era to bed
You guys are actually making me feel sorry for the guy :LOL:
Sorry... five years is five years... that's a damned long time to endure mediocrity and outright lies.

I got booted off a board for seeing him as he really turned out.

I'm afraid you won't be able to count me among the fans who will just let him off the hook... at least not for a while.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Fisher did upgrade the talent on defense, but the offense was atrocious and had to be totally reconstructed. Fisher also was okay with Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews and other questionable free agents moves as well. Overall, he did not want to draft Goff, he wanted to keep the picks so was Fisher better than Scott "Milquetoast" Linehan & Steve "Schizophrenia" Spagnuolo? Absolutely, but so was Harland "Swede" Svare & Richie "Poppa Smurf" Brooks!
den,
do we know this? If so how? I had been under the suspicion that Fish preferred Wentz simply because of the McNair comparisons but you are saying he didn't want any QB and wanted to use the picks elsewhere.
Thanks in advance for your response.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sorry... five years is five years... that's a damned long time to endure mediocrity and outright lies.

I got booted off a board for seeing him as he really turned out.

I'm afraid you won't be able to count me among the fans who will just let him off the hook... at least not for a while.

Yeah it was a long ass time hahahhah

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think Fisher's demise came from micro managing the offense--purposely hiring OCs that he could control, so to speak. Look at what McVay is doing, he's letting Phillips run the D. He's not trying to give input when he's an offensive mind.

I think Fisher and Greg Williams are capable of running great defenses, but their defenses are also a bit chippy and lacked class. I think of class in the sense of what we did yesterday. We didn't take any cheap shots, and we respected them on their home turf. I don't think we would've seen that with Fisher (and obviously the 35 points on the board).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
den,
do we know this? If so how? I had been under the suspicion that Fish preferred Wentz simply because of the McNair comparisons but you are saying he didn't want any QB and wanted to use the picks elsewhere.
Thanks in advance for your response.

~ArkyRamsFan~
The only thing that I read was Fisher wanted to keep the picks once the Rams made the move the choice was Goff or Wentz & Fisher liked Goff because of red zone efficiency