Three Former Rams Are Hall Finalists

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[espn.go.com]

ST. LOUIS -- For the second consecutive year, a trio of former Rams have landed spots as modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Defensive back Aeneas Williams, running back Jerome Bettis and linebacker Kevin Greene made the list of 15, which was whittled from 25. Williams, Bettis and Greene spent varying parts of their careers with the Rams. While none are exactly remembered in the big picture for their time with the team, all made valuable contributions to the organization at some point.

Williams is probably the most familiar to Rams fans after he came to St. Louis in a trade in 2001. He promptly moved to safety and served as a veteran leader of a defense which helped the Rams reach Super Bowl XXXVI. Williams still lives in St. Louis and is active in the community. He spent most of his career in relative anonymity in Arizona, but was long regarded as one of the team's best cover corners. His time is probably coming in Canton, but this year might not be the one.

Bettis spent just one season in St. Louis after his first two came with the team in Los Angeles. He was traded to Pittsburgh in 1996 and went on to become the fifth most accomplished rusher in league history. Of this group, Bettis probably has the best chance to break through this season.

Greene never played a down for the St. Louis version of the Rams, but he played for the Los Angeles edition from 1985-1992. Greene also has local ties as he hails from nearby Granite City, Ill. Like Bettis, Greene is probably more renowned for his time with the Steelers. He finished with 160 sacks, which ranked third all time at the time of his retirement. Much like Williams, Greene's day is probably going to come, but it might not happen right away.

The competition to make it to Canton this year figures to be difficult. First-ballot candidates such as Seattle offensive tackle Walter Jones, Indianapolis wide receiver Marvin Harrison and Tampa Bay linebacker Derrick Brooks look to have strong cases to earn a nod this year. Giants end Michael Strahan, defensive end Charles Haley, Buffalo receiver Andre Reed and guard Will Shields are among the others with a shot to get in.

This year's crop of Rams candidates will pale in comparison to what the team figures to have in the next couple of years. Receiver Isaac Bruce, tackle Orlando Pace and quarterback Kurt Warner are due for Hall of Fame eligibility for the class of 2015, followed by receiver Torry Holt the following year.

PhxRam

Of the 3, who do you recognize most as being a Ram?

I am going to have to go with Greene.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I had the same thoughts when I read the piece. I don't really consider any of the Rams but of the 3 Aneas would be my pick.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
My memories of Kevin Greene are after he retired and had some wrestling stints...so definitely not him.

Bettis was only in St.Louis for a year so he does nothing for me.

Aeneas was a big part of the Rams for a few years. He spent more time in Arizona but I get the sense he really values his time St.Louis as much or more. He still lives here and seems to really appreciate his time as a Ram.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kevin Greene, probably. But that's because he was my favorite player back in the 80's.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Man I loved watching Aneas Williams. I remember that TB game that was super close and he came up with a pick 6. PLUS he ended Steve Young's career. I'm pulling for him hard.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You are so insensitive.
ha-gay-gif.gif

Alan

Legend
They'll all make it eventually IMO. There's no hurry unless one of them is ailing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know how Bettis is even being considered. I like the guy and he is a great person by all accounts but his career shouldn't even merit consideration IMO. The HOF needs to raise the bar.

Greene for sure belongs, he was a eat player and while AW was only with the Rams for 4 years he had a fantastic career and deserves to be in the HOF.